Ufc 182 proved without a shadow of doubt

Kemeticsoul

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Again, that the most effective and basic weapon is the leg kick. Donald was chasing ghosts early on, Myles using good movement, that was all but taken away in the 3rd.

Fighters abandon the leg kick way too early in fights. It is the weapon that can be landed at range, even further away than the jab with less risk.

You can take energy out of your opponents by going to the body and even slow movement down. But you can significanly slow movement down with less risk by employing assertive leg kicks - high and low, inside and out.

It is the single greatest, most basic strategy fighters should drill besides the jab.

There are dozens upon dozens of fights where a good moving fighter at the start of the fight, was reduced to a stationary target by round 3 on.

It gets boos, it's deemed as boring, but man is it effective.

Leg kicks were proven effective long before 182.

Agreed. It's still a massively underutilized weapon in mma. People don't realise the damage just a few kicks can do to debilitate your opponent. I mean, when u start seeing the purpling on the legs it's obvious but having done kickboxing, I can tell u just a few can have a big effect on your mobility.

Dat Irish dragon though

dczgwo.jpg

Leg kicks were proven effective long before 182.

Indeed they were. Which makes it especially strange at the booing, or more fighters not using it, especially early in a fight.

Dat Irish dragon though

This. Castillo was already completely beaten up after the first round. Leg kicks starded it - backfist ended it.

There are dozens upon dozens of fights where a good moving fighter at the start of the fight, was reduced to a stationary target by round 3 on.

Dozens up on dozens??? I can only think of about 8 total. And believe me, I searched high and low.

OP...it took you this long (UFC 182) to figure this out??

I wold say leg checks are the most underutilized weapon. Make no mistake.... they're a weapon.

Also elbow-blocks for punches is massively underutilized in MMA. THe one guy I ever saw actively doing it was Rampage.

It proved only that Sensei Seagal is legit.

Meh.

Leg kicks in MMA are a lot like body shots in boxing. They're damned effective over time... but when your opponent is responding by hitting you in the head, you begin to doubt whether taking a long term strategy is the best option.

Back