UFC tournaments?

oldschoolmmafan

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ive always thought there are somethings from Pride that the UFC could learn a thing or to from. Refs, judging and certain moves were a few but recently I have been watching the old Pride Grand prix tournaments. Great events in their own right. Now could the UFC implement such tournaments and would you like to see them?

The Ultimate Fighter is the UFC tournament.

Tournaments eliminate possibility to sell cards throughout the year. :\..

The Ultimate Fighter is the UFC tournament.

Not nobodys fighting to get a contract in the ufc? The best of the best inside the ufc fighting in an annual tournament in which the top fighters square off and a champ is crowned? Like in the Pride grand prix, have you watched much Pride?

Not nobodys fighting to get a contract in the ufc? The best of the best inside the ufc fighting in an annual tournament in which the top fighters square of and crowned champ? Like in the Pride grand prix, have you watched much Pride?

I started with Pride. Love it. I've heard Dana White reference TUF as his tournament. I suspect they'll keep the tournament stuff in their back pocket for if/when the UFC starts failing. It's awesome but a bit gimmicky. Boxing doesn't do it either... maybe they should I don't know, but they don't...

I think if there's a vacant belt or a new division being created, I think there should be a tournament.

It wouldn't matter of it's all in one day or over a period of time, I'd be interested. I think it would be better to do a tournament over a series of weeks because of fighter safety and I want a fighter to be in good physical standing before he/she fights/continues in the tournament.

I started with Pride. Love it. I've heard Dana White reference TUF as his tournament. I suspect they'll keep the tournament stuff in their back pocket for if/when the UFC starts failing. It's awesome but a bit gimmicky. Boxing doesn't do it either... maybe they should I don't know, but they don't...

boxing isnt under one banner tho

boxing isnt under one banner tho

True. And boxing is more complicated that way. Worse.

I guess its the ufc's option to have a tournament outside of tuf and they choose not to for whatever reason.

I don't think that the Athletic commissions allow one night tournaments. If you mean tournaments over the course of multiple events they did one for the flyweight belt.

I don't think that the Athletic commissions allow one night tournaments. If you mean tournaments over the course of multiple events they did one for the flyweight belt.

Strikeforce had a tournament so whatever they did...

They generally wont let one guy fight multiple times in one night anymore. Unless its a kickboxingbtoutney or something to that effect. Mma is too regulated where as kickboxing is done differently.

Strikeforce had a tournament so whatever they did...

The Strikeforce HW tournament was a tournament spread over multiple events.
The UFC literally had one in 2012 for the FLW belt.

Well the refs and judges aren't up to the UFC. Scoring MMA fights obviously needs to change though!

Open weight TUF, womens division included. I think Ronda said she can beat Cain, now its time to see.
Never going to happen, but UFC tournaments with the top level fighters is my wet dream.

They should do a tournament once every 4 years like the world cup and drop weight classes so

Hw tourney = hw +lhw
mw tourney mw+ww
lw tourney lw+fw
bw tourney 135 and all below

Would have to be spaced out over a few months to comply with regualtions,shame they cant do one night tourneys anymore.

Tournaments with fights on the same night are awesome, those take guts. But they're also dangerous for fighters, and the UFC wants more than anything to be mainstream, which means fighter safety.

They could do what SF did, have a tourney that's stretched out. The overlooked thing is that you know who's gonna fight right when the fight ends and you can make brackets that create fun match-up all-around more so than looking at empty card slots and matching 2 free fighters.

Tourneys create a lot of buzz if there are top fighters, was really pumped for the SF GP. They can and should do it.

UFC gets snakebitten every time they to do a tournament. They tried to do the Flyweight title as a tournament and even put provisions in case of a draw, somehow the fight still ended in a draw.

I like the Bellator way of dishing out title shots, the only problem is that the champ gets a lot of time off and in the UFC most of the champs dont fight enough already.

I do think the UFC needs a little more structure around the title fights my ideas:

Have #1 contender fights on the free cards, all title shots should be earned this way, then have the champs defend on the PPVs.

Maybe have the #1 contender fight in the co-main on the same night the champ fights.

I also think it would be cool to cut back the PPVs to 3-5 per year and stack them with championship fights.

They should but they wont.

Obviously they would have to spread this event out over 3 or even 4 events (cant have a fighter fight more than once per night) which I am totally cool with.

Honestly I feel that the UFC wont do it becasue they like to water down their cards. Lately they just try to sell the public on 1 or 2 fights it seems.
If they had a tourny in pretty much any division the card would be stacked and the UFC simply wouldn't be willing to dish out that type of money.
While it is disappointing they are a business so ya.

now let me wipe my tears while I think about how awesome Pride FC was.
:''(

UFC gets snakebitten every time they to do a tournament. They tried to do the Flyweight title as a tournament and even put provisions in case of a draw, somehow the fight still ended in a draw.

Pretty much what I was going to say, as well as how the SF HW GP played out. They probably don't see it a worthwhile endeavor when so much can go wrong.

I would like to see them give it another go, for sure, but if they don't, oh well. Definitely no one night stuff, though.

Back