Tying your belt the old school Gracie way?

mogway

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Many members of the Gracie family (Helio branch) and of their main academies like Gracie Humaita, Rickson Gracie academy, Relson Gracie, Rorion Gracie etc.. tie their belt in this way. The main difference from the standard way is that instead of looping over both sides of the belt, the knot is just on one side. What do you think:

http://www.bjjee.com/articles/tie-your-jiu-jitsu-belt-the-old-school-gracie-way/

Last edited:
If Rener doesn't bother tying his belt like that, despite his obsession with old school ways and his grandfather...I don't see why anyone would

That looks terrible.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that look. Coming from Karate, always had that drilled into me as being the wrong way, sloppy and thus disrespectful to your instructors (and usually resulted in a large number of pushups done at the end of class). Also seems like your belt would come lose much more frequently/easily that way.

Always liked Rener's tutorial (especially the "super lock" version)

yeah when i first started training i did the sloppy knot, but then my judo teacher quickly got me to change it. the mentality was that the belt will sag and get loose faster.

There is one difference I know of.

Try this with both knots.

Get in opponents closed guard. Grip one layer of his belt with both hands and use it as a brace as you push your hips back to open the guard.

If you do this with the "Gracie knot," the belt will separate and doesn't make an effective brace.

If you use the knot over both layers, it always moves both layers and provides a more secure connection to the hips. It is basically a better handle.

The belt will also slide around the trunk more easily with the Gracie Knot. A less secure handle.

mostly do it because it comes loose keeping people from getting a good grip.

mostly do it because it comes loose keeping people from getting a good grip.

Yep, its practical. My instructor always has his belt really low and loose. I thought I was going to sweep him once when I grabbed his belt and set up for it, he reached down a split secord before hand and with a quick tug at the loose knot and it came un-done. I go to sweep using his belt and the belt unravels and I end up holding a belt as he conveniently uses my "ohh shit" moment to improve his position even more and submit me.

I was laughing and shaking my heads saying "... you gotta be shittin me lol:icon_chee"

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that look. Coming from Karate, always had that drilled into me as being the wrong way, sloppy and thus disrespectful to your instructors (and usually resulted in a large number of pushups done at the end of class). Also seems like your belt would come lose much more frequently/easily that way.

Always liked Rener's tutorial (especially the "super lock" version)

I do mine the super lock way....belt never comes undone.

Or do it the original knot and it'll never come undone.

This actually feels slightly tighter than the standard knot.

count_koma.jpg

Can anyone tell me how Maeda tied his? It's hard to tell because he has tucked the two lengths into the belt. I wonder if H

Last edited:
Looks silly tied like that to me. As Kurt O would say, you f__ked up a long time ago bro worrying about belt grips.

From the look of those pictures, it would appear that you've got to be at least a 2nd degree black belt before you can rock the outside knot on the belt.:icon_chee

Back