• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC 223 is the biggest promotional debacle since WME IMG took over.

Spacelord13

Switchin to Glide
Banned
Reaction score
This is a bit of a read. If you have 3-4 minutes to spare. The logic is solid, and simplistic. But, you do need to read the whole thing to see the complete picture. If you can’t invest the time, then move along. There are no cliffs. It’s actually a rare serious topic.

It’s actually the biggest promotional debacle in UFC history, that quickly comes to the top of my head, at least.

There is no buzz for this fight in the mainstream. No buzz amongst the casuals. Not even a proper amount of buzz in the mma community. The UFC really shit the bed with their promotion of this Ferguson vs Nurmagomedov fight.

It’s obvious why. But it was shortsighted, and unnecessary. They did not want to advertise that McGregor was officially being stripped, again. There was no way the UFC was going to give this fight the PR push it deserved. But they fucked up.

They should have stripped McGregor, ( Keep reading McGregor fans. It’s actually not negative. ) and pushed the shit out of this fight. It is the biggest LW fight in UFC history. And the numbers could have been achieved to prove it. The winner is the Undisputed LW Champion.

Not to mention they could have actually kept the appearance of being a legitimate promotion. They have clearly gone full WWE, but they didn’t have to. Or at least they didn’t have to be so obvious about it.

Tony has a 10 fight UFC winning streak. He is the Interim Champion. Khabib has a 9 fight UFC winning streak. And is 25-0. Does anybody remember the fuss the UFC made about RDA vs Nurmagomedov ? Back when they actually cared about hyping winning streaks, good fights, and shit. It was only the second time in LW history that two fighters on 5 fight UFC winning streaks were fighting eachother. Mike and Joe were all over that storyline.

Two UFC winning streaks like this have never been matched up before. Undefeated UFC Champions have fought undefeated contenders before. But, even they didn’t have UFC winning streaks like these. Why wouldn’t you want to advertise the shit out of such a rare occurrence ? It’s a huge fucking deal.

Oh right, McGregor...

Well is he coming back for sure ? There is no proof of that. They obviously have been trying to keep him relevant. P4P rankings the WWE would be proud of. Not stripping him in a timely manner. But this is McGregor we are talking about.

Does he honestly need this bogus belt and made up rankings ? Wouldn’t he still draw the numbers without them ? He supposedly drew 1.6M ppv against Nate Diaz, ffs. In fact he would have looked much better had he vacated. His fans could still have held onto the narrative that “ He didn’t lose his title “. I think even most of them would have preferred that to him being stripped again. But he was shortsighted in his thinking as well.

So they could have hyped this fight like they should have. They would have done their best to hype a legit All-Time great fight. Thereby giving a push through all the advertising to whichever guy comes out on top. Possibly creating a big new STAR, or two amongst the casuals or mainstream. And probably could have sold the numbers this fight easily should have been able to draw. Making more money for everybody.

Then if McGregor actually did return. And actually wanted to fight the Champion. The hype is already practically built in. Without treating this original showdown between Tony, and Khabib like dogshit.

McGregor returns after 2 years away ( We saw GSP still had the interest behind him after 4 years to sell big numbers ). And wants to prove he really is the best LW. He gets the instant TS to see if he can back up his boasting. The current UFC Champion wants to kick his ass. Prove he really is the best LW on the planet. And that McGregor wasn’t as great as many believed him to be. Is somebody going to tell me that fight wouldn’t sell ? Especially with McGregor’s mouth ?

Did they really have to stall this stacked division to keep McGregor’s possible future ppv sales up ? I really don’t think so.

Was there really nobody in the UFC capable of seeing this ? They’ve killed the buzz that could have easily been created for this fight. To protect the hype of a guy that may never return. A guy whose hype really didn’t need to be protected to begin with.

The most legit title fight between two top contenders on insane UFC winning streaks in UFC history. And this is the Official event poster.

ufc-223-600x600fit.jpg

Are you fucking kidding me ? This is utterly pathetic. It draws no attention to the magnitude of this fight. Anybody with a brain and any aptitude for PR, and promotions could come up with a better look than this. Isn’t that what “ PROMOTERS “ are supposed to do ? I like Rose. But please tell me how this shit poster is any kind of good idea. Any casual that sees this poster is likely thinking.

So the UFC is finally have a mixed mma fight. A man vs a woman. What a shit show the UFC is.

As far as I can tell. They have actually given more push to the Co main event. Because they refuse to admit that McGregor is being stripped again.

They should have embraced it. USA vs Russia always sells. Crazy American guy that likes to kick steal pipe vs Crazy Russian guy that wrestles bears. With their winning streaks. This shit should sell itself. Imagine what a little bit of thought, and effort should have been able to achieve.

The UFC have actually suppressed the buzz for this fight from the very beginning. I think that’s obvious now. Just look at Dana and his bullshit where nobody could actually figure out if the fight was for the Undisputed Title, or not. Not the media, fans, or fighters. And then the fucked up language in the contract. This “ as soon as the first punch is thrown “, BULLSHIT. And somehow Dana actually seems coy, and proud of all this. That guy is a massive asshole and really needs to go. His arrogance is insufferable.

It’s pretty clear this was a huge fuck up. These jokers should all be fired. They really suck at their jobs. Not that I give a fuck who makes how much money. But these fighters deserved more PR for this. Tony and Khabib should go rogue and hype this fight themselves. Because the UFC is a gong show. And Dana is a joke.

It leaves one big question though. What is the excuse Dana’s boss has for fucking this up so badly ?

bullshit_breaking_bad.gif

Skill and popularity of fighters are not directly correlated.

They promote cards for popular fighters, not for skilled fighters. As any sensible business would do.

tony is a weirdo and khebab has the personality of a rock, not to mention that he never fights. That being said, Wme aint doing jackshit to make things better.

There looking for angles , they're looking to pander they're just not finding enough to make it a spectacle, I guess we'll have to settle for some good fights.

Khabib couldn’t care less whether the fight is promoted or not. He’s all about legacy, money means very little to him..

#peopleschamp

They have tried to make this fight four times now. You really think they are going to go balls out and commit to pushing this fight when they have already lost so much on it in the past. They will likely say Conor was stripped the week of to make that a bigger deal, will help sell way more than doing it a month ago would have. And they couldn't than cause there was no reason for them to even have enough faith in Tony or Khabib to make it.

It’s just lazy and a cop out to reference wwe. Boxing is far closer to mma.

Skill and popularity of fighters are not directly correlated.

They promote cards for popular fighters, not for skilled fighters. As any sensible business would do.

Skilled fighters might be more popular if their fights were promoted.

UFC always sucked at promoting, WME era is even worse

Skilled fighters might be more popular if their fights were promoted.

Typical Shertard didn’t get it. Don’t worry bro. I knew shitheads would show up. Thanks for seeing the logic of my post.

It may not seem it, but they're pushing it.

There's posters all over the London underground for it and the only other time they have had posters were for aldo/mcgregor rousey return and new York.

It's costs an absolute fortune to advertise there btw

Watch the fights and STFU

Thank you lord, for taking time out of your space patrols to talk about this rare serious topic.

Personally I am looking forward to the Rose - Joanna fight more than the main event. I don't care about either of the fighters in it.

saying there wont be any cliffs, i cant get behind that. did not read

I just read it all. Warning for everyone who's thinking of doing the same: Don't -- It's just a stupid person rambling.

Cliffs: Khabib vs Tony has no hype. It could have been great had they hyped it somehow. They have big win streaks and the UFC vs Russia angle. Stripping Conor McGregor would be the central strategy for promoting this fight. It'd help make it bigger somehow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back