UFC can hold 23 title fights a year

markg171

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So I posted this in another thread, but I thought I'd make a thread so everybody else could see. So in 2012 we got 13 title fights:

FLW: 1
BW: 1
FW: 1
LW: 3
WW: 2
MW: 1
LHW: 2
HW: 2

That's with GSP being injured, Cruz being injured, Aldo being injured, Silva jumping weight classes, Jones only fighting twice when he likes fighting 3-4 times a year and getting injured, the flyweight division only having its first title fight this year and being delayed by McCall/Johnson, Condit not defending his interim belt, and Barao not defending his interim belt. If all this hadn't occurred, say GSP defended his belt twice like he normally does, Cruz defended his belt 2-3 times like he normally does, Aldo defended his belt three times like he was supposed to this year, Silva twice, Jones 3, flyweight let's say 2-3 times at the rate Demetrious fights, that makes 21 title fights in one year and that doesn't include Ronda defending her belt or Condit and Barao defending their titles as in that alternate reality they'd never get an interim belt as the champs were healthy. This year we have the addition of a new champ in Ronda, so say Ronda defends her belt twice in a year like she fought last year that makes 23 possible title fights I believe, based on the champion's rate of fighting in the last year or so and if no champion gets injured. This is of course highly unlikely to occur as evidenced by the fact that we only got 13 title fights in 2012. A possible tally then of the fights per division would be this:

FLW: 3
BW: 3
WBW: 2
FW: 3
LW: 3
WW: 2
MW: 2
LHW: 3
HW: 2

Just something I wanted to point out as a kinda maximum rate of championship fights we're likely to see with the current champions in a year. It's not a fixed limit obviously as some fighters can fight more than they normally do, such as GSP targeting such a quick turn around date that it's not impossible to believe he might be looking to fight 3 times this year. Plus this is only calculated to the current champions. I don't have the numbers that any other new champs could do or if the title changes hands frequently in the year as its 1am, but keep in mind that new champs tend to have more frequent title fights early on as they need to get defences under their belt to legitimize their reign (that's what I find at least - look to Ben, he got more title fights in this year than any other champ and he's the newest)

Cool post TS: A lot of things would have to go right for it to happen but imagine what an epic year of MMA that would be!

Awesome post. It'd be a long shot and everything would have to go perfectly but with 23 title fights they could headline all the PPVs with title fights as well as some FOX/FX cards

Awesome post. It'd be a long shot and everything would have to go perfectly but with 23 title fights they could headline all the PPVs with title fights as well as some FOX/FX cards

Based on my count there was 17 PPV/Fox cards this year, so we could see multiple championship fights per card if everything went perfect

2 MAYBE 3 title defenses IMHO per champ should be required a year. In 12 months let say you have a 4 month camp (some fighters only do 2-3) that gives you 4 months off time. Completely reasonable and gives time for contenders to emerge.

2 MAYBE 3 title defenses IMHO per champ should be required a year. In 12 months let say you have a 4 month camp (some fighters only do 2-3) that gives you 4 months off time. Completely reasonable and gives time for contenders to emerge.

That's what's so depressing when you look at the breakdown of title fights per division with these champions as their normal fight schedule would suggest that they'd normally be fighting 3 times a year, with the exception being WW, MW, and HW. WW and MW have long dominant champs so they're allowed to fight less due to the simple fact that challengers can be lacking and their reigns are long established, but Cain should definitely be trying to get in 3 title defences in 2013 as he's a new champ. I understand why him and JDS weren't scheduled to fight till the end of the year event as its good for business, but there's no point in leaving the divisions to wait around so long.

Looking at the tally breakdown, it's actually pretty amazing that Aldo tried to fight 3 times last year as he's also a very established and dominant champ. I wish Silva would try and get in 3 title fights a year. I appreciate him stepping up to fight Bonnar on short notice, but it just took away time he could be spending at MW as he's going to be away for awhile now and he's not getting younger.

As we go through 3 contenders a year TS, I must ask who are these Champs fighting next year? Because if we had 23 title fights this last year, 2012, then we wouldn't have much to look forward to, unless Kampmann vs GSP is a fight you want to see soon.

As we go through 3 contenders a year TS, I must ask who are these Champs fighting next year? Because if we had 23 title fights this last year, 2012, then we wouldn't have much to look forward to, unless Kampmann vs GSP is a fight you want to see soon.

No idea but we got a whole year for contenders to emerge. In 2011 Weidman was nobody, Hendricks wasn't anybody either for example. Now they're contenders after a good year. I also wouldn't mind another season of TUF Comeback for example and give the winner a title shot. Sure made things interesting last time it happened and it should be pretty obvious by now that the UFC is entertainment, not sport. I dunno, there's always the chance that you could run out of contenders, but like I said those numbers are only for the current champs. Jones could get knocked out and suddenly LHW is a lot more interesting and has contenders as you no longer have to worry about rematches or finding new opponents

Nothing is saying a contender has to fight for the title, Jones vs Sonnen says it all. Same with the next FW and WW title fights, the guys fighting aren't the top contenders but the fights will make money no doubt. Like what if Aldo does lose and now he's next in line at LW? Situations like this may arise.

Nothing is saying a contender has to fight for the title, Jones vs Sonnen says it all. Same with the next FW and WW title fights, the guys fighting aren't the top contenders but the fights will make money no doubt. Like what if Aldo does lose and now he's next in line at LW? Situations like this may arise.

The more i think about it, the more i am losing interest in no. 1 contender status. mainly because the no. 1 contender rarely ever gets the fight nowadays. i am completely fine with the champ fighting others in the division as long as his belt is up for grabs 3x a year. any given night the champ could be dethroned. if the no. 1 contender criteria has to be given up to see the champ fight more often than so be it IMHO.

also with that being said, if the champ is the true champ they will call out and accept the toughest fights anyways.

No idea but we got a whole year for contenders to emerge. In 2011 Weidman was nobody, Hendricks wasn't anybody either for example. Now they're contenders after a good year. I also wouldn't mind another season of TUF Comeback for example and give the winner a title shot. Sure made things interesting last time it happened and it should be pretty obvious by now that the UFC is entertainment, not sport. I dunno, there's always the chance that you could run out of contenders, but like I said those numbers are only for the current champs. Jones could get knocked out and suddenly LHW is a lot more interesting and has contenders as you no longer have to worry about rematches or finding new opponents

Realistically you would need at least two to three viable contenders a year, not this one or two shit. With one or two you get one or two title fights. And this stance that well if so and so loses then you can recycle things. Bullshit. Try and plan a recycling gig around guys like Silva, GSP and Jones losing anytime soon. It could happen, but it could be worse, Cain and Bendo could do the same thing, dominate. And if they are fighting three title fights a year at HW, man, that division is boring fast with a dominate champ who has already beaten half the division and just became champ.

The UFC isn't going to pull out all the bells and whistles for a GSP PPv against Rick Story because he beat three guys GSP beat last year. No one gives a shit about that fight now, and that's at the pace of a title fight or two every year. Imagine the scenario with 3 title fights a year. It can't happen, it won't happen, not for a while. Years maybe.

Realistically you would need at least two to three viable contenders a year, not this one or two shit. With one or two you get one or two title fights. And this stance that well if so and so loses then you can recycle things. Bullshit. Try and plan a recycling gig around guys like Silva, GSP and Jones losing anytime soon. It could happen, but it could be worse, Cain and Bendo could do the same thing, dominate. And if they are fighting three title fights a year at HW, man, that division is boring fast with a dominate champ who has already beaten half the division and just became champ.

The UFC isn't going to pull out all the bells and whistles for a GSP PPv against Rick Story because he beat three guys GSP beat last year. No one gives a shit about that fight now, and that's at the pace of a title fight or two every year. Imagine the scenario with 3 title fights a year. It can't happen, it won't happen, not for a while. Years maybe.

By your logic you want to always see the champ fighting the #2 guy in the division. Well the problem is there's this common misconception that the champ is always fighting the #2 guy in the division and thus the champ needs to fight against the best competition. The reality is they're fighting the fight that makes sense at the moment or is an interesting fight. GSP got by just fine with finding opponents and people to fight even though Fitch was still the #2 guy in the division for 3 years after losing to GSP. The reality is that title fights are just about finding someone to fight who's "worked their way a title shot" or can have a case made for them; they don't have to actually have earned their shot by being the best the division has to offer.

I mean come on and be serious and try and tell me you thought Nate Diaz was the #2 guy at LW? He was on a 3 fight win streak after coming back down from WW with his tail between his legs and it was a "Fuck it, this is an easy fight to market and should be fun... Oh and look he's got 3 wins in a row!" fight. It should have been pretty obvious that he's always had problems with wrestlers and Ben would most likely do exactly what he did. But man was I excited for that fight even if it only "made sense at the time" and wasn't the best fighting the best because I thought it could be a good scrap. Hell I loved the idea of Jones/Belfort and I love the idea of Jones/Sonnen. Are they the best fights the division has to offer? Hell no, but they provide time for other contenders to emerge, are semi interesting, and I'd rather see the champ fight than not fight at all

Last edited:
also with that being said, if the champ is the true champ they will call out and accept the toughest fights anyways.

That's what I love about Jones fighting Chael and Vitor. Should either of those guys be getting title shots at LHW? No but Jones is taking the fight and I'm a lot more interested to see new guys over Machida/Shogun getting rematches when nothing's changed. Would I rather have seen Henderson fight? Ya of course, but the champ isn't allowed to complain about challengers. God knows when they were the challenger they would've taken any chance possible to fight for the title (and most did as many of our current champs got weird title shots) so how can they deny anyone else?

Back