Tribute shrine to The G-MAN: The rise and fall of Gerald McClellan

KillerIsBack V2

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
G-MAN, Teddy Atlas' favorite fighter, has two early dominating KO wins over The Hawk, a man most hardcores consider the hardest puncher in boxing history, the second was a first rounk KO, where he walked through his punches and didnt shake, outpunched him, outboxed him, and destroyed him in just one round.

[YT]n06dMrZW6Yw[/YT]

He then wanted to challenge himself further and moved up to challenge another WBC champ, Nigel Benn.
And was doing pretty well, and was even given the pridiction advantage beforehand. But as we all know, the "The Dark Destroyer" is like The Hulk, the more damage he gets, the angrier and stronger he gets, lol. And this was the first time in his entire Career that G-man went over the 8th round, as Benn pulls out the upset KO. One of my favorite fighter ever.
[YT]7to-Ch5Omaw[/YT]

McClellan was dragged out on a stretcher, so it wasn't really, a give up of heart, as the commentators put it. He became fully blind and almost fully deaf with memory problems after that war, but I dont know if something outside the ring had anything to do with it as well.

[YT]LGz-unNi1dU[/YT]

Some of the worst officiating I've seen in a fight...

I love Nigel benn, but the ref bought him so much extra time.

G man was a fantastic fighter, but nothing will ever persuade me that as a person he was anything other than a horrible ****.

I don't think many think he punches harder than the Hawk.

Was it this fight where McClellan said something to Benn's family about them needing a pine box for their son after this fight?

G man was a fantastic fighter, but nothing will ever persuade me that as a person he was anything other than a horrible ****.

Same I've heard he was awful

Was it this fight where McClellan said something to Benn's family about them needing a pine box for their son after this fight?

yes, he said it to Benns father

G-Man was a horrible **** of the highest order

You have 20 seconds to get back into the ring when you are knocked out of it, not 10. The ref was 100% right.

Now, the ref did miss a deliberate head butt by benn.

You have 20 seconds to get back into the ring when you are knocked out of it, not 10. The ref was 100% right.

I was referring to all the unnecessary breaks, and constant separation of the fighters, several times he literally shoved Gerald .

you are also not allowed to be helped back into the ring, Benn clearly was

the officiating was pretty poor

Obviously he could have continued as he went on to win the fight, but he took so much more damage after that KD. It's easy to say in hindsight but, for the sake of both fighters, that fight should have been stopped after Benn went through the ropes. He was out cold. Even though he beat the count, it's still terrible to take more brain trauma after an event like that. Same thing goes for Cooper/Moorer. Moorer should have lost by KO for the sake of his own career when Cooper knocked him through the ropes.

I don't think many think he punches harder than the Hawk.

I don't think that's what he meant but I recall The Ring having McClellan ranked higher than Jackson on their "all-time punchers" list. I'll check though

Edit: I was wrong. McClellan is #27 and Jackson is #25 (which is laughable btw)

Last edited:
Obviously he could have continued as he went on to win the fight, but he took so much more damage after that KD. It's easy to say in hindsight but, for the sake of both fighters, that fight should have been stopped after Benn went through the ropes. He was out cold. Even though he beat the count, it's still terrible to take more brain trauma after an event like that. Same thing goes for Cooper/Moorer. Moorer should have lost by KO for the sake of his own career when Cooper knocked him through the ropes.

Cooper didnt knock Moorer through the ropes, unless you are not talking about Bert and Michael?

Cooper didnt knock Moorer through the ropes, unless you are not talking about Bert and Michael?

Well not fully, a la Benn/McClellan or Maskaev/Rahman but partially. I also believe Moorer did it to Cooper with the final uppercut/left hand knockdown that ended the fight. Maybe I have to rewatch it.

edit: you're right. I was indeed thinking of the first knockdown of that fight but he didn't go through the ropes at all

Anyone who goes down that way is essentially sleeping. Never a good idea to let that guy try to get up. No ropes though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back