***UFC on FOX 7 targeted for Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez LW Title Fight***

Jay Jay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
UFC on FOX 7 targeted for Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez lightweight title fight

After negotiating a new eight-fight extension, Benson Henderson appears poised to accept his next marching orders in the form of a highly anticipated champion vs. champion matchup.

According to sources with knowledge of the situation, the UFC has its sights set on April 20's UFC on FOX 7 event to pair UFC lightweight titleholder Henderson against Strikeforce's last reigning divisional champion, Gilbert Melendez.

The event is likely to take place in Melendez's backyard, at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California, where he competed eight times while on the Strikeforce roster. That promotion went out of business after last Saturday night's event.

hope bendo disposes of the last scrap packer left.

well, technically they're getting another chance in diaz/gsp, but you get the point.

nice, im stoked on this fight. I am a fan of Bendo but I have been a Melendez fan for a long time. I think Bendo takes this by being just a bit better at everything (UD).

Also, San Jose Arena is a good place to watch fights, been there a couple times.

The odds of a Showtime/Bendo title rematch are shrinking :/

Congrats to Gil for the TS though... tough fight to call.

if we get Bendo-Melendez and Cormier-Mir in the HP Pavilion it'd have a very cool UFC vs SF feel to it

I still think though if Pettis can get a dominant win and call out Bendo in the cage he could get front of the line

Hopefully, Cormier/Mir can be the co-main event

What a birthday (April 20th) present for me from the UFC. Proof that my favorite fighter by far (Anthony Pettis) will be screwed out of a promised title shot for the 3rd straight time.

What a birthday (April 20th) present for me from the UFC. Proof that my favorite fighter by far (Anthony Pettis) will be screwed out of a promised title shot for the 3rd straight time.

Respectfully, he shouldn't have lost to Clay Guida.

He screwed himself by losin to Guida. Obviously the UFC was gonna rematch Frankie and Gray after the draw, only a moron wouldnt of

Yes. Anthony should not take another fight, after Cerrone, if he can afford it. A late Summer Card could accomodate Ben/Pettis.
That Guida continues to haunt.

He screwed himself by losin to Guida. Obviously the UFC was gonna rematch Frankie and Gray after the draw, only a moron wouldnt of

What about the next two then? Dana said Pettis was going to get the title shot after KO'ing Lauzon errr beating Cerrone.

You can't hold a guy's OCTAGON DEBUT against him forever where out of over-exuberance of the moment he allowed his opponent to game the system for 15 minutes while he tried to finish. Guida didn't do anything to him. It's not like Pettis took damage or got finished.

3 wins, plus prior to the streak a 4-fight win streak (really should have been six in WEC), which included the current UFC champ. Let's move on already. It's perfectly acceptable he had to achieve another victory after KO'ing Lauzon, outside of the false promise, but it's enough already. 3 wins, 2-3 promises, the best win in the division; let's freaking go.

if we get Bendo-Melendez and Cormier-Mir in the HP Pavilion it'd have a very cool UFC vs SF feel to it

I still think though if Pettis can get a dominant win and call out Bendo in the cage he could get front of the line

I'm hoping we get to see both those fights on that card.

Smart move putting Bendo on another FOX card...very easy to draw in casuals with his exciting fights and showing them that fun fights can be more than just a slug fest with his well rounded skill set

Back