Trouble doing Takedowns?

Peter

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been training in BJJ/Judo for a year now, and can only seem to finish trips and such, But whenever I need to do something really simple like a Drop Seoi Nage I always get too nervous and back out at the last second; I can do the moves just fine, Just applying them in a live situation makes me so nervous that I can't do them. I can get and uchi mata some times but not often. I have never gotten a hip throw either. I'm not sure what's wrong, everyone else seems to be able to do them just fine but with me even a double leg take down is too daunting for me. Any advice?

I may be way off base here, but I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say that your timing on throws/take downs sucks. If your timing and set up was better, you wouldn't be so nervous about doing the throws.

You're worrying too much. Just take what you can get. Don't be afraid to try for something. What's the worst that will happen?

I have been training in BJJ/Judo for a year now, and can only seem to finish trips and such, But whenever I need to do something really simple like a Drop Seoi Nage I always get too nervous and back out at the last second; I can do the moves just fine, Just applying them in a live situation makes me so nervous that I can't do them. I can get and uchi mata some times but not often. I have never gotten a hip throw either. I'm not sure what's wrong, everyone else seems to be able to do them just fine but with me even a double leg take down is too daunting for me. Any advice?

1- Seoi nages are really anything but simple.

2- Stop being a pussy and throw. When you commit to a throw you commit 100%.

You are never going to be able to land 100% of your throws. Hell you may never land 40% of your throws. That shouldn't stop you from doing them. I won a match in a tournamnet one time on something like my 8 or 9th throw attempt. You gotta stop thinking and just throw.

1- Seoi nages are really anything but simple.

2- Stop being a pussy and throw. When you commit to a throw you commit 100%.

You are never going to be able to land 100% of your throws. Hell you may never land 40% of your throws. That shouldn't stop you from doing them. I won a match in a tournamnet one time on something like my 8 or 9th throw attempt. You gotta stop thinking and just throw.

I meant simple compared to say a harai goshi or tai otoshi

Do you get alot of throwing practice in or just uchikomi?

Training judo for a year and not being able to do a seoinage in randori isnt uncommon tho.

You need to clinch or tie if you ever hope to set up a takedown. Don't rely on your awesome outside shot, because most people don't have one. Even wrestlers. And the best way to lose a takedown is with a bad or telegraphed shot. Long story short, set ups are key!

The 2 on 1 is the only clinch where you are in a superior position both offensively and defensively.

Here are examples from Judo, Sambo and Wrestling.

You need to clinch or tie if you ever hope to set up a takedown. Don't rely on your awesome outside shot, because most people don't have one. Even wrestlers. And the best way to lose a takedown is with a bad or telegraphed shot. Long story short, set ups are key!

The 2 on 1 is the only clinch where you are in a superior position both offensively and defensively.

nice videos

I'm surprised that's in Sambo, With that grip the person holding the arm is just waiting to get punched in the head.

quit showing people the 2 on 1...I destroy people at my gym with it

i need my secret weapon!

I have done a ton of takedowns this past year. You have to commit to your shot. Also try faking shots to mix it up.

Back