• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC issues statement on choice to strip Germaine de Randamie of featherweight title

"UFC maintains that any champion is expected to accept fights against the top contenders in their respective weight classes in order to maintain the integrity of the sport.”

Bisping and Conor haven't turned down any fights! The UFC hasn't made them fight offers they have turned down. Bisping was offered the Hendo fight and accepted, he was then offered the GSP fight and didn't turn it down. Conor had his own arrangement with his time off.

It's not like these two are sitting there saying that they're not going to fight somebody that is offered to them by the UFC.

GDR on the other hand was "offered" to fight Cyborg and turned it down and that's the difference
According to Dana. Conor refused to fight aldo in a rematch. And Dana went on to say I can't force anyone to fight someone.

This is true, but you would think the UFC would actually invest in creating the division first...do a 145 TUF, or buy up what 145 girls are around. Bellator has been getting girls, and UFC hasn't done much of anything in terms of building a division they're having a championship bout for.
The only reason they created it (IMO) was to have a belt on Holly and try the unified belt thing again. WMMA 145 is not a very marketable division because the only name there has an history of being over weight and drug usage. Plus quite frankly she is not a attractive female and regardless of what anyone thinks looks sell. The rest of them are mainly bloated 135 and 125ers.

Dana-White-UFC-The-Time-Is-Now-Press-07-750.jpg
“UFC has informed Germaine de Randamie and her management team that she is being removed as the women’s featherweight champion due to her unwillingness to fight the No. 1 ranked contender, Cris ‘Cyborg’ Justino. Subsequently, top contender Justino will face newly signed Invicta FC featherweight champion Megan Anderson for the UFC women’s featherweight title in the co-main event of UFC® 214: CORMIER vs. JONES 2, July 29 in Anaheim, Calif.

UFC maintains that any champion is expected to accept fights against the top contenders in their respective weight classes in order to maintain the integrity of the sport.”

Guess this rule doesnt appy to Conor and Bisping huh ? So you guys werent trying to protect the intregrity of the sport when Conor holds divisions up for 2 years ? Or When Bisping fights RANK 13, Middle age man for the belt ?
The difference is if the UFC tells you to face the top contender you have to do it. Those other cases the UFC decided to make the champs not face the number one contenders.

Good precedent to set, but it is a double standard at the moment.

Wonder if they'll attempt the same tactic with Mighty Mouse.

I dunno.

Some champions have leverage. Some don't.

I don't think that's quite the same thing as a "double standard."

If no one thinks your the legit top dog of the division, and you refuse to fight the person everyone thinks is the top dog of the division, this is the likely outcome.

I dunno.

Some champions have leverage. Some don't.

I don't think that's quite the same thing as a "double standard."

If no one thinks your the legit top dog of the division, and you refuse to fight the person everyone thinks is the top dog of the division, this is the likely outcome.
The double standard is that they say in the statement that they're stripping De Randamie because of her unwillingness to fight the next top athlete in her weight class, but that's exactly what they're in dispute with Demetrious Johnson with, except in that case, they're annoyed that Johnson wants to fight the next merited contender in his weight class, and they want him to fight a competitor from a heavier weight class.

In both situations, though, I'm in agreement with the UFC. It's just difficult to make a policy out of (and ridiculous to say in a statement), because every situation has its own unique circumstances.

The double standard is that they say in the statement that they're stripping De Randamie because of her unwillingness to fight the next top athlete in her weight class, but that's exactly what they're in dispute with Demetrious Johnson with, except in that case, they're annoyed that Johnson wants to fight the next merited contender in his weight class, and they want him to fight a competitor from a heavier weight class.

Yes. But it depends on how you take that statement. They are stripping her because she won't fight who they want her to fight and they want her to fight that person because that person is the top ranked contender in the division.

They want DJ to fight someone else.

UFC maintains that any champion is expected to accept fights against the top contenders in their respective weight classes in order to maintain the integrity of the sport.”

FdfuL9t.gif

After Megan, everybody else should just stay at 135 and leave Cyborg by herself. You don't make a whole new division to accommodate a woman that refuses to lose her pharmaceutically obtained muscle mass and fight at 135.

UFC should have said Germaine refuses to fight 33% of the division. An additional 33% being her.

The wording makes me think that we'll hear a DJ/RayBorg announcement soon.

"UFC maintains that any champion is expected to accept fights against the top contenders in their respective weight classes in order to maintain the integrity of the sport.”

Bisping and Conor haven't turned down any fights! The UFC hasn't made them fight offers they have turned down. Bisping was offered the Hendo fight and accepted, he was then offered the GSP fight and didn't turn it down. Conor had his own arrangement with his time off.

It's not like these two are sitting there saying that they're not going to fight somebody that is offered to them by the UFC.

GDR on the other hand was "offered" to fight Cyborg and turned it down and that's the difference
conor would not fight khabib or tony but instead was making them fight each other to knock off a top contender. Its the same thing man. He has his reasons but its a complete dbl standard the way he gets treated, but he deserves it in the same since, hes making the money

I still find it crazy that she didn't want to fight Cyborg with her belt on the line. It would have been by FAR her biggest payday. I mean why not just take the ass kicking and take home that big check? I'm sure the UFC won't let her sniff a TS let alone ever give her one. What a dumb move on her part.

I still find it crazy that she didn't want to fight Cyborg with her belt on the line. It would have been by FAR her biggest payday. I mean why not just take the ass kicking and take home that big check? I'm sure the UFC won't let her sniff a TS let alone ever give her one. What a dumb move on her part.
How would it be a big payday? Cyborg is not a draw so its not PPV points. I doubt a Borg/GDR drew 200k.

yes, like moving up to challenge the champ above him. or participate in one of the biggest fights of all time. so much worse. than winning one fight and deciding to just sit it out from here.
What about retiring? What about taking 9 months off to party and an additional 4 or 5 for this farcical Mayweather fight? What about him never defending a belt? What about him holding up the deepest division in MMA currently? Conor just doesn't turn down number one contenders, he only fights selective matches. Maybe if you hoped off his dick you could see this.

What about retiring? What about taking 9 months off to party and an additional 4 or 5 for this farcical Mayweather fight? What about him never defending a belt? What about him holding up the deepest division in MMA currently? Conor just doesn't turn down number one contenders, he only fights selective matches. Maybe if you hoped off his dick you could see this.

i see that conor has taken fights he was less likely to win. continuously. you see that as ducking the easier challenge. you're allowed.

there will be 9 months between eddie and floyd fights.

Wait a minute now. You mean to tell me a privately owned company only cares about money matches? Man that seems like a horrible business decision trying to make as much money as possible.
You must have missed what they said about the champion must defend the title against top contenders but carry on

You must have missed what they said about the champion must defend the title against top contenders but carry on
I saw it. The rankings are made up and the titles are made up. They reserve the right to dictate all of that. So again they will do what makes them the most money, as they should.

i see that conor has taken fights he was less likely to win. continuously. you see that as ducking the easier challenge. you're allowed.

there will be 9 months between eddie and floyd fights.
Conor has been the favourite in almost all his fights odds wise bro, so that's a fail. Last time I checked Floyd ain't in the UFC and Conor will have taken more time off then GDR. GDRS division has 3 ppl in it Conor's has a 100. What is worse to hold up? You like the guy but be realistic. By the time he recovers from the Floyd fight it will be a year of not defending the belt no injuries, in the deepest division in MMA. The thing is he will retire after the Floyd fight anyways making this a moot point. For real though your man crush is blinding you.

Back