TRUE DETECTIVE Season 3 Discussion

Can someone quote me without spoiling?

Is the first episode good or at least promising?
Yes. Shades of season 1. We have two very committed “true detectives”. Story takes place in three eras (1980,1990 and 2015) similar to season 1. Im all in and rate the the first two episodes 8.5/10

Just watched episode 2. This show is my jam. I’m really glad HBO gave Nic Pizzaman another shot, this series is fuckin great.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen this Mahatma Ali feller in anything else, but wow is he fantastic.

Dorff is great too so far, just the right amount understated. He’s not trying to hog any energy or chew the scenery, just nailing his role.

And as always, in all 3 seasons: this show has the best aging / makeup effects work I’ve seen in any tv show, or movie, ever. Just like the other seasons, it’s stunning how real the different eras of the characters look.

Just watched episode 2. This show is my jam. I’m really glad HBO gave Nic Pizzaman another shot, this series is fuckin great.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen this Mahatma Ali feller in anything else, but wow is he fantastic.

Dorff is great too so far, just the right amount understated. He’s not trying to hog any energy or chew the scenery, just nailing his role.

And as always, in all 3 seasons: this show has the best aging / makeup effects work I’ve seen in any tv show, or movie, ever. Just like the other seasons, it’s stunning how real the different eras of the characters look.

Just watched the first two and I completely agree, Petey. Very good so far.

Mahershala is the man. You should check out Green Book at some point. Very entertaining film and Ali and Viggo are great in it.

Good stuff so far.

I always start compiling a list of most probable suspects right from the start of a murder mystery show. So far my top three in no particular order are:

1. The teacher lady, Amelia I think her name was
2. Hayes (the main character).
3. Hayes partner (Stephen Dorff?)

No tangible reason really, just going off of feeling. Except maybe Hayes. In one scene he says he's dyslexic, and later on the victim's parents receive a clearly dyslexic letter. Hmm...

But more than likely the murderer(s) will turn out to be someone we haven't seen yet.

Edit: Fun fact by the way:

The actress who plays Lucy Purcell is Meryl Streeps daughter. Good luck trying to unsee the family resemblance from now on.

Last edited:
They're hinting at an unreliable perspective though, rather than the cosmic horror story that permeated season one I think that'll be the "trick" of the season.

At least they've already made a Lovecraft reference in season 3. Points if you can name the scene where they did it.

So those teenagers stole the dead kids bike, right? I might have missed a line explaining that, but that seems a little suspicious

At least they've already made a Lovecraft reference in season 3. Points if you can name the scene where they did it.

I noticed it. It was a quick scene where they just started canvasing and the second or so house they knocked on Cthulhu answered.

Based on the first two episodes I have a few predictions.

- The teens know more than what they revealed(seems obvious) but I don’t necessarily think they’re directly involved or guilty(would be too obvious). They may have stolen the bikes though and lied to the officers out of fear of admitting any confrontation with the kids.
- One of the teens ends up being wrongfully convicted.
- the uncle is a pedophile and somehow involved(he drilled a peep hole in the closet to watch the girl).
- Woodard(trash guy) is innocent but ends up dead. The town residents don’t seem too fond of him, he doesn’t appear to be 100% mentally stable and Ali said something like “you already know what happened with him” when asked by detectives in the 90s.
- Mother could be involved, directly or indirectly. She wasn’t home and it’s noted that the son isn’t actually the father’s.
- father commits suicide or is killed
- daughter had been brainwashed by cult prior and is alive doing cult things(like robbing a pharmacy).
- my biggest suspect so far would be the uncle and maybe mother.. or someone who hasn’t been introduced yet.

Anyone care to guess what happened to

Rebecca, who I assume is Hayes daughter? They talked about how she's moved and won't move back, or something like that. Think she's dead? Or in some sort of Black Panther movement or the like? Did she get kiddyfiddled? What do you think her relationship with Hayes and the rest of the family is, if she's still alive?

Last edited:
Anyone care to guess what happened to

Rebecca, who I assume is Hayes daughter? They talked about how she's moved and won't move back, or something like that. Think she's dead? Or in some sort of Black Panther movement or the like? Did she get kiddyfiddled? What do you think her relationship with Hayes and the rest of the family is, if she's still alive?

I’m willing to bet that his daughter is alive but their relationship is strained due to whatever reason. Hays talked a lot of his wife’s death and indicated that he still isn’t coping with it, So I would imagine losing a child would be a lot worse, but he made no mention of it.

FYI, I just rewatched the season 3 trailer. Lots of hints in it about things to come later on in the season.

Not reading any of this thread yet.

Just finished episode 1. Going to watch Episode 2 tonight.

Thought it was good. I like the main guy so far. I liked the plot up until the end of the episode. I don't know how that's going to play / whether it's a good idea.

Hope Woodard comes in hot and whoops some white trash ass next episode.

Pretty dull episode. I really liked the first episode, but each one has gone downhill. They are working a case with no leads. Tedious shit.

Dorff is killing it, but none of these characters are very intriguing.

Really liking this season.

Just one thing

when Carmen Ejogo suggests going back to a motel to drink and have sex all night, you say “YES!”

Some intriguing stuff last night. Ghost wife referencing Hays being afraid that they’ll find something he left in the woods?

Back