UFC 155: Alan Belcher vs. Yushin Okami PBP (Discussion)

Under which rule set would Belcher have won?

This has nothing to do with what I was saying.

He wasn't suggesting Belcher would have won under any ruleset, just that the ruleset lends itself to guys training to smother to a decision.

Not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Thanks man!

I was commenting about what type of "fighting" was encouraged, due to the criteria and what it rewards. There is a notional 'bias for position' that has now imbedded itself in modern MMA beause of this. The system doesn't particularly align with real fighting (Vale Tudo). But a win's a win, so fighters will do what they have to do.

I hold the opinion that the scoring needs a ground up rebuild to align better to the sprit of fighting.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with what I was saying.

Thanks man!

I was commenting about what type of "fighting" was encouraged, due to the criteria and what it rewards. There is a notional 'bias for position' that has now imbedded itself in modern MMA beause of this. The system doesn't particularly align with real fighting (Vale Tudo). But a win's a win, so fighters will do what they have to do.

I hold the opinion that the scoring needs a ground up rebuild to align better to the sprit of fighting.

Based on what you are implying, the changes you would want would allow a guy who pushes forward face first to win fights even if he gets rocked and doesn't land shots or a guy from the bottom could win decisions. It would back to what what the Gracies liked doing. their whole concept of lying down and taking a pounding and winning is ridiculous in this era of MMA.

and we can't really emulate real fights with the UFC. its trying to establish itself as a sport and making it a fight would mean cutting back on regulations on fighter safety. i don't think anyone wears gloves, stops punching at the end of a round, or fights in their weight class in a real fight. plus in a real fight the guy who throws the first punch is usually going to win. I don't care for that kind of fighting

Back