UFC cards should have a certain structure

mmmjojo

Tapped in 1.3 secs
@Brown
Reaction score
I've always felt that a PPV and a FN should be constructed a certain way. Yes I know injuries can really hamper things but UFC 190 is a prime example of hoping that Ronda can carry a whole card on her alone. IMO, every PPV should be a double title fight or the co-main should be a fight between 2 fighters of name and signifigance. The 3rd fight should be between 2 fighters that are ranked in the top 10 while the 4th and 5th fights should be left for guys that are either up n' comers that you wanna showcase or guys that put on exciting fights that may not be going anywhere. I'm gonna use fights that have happened or are gonna happen as examples.

Weidman/Rockhold
RR/Bethe or someting like JDS/Overeem
Shogun/Nogureia- This fight is not co-main worthy anymore but its still a good fight between 2 ranked fighters. This could be a FN main event that would draw viewers due to their names.
Stephens/Bermudez, Gomi/Lauzon, Thompson/Ellenberger, Tate/Smith are fights that can open the card as 4th and 5th that can get the crowd into it right away.

Problem with all this is that there are too many cards a year that take away depth on PPV. Now we have a card like 190 that makes us go, meh.

Main event between involving a top 10/top 5 guy.
Co-main involving other top 10 fighters
Name fight
Journeyman fight
New contender/prospect

Prelims should mostly contain new blood/young prospects with a decent name-fighter headlining.

2015 has probably been the most successful year for fights both in terms of PPV sales and producing exciting matches. I think they know what they are doing.

UFC believes in Ronda's star power, but the only way to truly measure it is to put it to the test. If she only fights on stacked cards you can't genuinely measure this.

I agree PPV should have two title fights then the 3rd fight is a guaranteed title shot for the winner, then you can put some good fights together and if a title holder isn't ready or injured then interim title fight, those fights are still exciting IE: Cormier/Rumble, Mcgregor/Mendes, Lawler/Hendricks.. Ronda can lead a card but throw in a good number 1 contender fight or they could've added the Johnson/Dodson fight as the co, or even show case more of the female fighters from the 2 weight classes. I know they don't want to water down the title fights by having to many but the last PPV getting Lawler/McDonald and Mendes/Mcgregor why would you want anything less than that on a PPV now. FN since they are free can still be random,

Back