UFC fighter Marcelo Rojo apologizes for racist posts; Dana White, Brandon Moreno disapprove

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really need someone to explain to you why you shouldn't be an asshole? Really? Are you 5?
Normal people don't think of monkeys when they think of darker skinned people.

Reason why you weaseled out on answering the question is cause you're carrying that racist shit in you, projecting the absolute worst of it on others while hiding behind fake virtue.

Last edited:
Different cultures.. hard to judge.

Honestly.. we (argentinians) do not fit with the PC and cancel culture. Fuck that. When we get trashed we roll with the punches and hit back.
Walid is being a bitch here.
Argentinians are widely known for being racist pieces of shit. One of the few countries that warmly embraced Nazi war criminals post WW2. Of course not all of them, one of sweetest guys I know is Argentinian. But Argentinians have a huge racist problem. Arrogant people.

I dont buy it. Brazil and Argentina are rivals mostly because soccer games. Argentina doesnt have many black people while Brazil is more mixed. Its common to see them chantin monkey jokes and making racist gests and they obviously know what this means. People were sugesting to him use the same filter in Adesanya face, what Deyverson and him have in common?

Who cares.
How are so many of these so called tough guys getting so offended, Figuerido isn’t going to be able to take too many elbows with skin so thin.

Normal people don't think of monkeys when they think of darker skinned people.

Reason why you weaseled out on answering the question is cause you're carrying that racist shit in you, projecting the absolute worst of it on others while hiding behind fake virtue.
Knowing what is racist terminology/imagery means you're racist? Cmon man you just become aware of these things with an understanding of history and people

People have a right to feel offended hearing someone disrespect their nationality/culture. I mean it's part of who they are.
GTFOH. I’m white British and it’s the most fashionable thing ever to disrespect anything and everyone English, it’s like an ongoing joke, there are even TV programmes made which blatantly disrespect England and English people. That’s literally the entire point of the show. I don’t give two fucks because I am not a sensitive little cry baby.

UFC_JB_2021_03_13_0230_2021031361622274.0.jpg

Brandon Moreno’s cornerman and UFC fighter Marcelo Rojo sparked controversy two days before his friend’s title rematch with flyweight champion Deiveson Figueiredo at UFC 263 in Glendale, AZ, with a few posts on social media.

Rojo posted a series of pictures on his Instagram page with a filter that gave Figueiredo a monkey face. Calling Brazilians “monkeys” are a racist insult usually seen in the soccer world for decades in Rojo’s home country of Argentina, and it drew outrage from Figueiredo’s team. Wallid Ismail, manager for the champion, posted the images on his social media calling for “every racist” to be “banned from the sport.”

Rojo, who set his Instagram page private after the controversy began, opened it up again hours later with a statement in Portuguese in which he apologized “for offending people yesterday, which wasn’t the intention.”

Speaking with MMA Fighting on Saturday, Rojo said he wasn’t aware that those filters could have a racist implication in Brazil.

“I apologize to everybody, to people I don’t even know,” Rojo wrote in a text message. “Wallid is making this bigger than it is, I was just was putting filters on the [Instagram] live. I put a lot to all the fighters, I use the baby Yoda, the mustache filter, the monkey, on every fighter in the press conference, we were joking around… Then [Figueiredo] push Brandon and we start shouting, and someone screenshot the live and pass me the image. I upload it for fun, to make jokes to get [Figueiredo] more angry than he already is, but not to make this a racist thing.

“I do not know Brazil history, I’m from Argentina but I hate [soccer], I never watch an entire game, I did not know that was a real offense to the Brazilian people. I make a big mistake and regret it. I apologize to the people, I apologize to Wallid, I even apologize to master Rafael Cordeiro who I know him, who train me six months, and he explained it to me. Also, this is nothing to do with the Argentinian president, I am not living in Argentina since 2015. It was al a big mistake. In Mexico we joke around every time like this and it’s a big cultural gap that I missed. And I’m sorry again.”

Earlier this week, Argentina president Alberto Fernandez also started controversy between the countries by saying that “Mexicans emerged from Indigenous people, Brazilians emerged from the jungle but we Argentines arrived on boats.” Fernandes later apologized on Twitter, writing “I didn’t set out to offend, but in any case, if anyone felt offended or made invisible, I offer an apology.”

Rojo, who is 0-1 in the UFC and is currently slated to face Kevin Croom at a UFC Fight Night event in August, said he will be in Moreno’s corner tonight at UFC 263 and “it’s all clear.” He also criticized Ismail for his recent comments about UFC middleweight champion Israel Adesanya, telling Sherdog that Adesanya “has homosexual instincts and he should be studied by science” after apparently humping on Paulo Costa at UFC 253 in 2020.

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Guess this ties into what president of his country said few days ago too

Argentina’s president, Alberto Fernández, has triggered a Twitter storm and a regional race debate with misjudged comments to visiting Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez of Spain that sought to play up the South American country’s ties with Europe.

“The Mexicans came from the Indians, the Brazilians came from the jungle, but we Argentines came from the ships. And they were ships that came from Europe,” Fernández said, referring to the many European migrants who arrived in the country. He later apologized for the comments and said his country’s diversity”

From following soccer Brazil and Argentina seem to dislike each other

Argentinians are widely known for being racist pieces of shit. One of the few countries that warmly embraced Nazi war criminals post WW2. Of course not all of them, one of sweetest guys I know is Argentinian. But Argentinians have a huge racist problem. Arrogant people.
See? I'm not going to cry like Wallid and some shertards because you said this. Who cares?

Knowing what is racist terminology/imagery means you're racist?
Knowing isn't racist, but not knowing is, though, right? We can't even consider that hey maybe didn't know. He's gotta get canceled no matter what.

If so, then yes - knowing what is racist terminology/imagery means you're racist. Everyone involved with this topic on every level is a scumbag.

Comparing black people with monkey is a racial slur since forever.
But argentinians do that A LOT in soccer with brazilians.

So I really doubt he didn’t know this.
We don't call them monkeys tho. In my 34 years I've never heard that.
We are just mad because they have better beaches and they are actually better at soccer. Women are debatable tho.

They sure do. And people have a right to call them bitches.

Feel free to make fun of Canada and Canadians all you want. I didn't care even back when I did have some national pride.

GTFOH. I’m white British and it’s the most fashionable thing ever to disrespect anything and everyone English, it’s like an ongoing joke, there are even TV programmes made which blatantly disrespect England and English people. That’s literally the entire point of the show. I don’t give two fucks because I am not a sensitive little cry baby.

So you guys are offended that people find certain things... Offense?

It probably was t racist but why distract your fighter like that? Corner people and a fighters entourage should lay low during fight week.

I have a hard time laying blame here when I myself knew nothing about the whole Brazilian - monkey insult thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back