Tricks of Lomachenko

aries

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I came across this video which goes over the tricks of one of the best technicians in boxing today, Vasyl Lomachenko. It has a lot of interesting techniques on display and I certainly saw a few things that I hadn't noticed before despite being a big Lomachenko fan. If you are a fan of boxing technique in general this is well worth a view.

I saw the video when it was first posted and used the “slapping the guard down” trick in my next sparring session. I also really liked his Duran video. I’ve been trying to add more “grappling” techniques in my game where I physically try to movement my opponents’ hands to block and create openings.

Excellent video! Thanks for posting!

Far and away the best boxer right now, IMO

Good video, I always thought grabbing the gloves like he does to open up the guard was illegal in boxing, guess not. Also those extreme outside angles he gets might put you in the direct path of a spinning backfist/elbow in kickboxing/MT/MMA ruleset, in boxing they are godmode tho.

Bisping has used that slapping down the guard trick too, he did it several times in his fight with Silva.

Last edited:
wow excellent boxer. and he's southpaw too, gotta watch a few of his fights then :D any other southpaw recommendations with superb boxing

wow excellent boxer. and he's southpaw too, gotta watch a few of his fights then :D any other southpaw recommendations with superb boxing
Guillermo Rigondeaux. A poster above said Lomachenko is the best boxer right now. I think that title goes to either Rigondeaux or Gonzalez.

There are a lot of good boxers, but for me it does come down to Lomachenko or Rigondeaux, the fluidity in their footwork, counters and set ups seal if to for

There are a lot of good boxers, but for me it does come down to Lomachenko or Rigondeaux, the fluidity in their footwork, counters and set ups seal if to for
Ward, Rigo, Gonzalez, Lomachenko, Crawford, Canelo, Inoue, GGG off the top of my head are all great fighters atm.

Imagine how great it would be if we could get something like:

GGG vs Canelo
Rigo vs Lomachenko
Gonzalez vs Inoue
Ward vs Kovalev

In the near future. That would be awesome!

Ward, Rigo, Gonzalez, Lomachenko, Crawford, Canelo, Inoue, GGG off the top of my head are all great fighters atm.

Imagine how great it would be if we could get something like:

GGG vs Canelo
Rigo vs Lomachenko
Gonzalez vs Inoue
Ward vs Kovalev

In the near future. That would be awesome!
They are dream match ups. Ward vs. Kovalev looks to be the one that will happen first. Can't wait. Unfortunately Loma vs. Rigondeaux looks unlikely now as Loma has gone up a weight and further away from Rigo.

They are dream match ups. Ward vs. Kovalev looks to be the one that will happen first. Can't wait. Unfortunately Loma vs. Rigondeaux looks unlikely now as Loma has gone up a weight and further away from Rigo.
I hope we get to see them all. It should be possible, but it's boxing so it's hard to know.

I saw the video when it was first posted and used the “slapping the guard down” trick in my next sparring session. I also really liked his Duran video. I’ve been trying to add more “grappling” techniques in my game where I physically try to movement my opponents’ hands to block and create openings.

A lot of guys talk about mayweather's crab/shoulder roll. Some guys talk about his level changing jab. But not a whole lot of guys talk about what I think is/was his real trick; the fact that almost every time he sends a hard shot down range, he immediately follows it up by getting his hands on the opponent and clinching up to prevent them from firing back.

Its an interesting example of synchronycity or convergent evolution I think, since the old addage in mma is if your game plan is to wrestle with guys, the easiest way to get into the clinch is to punch your way in.

Last edited:
A lot of guys talk about mayweather's crab/shoulder roll. Some guys talk about his level changing jab. But not a whole lot of guys talk about what I think is/was his real trick; the fact that almost every time he sends a hard shot down range, he immediately follows it up by getting his hands on the opponent and clinching up to prevent them from firing back.
That’s another move I’m trying to add to my game. I love how Floyd throws a shot and uses his hands on his opponent to spin away. Cotto does this too although more to open up his offense.

Its an interesting example of synchronycity or convergent evolution I think, since the old addage in mma is if your game plan is to wrestle with guys, the easiest way to get into the clinch is to punch your way in.

I agree. I always said that Mayweather is the smaller version of Klitschko or if you want, Klitschko is the heavyweight Mayweather. That smothering game is a big part of their game.

I wonder how Klitschko's stand up wrestle-boxing with quick jab would work if adopted in some crude form by some tall wrestler in MMA.

Oleksandr Usyk

Probably the greatest talent in the heavier divisions of boxing right now, won the gold medal in 2012 Olympics for Ukraine in the amateur heavyweight (91 kg) division. He's a legit technical boxer and he's fighting another great southpaw cruiserweight Krisztof Glowacki this year, who's more of a brawler though but very skilled too, very good in later rounds (watch Glowacki vs Marco Huck fight, my personal favorite fight of 2015).

If you're a bigger guy you can definitely learn from Usyk.

The cruiserweight (the boxing equivalent of MMA LHW division) is filled with Eastern Euros right now.

He's also quite charismatic, here's an interesting documentary about him (English subs) if you have time

Erislandy Lara

Probably don't need to introduce him much, great boxer, very good lateral movement. If you like to move on the outside and stay out of range you should study him. He gave Canelo a tought fight that he won in the opinion of many.

Back