UFC and United Arab Emirates

wellsdj1

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the UFC has never returned to the UAE, United Arab Emirates, after UFC 112?

Yes, so are you saying the UFC wasn't invited back because of Anderson Silva's antics in the octagon?

I wouldn't say directly, or solely because of Anderson's actions. The entire card was pretty lackluster though. The main event shenanigans were part of it too, though, don't get me wrong. I've always thought about it as kind of a litmus test for the UFC in a country with a smaller MMA market and less exposure to gauge reactions on where to develop their marketing. I think underwhelming public reaction, teamed with a kind of meh card (turned out pretty forgetful for a card with two belts on the line) might have given the idea that there was potential for the expansion in more lucrative foreign markets. The entire thing to me has always seemed like it was the UFC dipping their toe in some new water and deciding not to jump in afterwards. Who really knows though? Those are just my two cents.

If it was an absolute barn burner of a card, maybe things would be different. Maybe they would have been promptly invited back, or felt that they had generated enough buzz to profitably host another event out there.

Also, the strangest part was that they erected the entire arena for the event, and started deconstruction the next day. So who knows what booking a venue out there is like. Plus it was technically an outdoor arena, and the temp was like 95 degrees during the prelims. I'm not sure lots of fighters are jumping at the opportunity to fight in the desert.

Dana said the Abu Dhabi event was hosted(paid for) by the city,oil money yo.

I wouldn't say directly, or solely because of Anderson's actions. The entire card was pretty lackluster though. The main event shenanigans were part of it too, though, don't get me wrong. I've always thought about it as kind of a litmus test for the UFC in a country with a smaller MMA market and less exposure to gauge reactions on where to develop their marketing. I think underwhelming public reaction, teamed with a kind of meh card (turned out pretty forgetful for a card with two belts on the line) might have given the idea that there was potential for the expansion in more lucrative foreign markets. The entire thing to me has always seemed like it was the UFC dipping their toe in some new water and deciding not to jump in afterwards. Who really knows though? Those are just my two cents.

If it was an absolute barn burner of a card, maybe things would be different. Maybe they would have been promptly invited back, or felt that they had generated enough buzz to profitably host another event out there.

Also, the strangest part was that they erected the entire arena for the event, and started deconstruction the next day. So who knows what booking a venue out there is like. Plus it was technically an outdoor arena, and the temp was like 95 degrees during the prelims. I'm not sure lots of fighters are jumping at the opportunity to fight in the desert.

Ok thanks for reply and good explenation. I was just thinking about that card yesterday and was curious to why the never returned. I didn't know if Dana ever gave a reason why!

I believe that they got some new partner there and they went to Abu Dhabi becouse of that. Not 100% sure about it and I dont want to google for you...

Dont you read the news, Abu Dabi and Dubai went bankrupt. You have pics all over the web of people that left their Lamborginies and Porsches in the street because they owe the bank massive amount of money. You have people from the west come in the auctions there in Dubai and buy cars by the houndreds cheap. The Arabs built all those cityes but no one came to live there or to work there let alone go as a turist and end up in jail like those two British people who were kissing in a taxy and got a year in jail.

Ok thanks for reply and good explenation. I was just thinking about that card yesterday and was curious to why the never returned. I didn't know if Dana ever gave a reason why!

Yes, you're welcome. Those are just some of my opinions, I don't think there is single concise answer out there.

On topic though: Kendall Grove vs Mark Munoz is a really good fight though, doesn't get mentioned much around here.

Dont you read the news, Abu Dabi and Dubai went bankrupt. You have pics all over the web of people that left their Lamborginies and Porsches in the street because they owe the bank massive amount of money. You have people from the west come in the auctions there in Dubai and buy cars by the houndreds cheap. The Arabs built all those cityes but no one came to live there or to work there let alone go as a turist and end up in jail like those two British people who were kissing in a taxy and got a year in jail.

dubai went bankrupt and abu dhabi bailed it out. Abu Dhabi has hundreds of billions of dollars in soveirgn wealth funds.

Im assuming the only reason they ever even had an event over there is because Sheik Tanoon or whatever bought part of the UFC. It can't be a very big TV market, so there's no real reason to try to get a toehold on it. Sounds like a pretty interesting place though.

I blame the Silva/Maia and Hughes/Gracie fights. That card is the reason I haven't bought a card headlined by Anderson Silva since.

The UFC should put on an all female card there just for the lulz.

dubai went bankrupt and abu dhabi bailed it out. Abu Dhabi has hundreds of billions of dollars in soveirgn wealth funds.

Thats like saying Moamar Gadaffi had hundreds of billions of dollars in soveirgn wealth funds.

All the normal capitalist businesses from the westeners went bankrupt and all the people left and the domestic people are poor as sh*t. Who cares if 20 Sheiks have hundreds of billions of dollars. That does not make a market. Business makes a market. There aint no business left. Society is driven by the market, a society that has one family with billions of dollars is called a Monarchy and we all know how people live in a real "dark ages" monarchy.

Ive been there a few times.....they are not broke thats for sure........indoor ski/snow hill. Best hotels in the world, UFC needs to go back.

Ive been there a few times.....they are not broke thats for sure........indoor ski/snow hill. Best hotels in the world, UFC needs to go back.

yeah, but can you drink and get close with your girl in public?

Thats like saying Moamar Gadaffi had hundreds of billions of dollars in soveirgn wealth funds.

All the normal capitalist businesses from the westeners went bankrupt and all the people left and the domestic people are poor as sh*t. Who cares if 20 Sheiks have hundreds of billions of dollars. That does not make a market. Business makes a market. There aint no business left. Society is driven by the market, a society that has one family with billions of dollars is called a Monarchy and we all know how people live in a real "dark ages" monarchy.

Actually people in Abi Dhabi live pretty well they have a good standard of living. The people it sucks for are the people they bring in to work for them. People from the Philippines for a long time where exploited and used as nearly slave labor. Now because the heat that Arab Countries such as Abu Dhabi has taken the conditions are improving ever so slightly but are improving.

Abu Dhabi and the U.A.E. are leading an effort at least somewhat to be more progressive then Saudi Arabia. U.A.E. has been promoting science education for woman and at least seems to be making an effort to get Arab woman to drive on the road LOL. Of course there are still problems but they seem to be making some kind of effort. I cannot believe I am defending them "Not a fan of oil companies" but there are some hopeful signs little but improving.

That whole event was so damn suspect.

The BJ/Frankie decision. Anderson Silva being completely crazy. Anderson's gloves not being taped. Shit was cray.

Back