UFC 194 - Weidman vs. Rockhold By The Numbers

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Bels89, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Bels89

Bels89 Blue Belt

[​IMG]

Chris Weidman Stats:
    [​IMG]

Luke Rockhold Stats:
    [​IMG]

Numbers that jump out in the matchup:

Total Takedowns:
    Weidman: 21 (3.75 Avg./ fight)
    Rockhold: 1 (0.35 Avg./ fight)

Submission Passes:
    Weidman: 22
    Rockhold: 5

Takedown Defense:
    Weidman: 100%
    Rockhold: 72%

Significant Body Strike Accuracy:
    Weidman: 46%
    Rockhold: 78.6%

Total Zuffa Wins by sub.
    Weidman: 3
    Rockhold: 9

I see this as a very tough matchup for Rockhold. Rockhold's biggest strength is overpowering his opponents by grappling. He has 9 wins in Zuffa by submission and has submitted Lyoto, Bisping and Boetsch in his last 3 wins. Weidman's biggest strength is his grappling, he has never been taken down. The standup is pretty even, both guys move forward. Luke may be a little more diverse with his kicking game but he will have to be very cautious for the takedown. Weidman has more ways to win and should be able to take luke down and control the fight. My early prediction is Weidman by Decision or late ground and pound. How do you see the fight playing out?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  2. quadrunner

quadrunner Brown Belt

Good breakdown TS. My prediction is Weidman by TKO in the first 2 rounds, I think Rockholds strengths are his kickin game and grappling ability, make no mistake about it tho Weidman will be the one to decide if there is grappling or not. Chris's forward pressure should be enough to limit rockholds kicks by not giving him enough distance to work with. Also Luke will be a lot easier to hit than machida and Anderson were so I don't see Weidman having much of a problem beating him on the feet.

3. SourGrapes

SourGrapes White Belt

I am a Weidman fan, but I do think Weidman will finish Rockhold. Rochold will most likely get flattened out like he did against tst Vitor. Yes, that Vitor was vicious, but I honestly believe that Chris would have punished that Vitor as well. Rockhold seems to be a bully, and i could see Chris weidman givining him the business if you know what i mean

4. machidafan99

machidafan99 Silver Belt

didn't read but Weidman destroys surfer boy

5. Wrestling is the difference.

6. Zarra

Zarra Red Belt

Summing up- Weidman will make Luke his bitch

7. tehJameson

tehJameson RANCH

Yes, hopefully he humbles Rockhold with a clean KO.

8. Drake

Drake Guest

Damn. Didn't realize Luke was that accurate when attacking the body. I can see it now when I think about it though.

I wonder if he'll throw kicks at Weidman.

9. spardeous

spardeous Blue Belt

Why doesn't it show reach? It's a very important thing to consider in a fight, especially with grapplers.

10. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

Pretty even numbers, I am going Rockhold by decision

11. x9lonewolf

x9lonewolf Black Belt

Weidman by ground and pound finish. Weidman has a significant advantage on the mat.

12. Bels89

Bels89 Blue Belt

In order for Rockhold to be effective he is going to have to take chris down. I don't see it happening.

13. Dart Feld

Dart Feld Steel Belt

Rockhold will invite Rockhold to take him down, it won't effect his kicking game. The fight most likely comes down to who wins the scrambles. Luke's flowing grappling is the best Weidman will have faced since Maia and while the Chris had some impressive moments on the ground there that was an abomination of a gasfest by both. Anderson is comfortable attacking from the bottom and Lyoto's bottom game is unfortunately one of the poorest aspects of his game despite his rank.

Weidman will be very selective in how he shoots and if/when he gets Rockhold down he's going to have to be as aggressive as he was against Munoz. Munoz is a rather good scrambler and he was completely shut down because of having to fend off constant pass and choke attempts. I think he'll have much more resistance from Luke but that's still the best avenue for him.

If the scrambles end up mostly even and Luke scores with bodyshots then it might come down to cardio and Luke has an advantage in that respect. It could lead to a competitive dec. win or late finish for Rockhold if the fight plays out that way.

This fight has alot of potential of being a grappling treat.