UFC to host 31 events in 2013 (SAME as 2012)

Roger FedorAIR

It ain't easy being white
Reaction score
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/10/...national-expansion-brazil-india-asia-mma-news

A recent Sports Business Journal article on UFC sponsorship (covered in-depth by MMA Payout) revealed that the organization will stay in the same range with 31 planned pay-per-view, Fox, FX and Fuel events in 2013. Assuming there are no cancellations the rest of 2012, the UFC will have 31 live events which doesn't include the canceled UFC 151 show.

Thought I'd post this, because I'm seeing a lot of people saying that there will be more events this year, which is wrong.

Unless the UFC were to rework their broadcast deal with FOX (which is exclusive) to expand to more televised events per year, or if they were to simply just start doing more PPVs, then everyone should expect the same frequency of shows over the next few years.

Good news because adding more events would have made for less impressive cards.

Whether the UFC is doing 31 shows or 34 like Dana said at one point isn't really much of a difference.

Whether the UFC is doing 31 shows or 34 like Dana said at one point isn't really much of a difference.

Source?

Also, I'd say an extra 3 events yearly is significant, when you consider that it would average out to an additional 36 fights, which means an additional 72 fighters getting a chance to stay active when otherwise not given that opportunity...

the roster is getting bigger yet the number of events doesnt grow? Does it mean that we are gonna have many cuts after the next few events or the fighters will simply fight less often?

Instead of adding more events, UFC should book 14 or 15 fights per event.

there are plenty of fighters on the UFC roster that arent getting opportunities

:eek:

O ok. That's obviously a little old, and they obviously didn't do that many events, and it doesn't look like they're going to do that many in the near future...

It really seems like they're very strictly bound by the contracted amount of televised fights in the FOX deal (as evidenced by the TUF Brazil and TUF UK Finales not having their own events, instead being worked into PPVs/FX cards, respectively), and the only place for expansion is in the number of PPVs they decide to do each year, which I don't think that there are too many of us that want to see them do MORE of...

I couldnt see how it would be possible to do more events. They already fill up 2-3 weekends in each month. I think the number they are at is perfect. If the roster at Fl grows more, they can just add an extra undercard fight or sometime.

31(events)x12(fights per event)= 372(fights)x2=744(spots for fighters)

The UFC has 363 fighters (according to wiki) and when SF comes in they'll have more fighters. They only have enough openings to give every fighter 2 fights (assuming they keep their roster around 372 fighters.)

In order to give everyone 3 fights a year they'd need a roster of 248 fighters.

Instead of adding more events, UFC should book 14 or 15 fights per event.

SOunds good throw one or two more on facebook or if they do (which was rumored) go to FOX Sports 1 ,2 etc throw them an hour of fights. Spread the wealth.

Just wait and see what really happens

greg-jackson.jpg

People are saying there might not be enough room but I think the fact that injuries were common (and I believe will continue to be common) allows for the large roster. UFC wants to have options if a main event falls apart and if a fighter gets injured, it could be likely that only fight once or not at all for the year.

I don't understand this reference. Is this some sort of hipster Sherdog meme that I'm unaware of?

People claim that Jackson told Bones to not take the Sonnen fight, which resulted in UFC 151 being cancelled.

(I think it was Zuffa's fault btw, just joking :) )

O ok. That's obviously a little old, and they obviously didn't do that many events, and it doesn't look like they're going to do that many in the near future...

It really seems like they're very strictly bound by the contracted amount of televised fights in the FOX deal (as evidenced by the TUF Brazil and TUF UK Finales not having their own events, instead being worked into PPVs/FX cards, respectively), and the only place for expansion is in the number of PPVs they decide to do each year, which I don't think that there are too many of us that want to see them do MORE of...

i know a lot of ppl would complain because they dont get Fuel but i doubt Fox would be against more Fuel events especially for more international cards. They could do weekly cards with a couple decent names on the main card and a few up and comers as well.

They need to find space to put on these loser get cut fights and Fuel cards should be where a lot of those fights should happen. There is so many guys like for example Keith Wisniewski and Papy Abedi just taking up space on the roster and not fighting. Match them up and get one of them outta here.

Back