• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Try to leave nostalgia out of it, is there a division that got worse?

Bangkok ready d1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Serious question, do you belive there is any division in the ufc that got worse with time? People say the heavyweight division got worst but did it really? Its pretty clear that the hw division of today doesn't have the star power that it did before, but skillwise i would say although it didn't get much better compared to some other divisions, it isn't worst.
So is there a division you belive it got worst when it comes to skills? And what division it is.

Last edited:
LHW, combination of a stacked weightclass aging out (Rampage, Evans, Lyoto, Shogun) and the UFC letting a lot of good fighters like Bader, Davis, and Anderson walk. With Jones and DC out of the division I am honestly not sure its any better than Bellator's.

LHW, combination of a stacked weightclass aging out (Rampage, Evans, Lyoto, Shogun) and the UFC letting a lot of good fighters like Bader, Davis, and Anderson walk. With Jones and DC out of the division I am honestly not sure its any better than Bellator's.
The top dogs of the division really are a toss up between the ufc and bellator, but yeah i kinda have to agree with lhw because the dude which is arguably the best lhw ever is out of the division, but if we get the top dogs of today and put them against the machidas and the shoguns of another era, i think its competitive and i don't know who would win

HW and LHW.
The mere fact that you have Derrick Lewis as one of the top ranked HW, along with some fossils like Oleynik, and few guys who have been fighting since last century/ early 2000s (Overeem, Hunt not long ago) as serious contenders is the biggest indicator of "evolution" of that division.
Not to mention that the champ is a part time 38 y.o. fighter, the guy who KO'd him 2 years ago was a 41 y.o. 5'10" fatso, and the current first contender is the guy whose punching technique puts Prime Bob Sapp to shame.

This. LHW used to be the best weight class in MMA. It’s a barren wasteland now.

Plenty. LHW and HW, while they still have good fighters at the top are definitely thinner overall. LHW's newer stars are still relatively new to the top of the division so who's to say if they will have a lasting impact.
One of the big things is that a lot of the newer top guys can't make their names off of legends from the past as they are either gone or they are so far past their prime it means so little to beat them. Jones made his name beating the previous couple of generations of top LHW's before him, guys like Blachowicz, Reyes, and Santos (two of them being no spring chickens themselves) don't really have anyone save for Jones and Glover left (Gustafsson hasn't been seen as being in his general prime for years).
At HW, while guys like Overeem, Dos Santos, and Arlovski are still around and their power is still a danger, it doesn't mean a whole lot to beat them (though a win over Overeem means more these days than the other two). Big Nog, Fedor, Barnett, Couture, Sylvia, Hunt, Brock, Mir, Cain, Cro Cop, Carwin, Gonzaga, all gone, the previous two generations of top heavyweights are either retired or taking the rare money fight somewhere else.
I mean look at Rozenstruik, he finished Arlovski, Overeem, and Dos Santos by strikes in three of his last four fights, that would have been huge even five years ago, but nowadays a guy doing that barely gets any mention.

Bader was good years ago and Phil just wrestles you to death.

Heavyweight actually has gotten worse because of USADA

Every other class has gotten better

The truth is that you can't get a objective answer here. Sherdog is full of nostalgic pride fans who can't accept the fact that the sport has evolved. You would get a more objective and more informed answer on reddit or even Twitter.

Some people here really think that the sport hasn't evolved since the late 2000s. Even though sherdoggers love to call themselves "hardcore fans", but the reality is that their knowledge of MMA is worse than the casuals on Instagram.

LHW for sure.

guys like prime shogun, rampage, henderson are all timeless fighters in terms of skill/athleticism/strength. They would be all top 5 fighters today.

weakest divisions looking back is definitely MW. Silva beat up on a lot of "try hard" kinda guys that weren't great athletes that would get crushed today. Even for instance a guy like Prime Bisping would mock Leben, Rich Franklin.

HW outside of the top5 has always been barren.

HW has always been a pretty thin division. I mean, when Nog, Fedor, and CC were vying for the top spot with guys like Barnett in the mix, HW felt a lot more dynamic. But seriously, go back through the years and look at the top HWs. The guys either didn't last, or didn't ever really dominate their division (except for Fedor/Nog).

Heavyweight has never been as good as when Fedor & Nogueira we’re in their prime

Women’s 145 is trash.

at least it used to have Cyborg. Watching her murder soccer moms Was entertaining.

now it is just an excuse for Nunes to eat more.

Sherdog is full of nostalgic pride fans
Some people here really think that the sport hasn't evolved since the late 2000s.

im a Pride fan, and i dont think the sport has evolved much,

that being said, HW was defiinitely best right after Strikeforce merger.

Brock
Overeem
Cain
Carwin
JDS
Werdum
Cormier
Barnett
Bigfoot

best it ever was.

Back