Television TV or movie inaccuracies that bother you

Protectandserve

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Ok I’m going through and rewatching the X-Files and damn the fact that none of the FBI Agents keep a round chambered bothers the hell out of me.

This and military uniforms being completely jacked in so many shows and movies bother me way more than they should.

Anyone else have the random TV or movie inaccuracies that bother the hell out of them?

Yeah. Mostly centered around firearms stuff too. Like when they do a scene and rack the slide or pump a shell into a shotgun as an exclamation point on the scene intensity. Uh, did you not have a round in the chamber already?

I coincidentally watched some Xfiles recently too and there was one of the first episodes where a small town sheriff runs the FBI agents out of town. Like, oh yeah man, you totally have jurisdictional authority over the FBI on that potential corruption case? Lol

Ok I’m going through and rewatching the X-Files and damn the fact that none of the FBI Agents keep a round chambered bothers the hell out of me.

This and military uniforms being completely jacked in so many shows and movies bother me way more than they should.

Anyone else have the random TV or movie inaccuracies that bother the hell out of them?
i was an extra in The Last Castle and played a military cop. When i went into the costume room i was shocked at what they were doing with the uniforms. they had guys in their 50's with lieutenant bars and kids barely 20 as full bird colonels. One guy was even given a hat with the captain bars sideways. he became known as captain equals.

i basically became the uniform supervisor for extras making sure everyone looked somewhat authentic

- Silencers make guns completely silent, when in reality they lower sound by 30 decibels, or like putting in some ear plugs

- Couples wake up in the morning looking and smelling perfect, and ready for make out and sex. Morning breath is not a thing in Hollywood

- When they show someone driving, the driver is moving the steering wheel excessively while the car is going straight. It's obviously the car was being towed. Chris Tucker is a blatant offender

Ok I’m going through and rewatching the X-Files
Holy shit. I’m literally rewatching the X files right now.

Here’s what bothers me. Mulder is always saying to Scully “This doesn’t fit your science,” or whatever, which completely disregards what science is. The writers clearly thought science was a set of facts to which everything must adhere. But really, it’s a methodology of determining what is true and what isn’t. If someone discovers Big Foot, it doesn’t mean “science is wrong,” or that there are things that lay outside the realm of science.

Science would then accept that there is a Big Foot and attempt to explain what exactly that is and how it went so long without being discovered.

Usually, the historical inaccuracies.
Vikings had a lot of them.
Or worse... Spartacus.
Well, most movies do.
I like the fact that in the movies slaves with zero education have a richer vocabulary than many people from the present.
Like... you know what I'm saying... like?

Also, how could Al Bundy afford a big house with an unemployed wife and 2 kids?
I was watching Terms of Endearment and I remember that the college professor had a crappy smaller house and the family had money problem.
Do shoe salesmen make more money than college professors in USA?

Did the American Indians have horses?
I think not!

If its history related it does because pop culture is how the majority of people learn their history. I believe firmly James Cameron should be in prison(house arrest perhaps) for making up a real persons suicide. Because now millions of people are going to think someones ancestor oofed themselves when they did not.

Like "The Great" is a high quality show but that disclaimer in the front annoys the fucking shit out of me. Its basically the creators want the benefit of making a show about a historical topic and none of the responsibility to try and be accurate.

If you don't care about historical accuracy make up your own characters. That doesn't mean you have to be completley accurate it does mean you have to try. Its the lack of trying and thinking trying is optional that is the real problem. Real people are not your OCs.

Usually, the historical inaccuracies.
Vikings had a lot of them.
Or worse... Spartacus.
Well, most movies do.
I like the fact that in the movies slaves with zero education have a richer vocabulary than many people from the present.
Like... you know what I'm saying... like?

Also, how could Al Bundy afford a big house with an unemployed wife and 2 kids?
I was watching Terms of Endearment and I remember that the college professor had a crappy smaller house and the family had money problem.
Do shoe salesmen make more money than college professors in USA?

Did the American Indians have horses?
I think not!

Every profession in the US makes more money than untenured college professors in the USA.

And when I say every profession I mean EVERY profession.

Last edited:
Super genius Batman fighting cosmic villains like Darkseid who can punch a planet with BJJ and decides to bring some firecracker explosives on top.

How about a micro thermonuclear explosive? Vacuum grenade etc?!

Nope, firecrackers.

I'd say movies where the bad guy has a gun to the protagonists head after the protag just killed 11 evil goons and doesn't pull the trigger because he has to make a speech.

Kind of unrelated but I've been watching the show 'reacher' and they can just kill him so many times and don't and then they get killed themselves..

It used to be the only one that bothered me was the Knock Out. Everyone knows what I mean ... they clunk someone over the head and they wake up 8 hours later or some nonsense. IRL, if you aren't up in ~8 minutes, you aren't ever getting up.

Today, I'm more concerned about any historic or real-world events because of one thing; People believe what they see. They'll tell you they know the movie is fiction, and it isn't a documentary, but they seem to also believe Hollywood is VERY close to the truth, even when it isn't.
This didn't bother me when I was younger, but with age I've seen how it affects people in the real world.

I always laugh when I see an actor in military uniform playing a soldier or sailor and his hair covering his ears and collar.

Back