UFC Modern Era vs. Pioneer Era

aragona

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Yes I realize this modern era of UFC is vastly different from the bygone era and the birth of MMA in the United States but it was never quite as evident to me as it was last night....or maybe I just never really thought about it! I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on this.....today is the era of pretty faces, and manufactured personalities, the pioneers provided an aura of gunslingers, barroom tough guys and badass jocks. Sage Northcutt types or Don Frye, Tank Abbott, and Mark Coleman? For me....the Sage types with virgin ears takes the aura of danger out of the game. But then again UFC is a business and the Zuffa era is modeled after WWE....we don't have a choice!

Yes I realize this modern era of UFC is vastly different from the bygone era and the birth of MMA in the United States but it was never quite as evident to me as it was last night....or maybe I just never really thought about it! I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on this.....today is the era of pretty faces, and manufactured personalities, the pioneers provided an aura of gunslingers, barroom tough guys and badass jocks. Sage Northcutt types or Don Frye, Tank Abbott, and Mark Coleman? For me....the Sage types with virgin ears takes the aura of danger out of the game. But then again UFC is a business and the Zuffa era is modeled after WWE....we don't have a choice!
The pioneer era was a whole dif sport. How would the New era perform under the old UFC rules where everything was legal. Where you could wear a gi in the octagon and wrestling shoes.

Casuals aren't interested in the pioneer era.
No casuals =\=$$$
It sucks, but that's how it is right now.
Be careful what you wish for. Everyone wanted MMA to be more popular. It's more popular, just not the way most wanted it to be.

I liked it back in the day, better. People didn't boo, when the fight went to the ground. There was more of a syle part of fighting back in the day. IMO

The new era of fighters are great, but its just a shame the UFC only promotes one or two pretty faces who are not the best prospects. In the build up the PVZ vs Thug Rose, the UFC based all the promo around PVZ yet Rose is on a whole different level. Even after the fight PVZ gets more promo than Rose who is a similar age and way more talented.

Ironically that's also how prowrestling evolved.

Ironically that's also how prowrestling evolved.
So true....pro wrestling was regional entertainment which featured "badass" tough guys and then changed by WWF going national and featuring bodybuilders selling lunch boxes and kids vitamins.

ive been watching mma since 2001 or so and I have to say that it is much better now. Fighters are better and more well rounded and the fights are WAY more exciting and there is way more drama than before. Edson barboza in 2001 would have been the goat, but now hes just a top 10 guy.

Aren't there plenty of badass jocks? Most TOP guys would qualify as badass jocks, who cares about a few hyped pretty boys like Sage who aren't even relevant?

Aren't there plenty of badass jocks? Most TOP guys would qualify as badass jocks, who cares about a few hyped pretty boys like Sage who aren't even relevant?
Agreed.....DC, Yoel, Rumble and many others are examples of badass jocks. I guess it's the aura that's lacking...fancy suits, official athletic apparel and modern fight camps don't give the vibe of the badass off the street or gritty, dingy gym tough guy. I know, it's just a different time!

Back