Two possible job offers - Advice

CroSpartacus

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I have been fortunate to have a great week and wish the best of luck to the unemployed.

I have a pending job offer to work for a trucking company. The salary is 44K and they offer insurance and benefits. They sent me the offer and I accepted, now we are only waiting on a background check and drug test for a start date.

I also had an interview to work in a union office. I didn't think much of this because I already had a job offer, I just wanted to see what they had to say. I really liked the managers there. The starting salary is going to be at least 36K, but I would be a union employee with the benefits. The salary would go up 2.5% yearly and there is the job stability. The manager really liked me and said he will try to speed things up to get me on board because I explained to him that I have a pending job offer. He was looking for a data entry clerk, but also wants someone to act as a manager in the union office.

These are the pro's of each:

Trucking company: Higher starting salary

Union office: Closer to home, seems stable, holidays are paid with bonuses, salary progresses up every year.

Cons:

Trucking company: Schedule is not always consistent, might work overnights. Not a union.

Union office: Do not have an offer yet, only the manager's word that he liked me and wants to push for me despite having other interviews.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am leaning towards the union position, I just don't know how long I should stall on the previous job offer. I don't want to end up losing both.

Anyone have experience working in either a union office or transportation industry?

Stall, till you get a proper offer then come back to us.

Well done though.

Sorry. Accept the first offer, and put pressure on the second job to make an official offer. Then weigh up your options.

Accept the first offer right away, and if the union job comes back with an offer, you can still decide to jump ship. Don't risk losing both by dicking around.

Accept for job as others have said....already better money and its a job. Never let go of a job because of a mans word....things change very quickly

Accept the first offer right away, and if the union job comes back with an offer, you can still decide to jump ship. Don't risk losing both by dicking around.

Agreed.

In all honesty I wouldn't drive a truck unless I had no other option. I think I would hate that job. If it were me, I would take the union job.

The trucking position is in management. I wouldn't be a truck driver. But the union job sounds more stable and secure.

Never be afraid to quit a job if something better comes along. Lets be honest, after the first 3 months, union jobs are pretty much the easiest and least stressful thing ever. Especially in an office environment, if someone starts bitching at you, tell them you don't feel comfortable with how they are speaking to you, and you want your union rep present for all future disciplinary actions or conversations. They just prefer to leave it alone after that usually.

Never be afraid to quit a job if something better comes along. Lets be honest, after the first 3 months, union jobs are pretty much the easiest and least stressful thing ever. Especially in an office environment, if someone starts bitching at you, tell them you don't feel comfortable with how they are speaking to you, and you want your union rep present for all future disciplinary actions or conversations. They just prefer to leave it alone after that usually.

Would you quit your job on the first day if the other job you wanted called that same day?I was in that situation and stayed at the lower paying job because i didn't want to flake.Luckily,the job i have now pays more than those two.Damn,i must of been on one that day.

Would you quit your job on the first day if the other job you wanted called that same day?I was in that situation and stayed at the lower paying job because i didn't want to flake.Luckily,the job i have now pays more than those two.Damn,i must of been on one that day.

Depends on the business, how you see your future, and your city/town where you live. I have quit many jobs on the first day because the job sucked balls. My philosophy is, they have the right to fire me, and I have the right to quit. Nobody should stay at a job they don't want to.

There are plenty of other people usually willing to fill the position. At most you wasted a few days and a few hundred dollars of your employers money. This is the job of doing business. The only downside for you is if its a small town you might get a bed reputation and you would obviously screw future chances of working for that company.

Other than that, screw them. If something better comes along or I am unhappy, I am gone. But, if I like the job, and it is just a pay issue, I will stay at the first job. It is hard to find a job you can be happy with. Money isn't the biggest thing. Don't quit an easy job or a job you could see yourself staying at for years over a few dollars more per hour. Not worth the risk.

Back