Trying my hand at making knives

Protectandserve

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Ok Weapons and Tactics forum, I have been watching way too much Forged in Fire on the History Channel so I got the wild idea to try and make a few knives. I invested in a few books, some O1 Tool Steel and am on my way to getting started.

I'm going to attempt it via stock removal first. This is basically using files, grinders, etc to remove material from the piece of steel until it looks like a knife. Then I have to heat treat it, quench it to harden it and then temper it to make it usable.

So here is where I'm at so far. I picked up 3 different books after some research through various bladesmith forums, blacksmith forums, etc. Here are the three:

The first one is a breakdown of what you need to get started at a reasonable price. It is very good for describing tools needed and not needed. Good for the budget.

http://imgur.com/ga28UGQ
Second book is a general knife making one. It seems pretty complex and not well detailed so far. Maybe its just stuff out of my limited skill set that will be useful later.

The third book has a progression of projects to develop skills. For my purpose I will be making the first two knives out of my piece of steel. This will be a kitchen paring knife, and an all purpose, full tang knife.

I sketched them out on some grid paper and then transferred them to the steel blank.

http://imgur.com/knbUrdq

So now I need to cut them out and start grinding away.

So far my investment in this has been $45 in books from Amazon, and about $75 in buying a 3 foot length of 2.5 inch wide by 1/8 inch thick O1 tool steel(had to buy that size because local metal store didn't have any smaller widths in stock.)

We will see how it goes... If it is an abject failure I will post the results so we can all get a laugh. Not sure on how long it will take, I am working when I can in my free time and don't have a bunch of hours to dedicate to it this weekend.

Right on, and good luck!

Post some specimens when you're done.

When I was China back in 2010 a Friend of my Wife asked if wanted anything in particular to remember China.

Told this dude I'd like to "see" a real Kung Fu sword.

Very next day he and his wife present me with one of these:
chinese_battle_ready_jian_sword.jpg

As impressive as getting a full on sharp as shit damacus blade sword is, I was more impressed when they told me all about the foundry that makes them. Apparently the place has been making swords since the 1300s.

And they still finish them out in the same old way, by hand with files, stones and leather straps.

So when I think how often, when sharpening a 4 inch blade I get dull spots and off edges, it amazes me someone can file and stone out a straight edge the length of a sword blade!!!!

HAN-JIAN-sword-SALE-full-tang-Damascus-steel-blade-Handmade-Black-wood.jpg

Last edited:
While I have little use for or interest in knives I applaud you for your undertaking. Best of luck and much respect.

Calling @Einar
I've made knives before. They're fun projects and there are definitely a lot of sources on Youtube to get you started. It can become a rabbit hole if you're not careful! I would suggest Aaron Gough and Walter Sorrell's channels to start and go from there.

First knife, plus sheath:
image.jpg

Work in progress (old picture, it's actually a lot further along than this atm):
IMG_1599_1.jpg

Last edited:
If I learn how to make some knives I may get a Damascus billet and make a cool one. Right now I would more than likely just destroy a very expensive piece... And then cry.

Oh for sure.

I'd love to try as well. I 100% fear going down the rabbit hole though. After getting the hang of it I fear I would spend way too much on it.

Very cool, I'd like to try this at some point too.

I've bought several knives from guys who make them out of their houses, I've got one guy who I keep going back to because he can make nearly anything.

I haven't made any blades, but have added antlers to pre-fabbed blades as handles. I bought my stuff from an Oklahoma company - Jantz Supply

I haven't made any blades, but have added antlers to pre-fabbed blades as handles. I bought my stuff from an Oklahoma company - Jantz Supply

Me and my dad made some antler inserts for my sp101 grips from an elk I Killed maybe ~ 6 years ago, the rack wasn't impressive enough to mount so we just kept the antlers.

Me and my dad made some antler inserts for my sp101 grips from an elk I Killed maybe ~ 6 years ago, the rack wasn't impressive enough to mount so we just kept the antlers.

It's definitely an art form . . .

Ok got the filing jig guide made so I can start filing in proper and even bevels.
0O59hes.jpg

Now I just need to cut out the first blanks and start filing away.

Ok got the filing jig guide made so I can start filing in proper and even bevels.
0O59hes.jpg

Now I just need to cut out the first blanks and start filing away.
Nice jig! As someone who's done this before, I would suggest getting a longer file with an attached handle. Beveling by hand is a motherfucker; it takes a long time and can kill your hands. A longer file will remove more material per stroke and the handle will make it easier to grip.

You are going to enjoy this!

^I probably will do that. This was a test fit with all the stuff from the Gough instructional. I'll probably get a 12 inch file with handle and smaller hose clamps too. Keep the small file for draw filing and stuff.

Some pictures I took on my knife

At the beginning
IMG_1556.jpg

many hours later
IMG_1558.jpg

Got the first two blanks cut out. Going to start with the small paring knife first.

Tried to cut with a hacksaw but it was slow going so I switched to a cut off wheel on an angle grinder.

Hoping to get the basic shape of the paring knife done today. Then on to making the bevels.

After about an hour of filing

Last edited:
@Protectandserve

wskts-ko-front_3.jpg

WSWSKTSKO.jpg

45478_1_400x400.jpg

45478_400x400.jpg

45478_2_400x400.jpg

Random hobbyist, first 6 mins is talking, explaining how it works and whatnot. Skip to 6:40 to see it in action.

The work sharp Ken onion is about $130 and the Ken Onion grinding attachment is about $80. But it could save you hours of time and possibly make it even more enjoyable.

That looks like a great idea and problem solver. Right now I don't have a spot to mount a bench grinder/sander. I want to try making the bevels by hand on a few but thag grinding system looks like it would make forming blanks and handles way easy.

Reading some of the Amazon reviews and answers says it may be underpowered for grinding out blanks and primary bevels. So I may need to do some more research.

Back