UFC Champions by age - HW

30 years into the sport:

From the top 2 MMA organizations in the world:

• 2 out of 19 champions are in their 20's: Pettis (27) and Namajunas (28)
  • 3 out of 19 are exactly 31
  • 2 out of 19 are exactly 32
  • 17 out of 19 champions are 31+ years old
  • 12 out of 19 champions are 33+ years old
  • Each org has 1 current double champion: Nunes (32), and Pitbull (33)
Not a single current champion under 27. The 2 out of 19 that are under 31 are brand new champions. I only counted the double champs once each, so in all actuality, it's 2 out of 21 that are under 31 - 9.52%

Again, I don't understand what you mean, what you are quoting. 27-29 is what you posted in the OP's of weight class averages below MW. First div over 30 would be MW. My conclusion of that is weight affecting age of becoming champ.

If you want to stat what I wrote about Bas, Randy and Coleman's ages you show the HW average age without them. Not the current age for champions. Bas 34, Coleman 33 and Randy 34, 37 and 43 would be a median age of 36,2. That would make the age of all HW's lower, which is what my point was.

Again, I don't understand what you mean, what you are quoting. 27-29 is what you posted in the OP's of weight class averages below MW. First div over 30 would be MW. My conclusion of that is weight affecting age of becoming champ.

If you want to stat what I wrote about Bas, Randy and Coleman's ages you show the HW average age without them. Not the current age for champions. Bas 34, Coleman 33 and Randy 34, 37 and 43 would be a median age of 36,2. That would make the age of all HW's lower, which is what my point was.

Randy at 43 is the only outlier. I showed you the current champions in response to your claim that in the early days, guys were older by default, and it was skewing the numbers, which it is not. 30 years into the sport, 19 out of 21 current champions are 31+. That's over 90%. This is also a different stat than the OP for each division, as the OPs only show their age when they initially won the title.

The average age of champions in lower weightclasses is obviously going to be a bit lower, as people tend to gain weight as they enter their early to mid 30's, and will most commonly move up a division, yet it's still very consistent across the board for the average to be 29+. 3 out of 8 are 30+, 3 are 29+, and only 2 are below 29, with zero being below 27. One of the 2 has the lowest sample size (5), and the second youngest champion ever (Aldo at 24), so that skews the numbers. Aldo also held that belt for many years, so the average is a bit deceiving to show so low. 75% of the 8 men's divisions have an average over 29 years old.

The average age of the last 5 (most current) UFC HW champions is 36.5, which is higher than the 36.2 you're referencing here. That kind of immediately disproves your theory.

Updated the OP to show the average age when they were stripped of, lost, or vacated their title.

This number is a bit deceptive at the moment because we have two current champions who have not lost their title yet.

@Shaddows

I updated every fucking division with the average age in which they lost the title, you whore.

@Shaddows

I updated every fucking division with the average age in which they lost the title, you whore.
ily-that70s-show.gif

You are the best!!!
Let me take a look at them!!!

Last edited:
*= interim champion

HEAVYWEIGHTS

Mark Coleman - 33 -W/L
Maurice Smith - 35W - 36L
Randy Couture - 34W - 34 vacated
Bas Rutten - 34W - 34 vacated
Kevin Randleman - 28W - 29L
Randy Couture - 37W - 39L
Josh Barnett - 25W - 25 stripped
Ricco Rodriguez - 25W/L
Tim Sylvia - 27W - 27 stripped
Frank Mir - 25W - 25 stripped
Andrei Arlovski - 26W - 27L
Tim Sylvia - 30W - 31L
Randy Couture - 43W - 45L
Nog - 32*W/L
Brock Lesnar - 31W - 33L
Frank Mir - 29*W - 30L
Shane Carwin - 35*W/L
Cain Velasquez - 28W - 29L
Junior Dos Santos - 27W - 29L
Cain Velasquez - 30W - 33L
Fabricio Werdum - 37*/38W - 39L
Stipe Miocic - 34W - 36L
Daniel Cormier - 39W/L
Stipe Miocic - 37W - 38L
Francis Ngannou - 34 (lies)
Cyril Gane - 31*

Youngest - 25
Oldest - 43
Average age when they won the title = 31.79
Average age when they were stripped of, lost, or vacated the title = 32.63

Current MMA Champions by age
UFC Champions by age - LHW
UFC Champions by age - MW
UFC Champions by age - WW

UFC Champions by age - LW
UFC Champions by age - FW
UFC Champions by age - BW
UFC Champions by age - FLW

If they were within a few months (2-3) of their next birthday, I rounded up.

That shines a bright light on the amazing feat Randy did (his second time - 43W - 45L), which is quite often not perceived that great due to his overall record.

That shines a bright light on the amazing feat Randy did (his second time - 43W - 45L), which is quite often not perceived that great due to his overall record.

To be fair, he only defended it one time (vs Gonzaga) between winning and losing the title in that run. Still pretty crazy he did it at that age. He fought some giants too. If Gonzaga didn't cheat vs Mirko, we would've had Cro Cop vs Handy for the title. He ruined everything.

To be fair, he only defended it one time (vs Gonzaga) between winning and losing the title in that run. Still pretty crazy he did it at that age. He fought some giants too. If Gonzaga didn't cheat vs Mirko, we would've had Cro Cop vs Handy for the title. He ruined everything.
hahaha Agreed
The way he caught Cro Cop with that kick... that was a freak role-reversal!!!
I was sad but at the same time amazed it happened... I would have never thought someone would kick-KO Cro Cop like that! That was HIS weapon!!!

hahaha Agreed
The way he caught Cro Cop with that kick... that was a freak role-reversal!!!
I was sad but at the same time amazed it happened... I would have never thought someone would kick-KO Cro Cop like that! That was HIS weapon!!!

He fucking cheated.

He fucking cheated.
hahahahahahahahahaha
Indeed!!!!!
But fucking Cro Cop.... his UFC run was no not-Cro-Cop-Like!!! Even he admitted.
It saddens me that we didn't end up to see the great Cro Cop at his best.

But his run (and Fedor's) made me understand how hard it was to change from ring to a cage, change of rules (to the unified MMA rules), etc...
This sport is unforgiving, and hesitation cost you too much!

I recall Wandi, when he came to the UFC, he dropped a fighter (don't recall who it was) and automatically almost kicked him in the head... he awkwardly stopped the kick, but lost precious time and the guy stood up before he could do anything... if I recall he lost that fight (decision) and I kept thinking... if kicks were allowed, it would have been another murderous victory for Wandi...

Updated to show Jon Jones winning the HW title.
  • Average age when they won the title went from 32.89 to 33.2
  • Jones is the 27th HW Champion in UFC history

Last edited:
UPDATE!

- Added interim champ Aspinall (30) to the list
- Average age when they won the title went from 33.2 to 31.84

Back