UFC on FOX Mid-Tier WW Title

ckalhoun

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Alright, I don't often make threads here with my goofy ideas so work with me here Sherdog.

With the recent announcement of Matt Brown vs. Dan Hardy rumored, I thought of an idea. One that might appeal to those of you who like idea of lineal titles especially.

So starting with UFC on FOX 4 (Shogun-Vera), the main card has been opened up by two decidedly mid-tier, yet exciting for the most part WW's. First we had Swick coming back from a huge layoff to KO DaMarques Johnson.

Next, on UFC on FOX 5 in December, Swick returned to the same spot, this time taking on Matt Brown. This time around it didn't go so hot for him, with "The Immortal" knocking him silly in the 2nd round.

Now the Brown is allegedly fighting Hardy on the FOX 7 card, this a continuation of what I'm labeling the FOX Mid-Tier WW Championship. It doesn't mean you're the best, or even particularly close to title contention. What it means is that you're likely the badest mother fucker half-way down the ladder and worthy of opening the FOX cards in exciting fashion.

Obviously the title wont be defended on UFC on FOX 6, but this was a neat little trend I noticed starting.

Idk though, what does Sherdog think?

so a title of best gatekeeper? its like a backhanded compliment i doubt any fighter would be happy being considered that

Matt Brown retains said WW mediocre title and goes on to defend it on FX against TJ Waldburger and loses it to one of the new generation of mid tier, yet exciting prospects

So it's like the old WWF "king" or the "million dollar belt?"

your "lineal" title started last year? At the 4th Fox event?

CSB

You win you show up opening one of the next Fox cards.

well Hardy assuredly does have a better chance of taking the Mid-Tier Welterweight Championship than he did of taking the Welterweight Championship.

so swick took the title from damar-whatever? who had it before him lol

i think Matt Brown takes retains his imaginary WW UFC on FOX opening match gatekepper title

The trend easily can be broken so its an awful idea and not really similar to the linear idea since it is meant to stay at a certain level of competition when linear titles are free to go where ever for the most part.

Anyways, I think eventually UFC will do regional titles based in countries. They would be like SF's challengers series and allow for talent to be developed and noticed in their home areas. Dana already has talked about the idea when he was talking about expanding TUF globally and making a Grand Prix eventually so who knows how much weight either of those ideas carry.

Back