UFC brass knows Wooley/Thompson IS a MONEY- if.......

UltimateMoving

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
they start hyping it up right now. This is the only moment in time this fight will be attractive to on the fence PPViewers . They should start a 24 style or MAC LIFE style documentary showing the current best WW's (woodley and wonderboy) and start building up the face to face animosity . Tyron is going to be slightly bitter about the decision and Wonderboy will be gearing up for the big opportunity, and the fact that
Nick Diaz is not going to be a draw much bigger than Thompson at this stage in time. UFC should cash in on this as really strong CO-Mainevent or Mainevent for UFC 204. Hell if they were really smart they wouldve already made the fight official for 203, since Tyron was fresh due to the quick KO..

I think Woodley is only interested in that quick of a turnaround for the right money and right opponent.

GSP isnt confirmed coming back yet, plus we havent seen if he can pass USADA
Diaz needs a win and seems uninterested in fighting

most likely, Woodley/Thompson will happen

with that being said though, ww seems kinda boring at this moment maybe its just me

Neither fighter has much of a fan base and both are relatively unknown to anyone other than hardcore fans. Wonderboy is more popular and has some drawing power, Woodley has almost none, other than the folks that want to see him lose. I doubt the UFC spends a lot of money promoting this fight.

Nick Diaz is a much bigger draw then Wonderboy, but WB should get the shot.

Tyron is not a draw...Dana knows it, and he just wanted to show Tyron that he doesn't call the shots around there. Dana is correct in not giving Nick a shot, he doesn't deserve it...GSP has to go through testing and all that shit, besides I don't think Dana is very happy with the negotiations that are going on between GSP's management and the UFC. Wonderboy it is, unless they have a blockbuster co-main event, it probably won't sell well.

Tyron is not a draw...Dana knows it, and he just wanted to show Tyron that he doesn't call the shots around there. Dana is correct in not giving Nick a shot, he doesn't deserve it...GSP has to go through testing and all that shit, besides I don't think Dana is very happy with the negotiations that are going on between GSP's management and the UFC. Wonderboy it is, unless they have a blockbuster co-main event, it probably won't sell well.
Didn't stop Dana from giving Hendo a title shot.

Neither fighter has much of a fan base and both are relatively unknown to anyone other than hardcore fans. Wonderboy is more popular and has some drawing power, Woodley has almost none, other than the folks that want to see him lose. I doubt the UFC spends a lot of money promoting this fight.
I don't understand what you are saying but you are assuming Thompson is more popular. Thompson/MacDonald on FS1 had average ratings. I know that ratings doesn't say everything but it's what we got. Woodley isn't much better. I doubt UFC 201 does more than 350k buys.

GSP isnt confirmed coming back yet, plus we havent seen if he can pass USADA
Diaz needs a win and seems uninterested in fighting

most likely, Woodley/Thompson will happen

with that being said though, ww seems kinda boring at this moment maybe its just me
I think Woodley should defend against Thompson. I also think Bisping should face Jacare. But what do I know?

The only money fights for Woodley are based on the name recognition of his opponent.

Woodley is Travis Browne-ing himself with the fans with all of his, "I want to build my brand" talk.

Literally nobody who has ever fought Woodley has made a name off him.

If he wants to build a brand, then he should fight the top contenders. And the top guy is Stephen. Too bad for him, though, because Stephen is going wheel kick his head off into the 3rd row.

they start hyping it up right now. This is the only moment in time this fight will be attractive to on the fence PPViewers . They should start a 24 style or MAC LIFE style documentary showing the current best WW's (woodley and wonderboy) and start building up the face to face animosity . Tyron is going to be slightly bitter about the decision and Wonderboy will be gearing up for the big opportunity, and the fact that
Nick Diaz is not going to be a draw much bigger than Thompson at this stage in time. UFC should cash in on this as really strong CO-Mainevent or Mainevent for UFC 204. Hell if they were really smart they wouldve already made the fight official for 203, since Tyron was fresh due to the quick KO..

Sure, the UFC can just pour unlimited resources into every fight to make it a "money" fight. Wait, no. Not just no because there are finite marketing dollars to spend but because not every fighter is equally marketable. Some guys don't have the personality, some don't have the work ethic for media and travel and whatever else.

One of the things that people miss is that Conor promotes himself and takes every opportunity (though he may be ramping down now) to engage with the media through the UFC and he does his own projects outside the UFC. The Mac Life is his own self-produced show. He makes a point of having interesting things to say and does as many interviews as possible. The rest of the roster does not do these things.

The man is a master of getting attention for himself. That weird, delusional, over-confident persona he projects? Its calculated. Those bizarre martial arts stances he strikes in group photos? Its not just a tick, it's on purpose. Imaginary lat syndrome? He's got you looking and talking. Its no accident he dressed like El Chapo at the press conference opposite RDA. Its not a coincidence he is trashing the WWE roster while praising their management and legends like Rick Flair. Don't be surprised when he makes an appearance at Wrestlmania and boosts his profile even more. Why do you think he hangs out in LA so much and is on TMZ more than any other fighter. He is using celebrity to be the money fight.

I'm not going to suggest that Tyron Woodley or anyone else should directly copy Conor, because that wouldn't work for them. But they need to learn from what he's doing if they want to have the money fights. They need to be willing to get attention and very importantly be prepared to help the media do their jobs. You have to train your ass off in all the MMA disciplines and winning is important, but working your ass off to get people interested is a big part of the formula too.

Sure, the UFC can just pour unlimited resources into every fight to make it a "money" fight. Wait, no. Not just no because there are finite marketing dollars to spend but because not every fighter is equally marketable. Some guys don't have the personality, some don't have the work ethic for media and travel and whatever else.

One of the things that people miss is that Conor promotes himself and takes every opportunity (though he may be ramping down now) to engage with the media through the UFC and he does his own projects outside the UFC. The Mac Life is his own self-produced show. He makes a point of having interesting things to say and does as many interviews as possible. The rest of the roster does not do these things.

The man is a master of getting attention for himself. That weird, delusional, over-confident persona he projects? Its calculated. Those bizarre martial arts stances he strikes in group photos? Its not just a tick, it's on purpose. Imaginary lat syndrome? He's got you looking and talking. Its no accident he dressed like El Chapo at the press conference opposite RDA. Its not a coincidence he is trashing the WWE roster while praising their management and legends like Rick Flair. Don't be surprised when he makes an appearance at Wrestlmania and boosts his profile even more. Why do you think he hangs out in LA so much and is on TMZ more than any other fighter. He is using celebrity to be the money fight.

I'm not going to suggest that Tyron Woodley or anyone else should directly copy Conor, because that wouldn't work for them. But they need to learn from what he's doing if they want to have the money fights. They need to be willing to get attention and very importantly be prepared to help the media do their jobs. You have to train your ass off in all the MMA disciplines and winning is important, but working your ass off to get people interested is a big part of the formula too.

Clutch breakdown

I honestly believe Wonderboy has big star potential. He'd be an excellent guy to kind of fill the GSP void, in that he has the potential to REALLY dominate the division, all the while he's a handsome dude who's a legitimately GOOD dude. I'd be investing BIG in the man if I were running that ship.

Didn't stop Dana from giving Hendo a title shot.
In that situation, I think Dana likes Bisping a lot...and figured a rematch would make more money than Jacare or Romero.

I'm just happy Wonderboy is getting that shot.

I honestly believe Wonderboy has big star potential. He'd be an excellent guy to kind of fill the GSP void, in that he has the potential to REALLY dominate the division, all the while he's a handsome dude who's a legitimately GOOD dude. I'd be investing BIG in the man if I were running that ship.
Especially since he has wins over Hendrix and Rory...and he made it look easy. He is marketable for sure.

Woodley is Travis Browne-ing himself with the fans with all of his, "I want to build my brand" talk.

Literally nobody who has ever fought Woodley has made a name off him.

If he wants to build a brand, then he should fight the top contenders. And the top guy is Stephen. Too bad for him, though, because Stephen is going wheel kick his head off into the 3rd row.
I agree completely...GSP, Anderson, Jon Jones, Aldo...all these champs took on all the top contenders. They never chose their opponents, that is why they are considered top pound per pound greats. Tyron has to prove himself, not ask for money fights.

Nick Diaz is a much bigger draw then Wonderboy, but WB should get the shot.
Nick is a big draw...but he needs to beat a top 5 fighter before he can even be considered for a title shot. I believe that Wonderboy would beat anyone in the welterweight division today...and is very deserving of the title shot. I just hope Tyron doesn't pull some shit to try to get out of that fight.

What is the over/under for Woodley pull outs if they book this fight? Though Woodley rarely pulls out I give him that.

Back