Trying to help my dad lose weight *critique*

i'm not going to critique the specific diet cuz that's not my area.

the only constructive thing i have to say is to change exercise from running to something else. running is very hard. it's hard on the body, and boring. basically running will be hard to keep up.

if he's eating lots of carbs (sorry for not reading your list) then get him on a high intensity interval training (just youtube it). it'll be hard at the start, but it's time efficient and easier to maintain imo.

if he doesn't have much carb in his intake, he needs to do some cardio. if he choses to run, you gotta remember he has to run very slow and for a very long time--it takes 20 minutes ujst to mobilize fats for energy use. if he wants to run, get him to run on grass.

gluck

How old is your dad? That's a big factor too. Don't assume a 60 year old can handle a 30 year old's workout.

Responding to all:

HIIT would be harder on his old bones than a short 2 mile run in the morning?

He's 46.

Sorry for making it complicated :(

at his age, diet is going to be much more important to overall well-being. also, not sure how serious he is but with age your body really slows down in terms of how much work it will do for you so progress is slower and hell need to not be easily discouraged, assuming he is reconciled with that, im not sure running of any variety (LSD or HIIT) is going to be up his alley, biking and swimming i would think are much better options. not sure where you live, but hiking might also be enjoyable, you can add a weighted backpack to make it more difficult as you progress.

I thought someone else would say this earlier and that's why I didn't post it: it's not good to run/exercise on an empty stomach right away in the morning. Here's an excerpt from the http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/fat-weight-loss-techniques-risk-vs-benefits-366419/ link in the FAQ:

Fasted cardio in the morning

One of the most controversial fat loss techniques is performing cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. This method is widely embraced by bodybuilders and recommended by many trainers and nutritionists. Other experts claim that the risk of muscle loss is too high and they argue whether workout timing makes any difference in the overall scheme of 24 hour energy expenditure. With low blood sugar and low glycogen levels on awakening, it appears that the body is in a perfect state to burn fat preferentially, but combined with high a.m. cortisol levels, it may also be a perfect state to burn muscle. Therefore, the benefit is high, but so is the risk. Body composition must be carefully monitored when using this technique.

RISK: 3 (high)
BENEFIT: 3 (high)

make sure to try and keep his heart at about 200 bpm and if he falls over dont help, thats just him trying to get attention.

Maybe get him a punching bag instead? Its more fun and you get a hell of a workout. Its hard to stay motivated to run every morning because it is boring for a lot of people and it takes a while to see the benefits. Hitting the heavy bag might be a little easier for him to get up and do in the morning. Neighbors might hate him though.

Why the shit are you staying away from bananas?

I've read on here several times that they are not good for weight loss?

Thanks for the responses guys but is the eating looking alright?

I've read on here several times that they are not good for weight loss?

Thanks for the responses guys but is the eating looking alright?

Who is preaching this nonsense? Bananas are fine.

* OFF Topic

Does anyone else get extremely annoyed by certain words? "Supper" is one of the words thats annoys the shit out of me. Nothing against you, TS, I just dislike the word. :icon_neut

Don't worry so much about the running; one thing at a time, and that one thing NEEDS to start with correct eating habits, first and foremost. Period. It's difficult enough for a person later in age to change habits, let alone put them on a timed regimen. Replace the bad with the good and devlope stronger eating habits over time.

Banana's are fine. In fact, studies show that they reduce cholesterol. Get some green tea in there. I use hummus for my spreads - replaces may ho, katsup, ect.

Other than that the foods looks pretty decent. I am a strong supporter of sushi - sashimi, nigiri - but i know a lot of people aren't into that; but, they need to be.

Don't worry so much about the running; one thing at a time, and that one thing NEEDS to start with correct eating habits, first and foremost. Period. It's difficult enough for a person later in age to change habits, let alone put them on a timed regimen. Replace the bad with the good and devlope stronger eating habits over time.

Banana's are fine. In fact, studies show that they reduce cholesterol. Get some green tea in there. I use hummus for my spreads - replaces may ho, katsup, ect.

Other than that the foods looks pretty decent. I am a strong supporter of sushi - sashimi, nigiri - but i know a lot of people aren't into that; but, they need to be.

QFT. And when it is time to start some real exercise, don't go with steady state running. Unless you like to run (and I don't get those of you who do), it's really hard to stay motivated.

thats for the responses guys.

yea I tried to get him drinking green tea but hes a stubborn bastard.

I've been trying to ease him into eating better and doing little workouts during the day with me, even if its playing basketball or showing him some workouts in the garage to try. Other than that, making fun of him seems to be motivating factor in this process.

Anyways DINNER soon. Thank you all

Setting up a smarter way of eating and a workout regimen is easy..sticking to it is the hard part.

Wow I can't believe you are staying away from bananas. I did a whole research paper on the benefits of bananas and they HELP increase the ****bolism. Just 1-2 bananas a day is ideal! Other fruits (like you chose, apples and oranges) will give you good nutrients, but it has nothing to do with weight loss. Bananas are more nutritious in EVERY aspect than apples, and although oranges are higher in vitamin C, bananas have a greater variety of nutritional value. You should definitely chose bananas over apples and oranges.

Also, just as a little present:
If you are suffering from constipation, eat a ripe banana.
If you are suffering from diarrhea, eat an unripe (green) banana.

This will help cure it. :)

Wow I can't believe you are staying away from bananas. I did a whole research paper on the benefits of bananas and they HELP increase the ****bolism. Just 1-2 bananas a day is ideal! Other fruits (like you chose, apples and oranges) will give you good nutrients, but it has nothing to do with weight loss. Bananas are more nutritious in EVERY aspect than apples, and although oranges are higher in vitamin C, bananas have a greater variety of nutritional value. You should definitely chose bananas over apples and oranges.

Also, just as a little present:
If you are suffering from constipation, eat a ripe banana.
If you are suffering from diarrhea, eat an unripe (green) banana.

This will help cure it. :)

I'm guessing it would be because they're a rather calorie dense food. But I personally think it's one of those things where you eat your banana and cut carbs/cals some other way.

LOL @ making fun of your dad for motivation and all the banana whoring going on.

"Eat your ****ing bananas!!"

Ane yeah, it takes time. It's taken my dad almost three years of my preaching. His sister got cancer and i think that kinda turned him around even more. "Hey, son, there's this thing called a macrobiotic diet i'm looking into...." Oh, you mean clean whole foods and veggies? :icon_conf Eh, least he's getting it now.

Back