• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC Featherweight fighter receives Bachelor’s Degree in Economics

Even if he makes less at a desk job than fighting, he'll likely have insurance, 401K and other benefits. Sets him up for the rest of his life.

Yes, but then he sits at a desk for 40 years.

On the degree discussion: none of them are actually hard, you just can't be dumb AND lazy. One of both is fine.

and where calculus will 99% not be used in the work setting. Just shows how impractical the education system can sometimes (or many times) be.
Sure, tons of jobs don’t require anything beyond basic math acumen, but a solid, quantitative econ degree (or other math-intensive degree) sets you up for LOTS of great high-paying career options; be it quantitative marketing, finance, litigation, public policy, analytics, mgmt/econ consulting, etc. Not to mention the graduate degrees it sets you up for quite nicely; doctoral work in nearly any social science, mba programs, jd programs, etc.

I don't doubt what you said. My dislike/criticism of the current education system is simply that it still has many impractical requirements and courses that it creates unnecessary obstacles for students.

The Calculus requirement for an economic degree is one great example of that.

Calculus serves no functional purpose other than simply being a roadblock to prevent students from entering into the field.

In my opinion, there are more practical and constructive ways of selecting the right students for the field. For instance, Microsoft Excel and consumer math (buy/sell/interest/profits) are super practical for economic fields. So instead of requiring students to take Calculus, have the student take courses on MS Excel and consumer math.

Both are very doable but at the same time, they would naturally filter out students by showing them that this field is interesting (or not interesting) to them.

I don't doubt what you said. My dislike/criticism of the current education system is simply that it still has many impractical requirements and courses that it creates unnecessary obstacles for students.

Calculus serves no functional purpose other than simply being a roadblock to prevent students from entering into the field.

In my opinion, there are more practical and constructive ways of selecting the right students for the field. For instance, Microsoft Excel and consumer math (buy/sell/interest/profits) are super practical for economic fields. So instead of requiring students to take Calculus, have the student take courses on MS Excel and consumer math.

Both are very doable but at the same time, they would naturally filter out students by showing them that this field is interesting (or not interesting) to them.

Economic analyses involved in econometrics and microeconomics absolutely require calculus - it’s not just an arbitrary barrier to entry. Now, a lot of people who major in econ end up not working in environments where they do economic analyses and don’t necessarily have to use calc, but the practice of economics requires a fundamental understanding and utilization of calculus.

Last edited:
Economic analyses involved in econometrics and microeconomics absolutely require calculus - it’s not just an arbitrary barrier to entry. Now, a lot of people who major in econ end up not working in environments where they do economic analyses and don’t necessarily have to use calc, but the practice of economics requires a fundamental understanding and utilization of calculus.

Maybe he thinks that the field of economics are still stuck in the days of Adam Smith.
I remembered some dufus saying that LSE was a liberal (in the American context) place like it was a hotbed of marxist thought.

Economic analyses involved in econometrics and microeconomics absolutely require calculus - it’s not just an arbitrary barrier to entry.

Now, a lot of people who major in econ end up not working in environments where they do economic analyses and don’t necessarily have to use calc,

This is exactly my point. 99% of econ majors don't end up becoming economic analyzers / scientists, which is why requiring calculus for the basic economic degree is very impractical.

It would make more sense to require an economic-specific calculus class (not general calculus) for those who want to get a specialized Masters or pHD in economic analysis or something similar, but not bachelor of Econ.

I had a classmate in college who had to waste 2 semesters to retake calculus for his economic major, and 98-99% of the calculus in the textbook was calculus that is applicable for engineering.

In addition, I remember two of my professors (one calculus, one math philosopher) telling us how using calculus to predict the market is as accurate as throwing darts blindfolded at a spinning wheel.

but the practice of economics requires a fundamental understanding and utilization of calculus.

Can you give an example?

Whether or not someone thinks the degree is useful is a different question alltogether (ie macro-economists “throwing darts at a board” to predict market fluctuations).

I think one misunderstanding many people have is that economics is all a macro study of “the economy” and markets. I took one macro class in my undergraduate degree in economics, along with intermediate micro, econometrics, public economics, development economics, behavioral economics, industrial organization, and natural resource economics, among others. Each of those classes required differential calculus to either optimize prices, quantities, or bundles of goods, or integral calculus to integrate under a curve to determine lost profits/damages.

Genuinely not trying to be argumentative - I agree that education can be fixed in many ways and that classes in utilizing practical skills like functions in excel are far more important for the lay student who won’t double major in math and econ and go to Berkeley for a PhD. However, the study of economics and doing economic analysis does require calculus.

Whether or not someone thinks the degree is useful is a different question alltogether (ie macro-economists “throwing darts at a board” to predict market fluctuations).

I think one misunderstanding many people have is that economics is all a macro study of “the economy” and markets. I took one macro class in my undergraduate degree in economics, along with intermediate micro, econometrics, public economics, development economics, behavioral economics, industrial organization, and natural resource economics, among others. Each of those classes required differential calculus to either optimize prices, quantities, or bundles of goods, or integral calculus to integrate under a curve to determine lost profits/damages.

Genuinely not trying to be argumentative - I agree that education can be fixed in many ways and that classes in utilizing practical skills like functions in excel are far more important for the lay student who won’t double major in math and econ and go to Berkeley for a PhD. However, the study of economics and doing economic analysis does require calculus.

I totally see where you're coming from, believe me, and calculus definitely has a place in economics at the higher / specialized areas.

By the way, I know there are a lot of really smart people and people who could potentially be in positions to make a lot of positive social changes posting on Sherdogs (not sarcasm :D), so I hope to get the message out. :)

Last edited:
Back