triangle question

Magma99

White Belt
Reaction score
i ve problems with triangle, i can only finish it when i am perpendicular to the other.
i often see people lock it even if they are in the same direction.
what s the problem ? i ve short legs ? not enough flexible ?

well people with shorter legs and who arent that flexible have a harder time finishing triangles. I'm 5'7 164lbs and i've always had a hard time finishing triangles. I've been working on a few different stretches and such to help me become more limber so i can hit them more frequently.

You can hit it from the same direction if your opponent's posture is already broken down enough, and you are strong enough to control the arm. But it's way harder to get them broken down and get that arm across.

Its all about how well you set them up....i'm 5'6 150 and i can hit triangles pretty well now beacause i constantly work on setting them up.....the better u set them up, the tighter it will be. If its set up loosely, it gives the opponent more room to adjust and get space, then you have to grab ur ankle..put the other foot in the hip and swivel off to the side, like you've been saying you do. Its not a bad thing to finish that way, it just gives more time and space for the opponent to posture up, get his knees under your back and get out. Work on better set ups and getting them SOLID. It will help ur game and ur triangles will be tighter

Shorter legs makes a much tigher triangle though, makes it harder to get out. As long as you can close it then your good. Just get the arm further across and pull the head.

I always hold tight on my shin and kick with the leg on the hip. I kick as hard as i possibly can and pull my shin as hard at the same time. close it and they squirm try to get my knee to the ground. Then make a little wedge with my arm.. from my knee to the ground.. so it cant be pushed down.
Hard to word. 5 seconds later = tapping.

Picture- knee to palm.. elbow in the ground posting knee up.

short legs really dont help. i have fairly long legs and by the time i close the triangle my partner is tapping and this is before i pinch my knees together.

i do have problems hitting this in sparring. atm it just gets my guard passed but thats because im still doing it in steps or just not quick enough. mat time and work will help that. but i find i'm slipping out of a few triangle attemps from higher belts and i'm new to the game. (bad of my to put my self in a situation where i have to slip out of a sub though).

i get my leg on their shoulder, and other foot on the hip.. post out ot the side and that's where the pass usually happens. i suppose i need to grab my foot before posting out or get a good lock on the arm or completely break their posture before getting to the side. something i'm not doing.

i dont understand why people do the triangle in "steps..." they always telepgraph that they're going to do the triangle and the bring their legs up to my head... then i know its coming and just defend it.

i'm 6'0" and 165 lbs, and I have pretty skinny legs, and I always just toss the arm aside and throw my legs over and get the triangle...

most moves are taught in steps so i do them in steps until i'm quick enough to hit it smoothely. i learned the triangle a few classes ago, so that probably explains it.

dont grab the foot, grab the shin.

Grab the head also so he doesnt just posture out of your weak triangle attempt. If your mis the triangle and he starts to pass you need to push off his shoulder and hip.. Bring your outside knee down and back inside to block is body from comming around.... ask you instructor he will show you.

Magma99 said:
i ve problems with triangle, i can only finish it when i am perpendicular to the other.

That's the best way to finish it. Keep at it. Don't worry too much that others can finish it with technique that isn't as good.

I have difficulty finishing the triangle, too. I'm flexible, but I have short legs - I'm only 5'1, 130 pounds. But when I don't finish it, I use it as a transition move. Similar useage to the omoplata, really.

5'6 and posted on this exact thing probably a year ago. get more flexible and transition to triangle-armbar from triangle .

yank ur opponent down as hard and as close to u as u can and triangle your legs like ur looking for a regular triangle. probably ur opponent will feel the triangle comin and either stack u(which is the wrong thing to do anyway) or try and pull out. if u feel em pullin out lock up the arm and get the armbar. if they stack u just roll out underneath em and carry on securing ur tryin from mount.

the triangle is my favorite submission by far and im fairly short 5'8" with short legs relative to the rest of me. im also not that flexible and ive got an achy left knee that prevents me from doing rubber guard type stuff on that side - hence i can't close the my triangle if i don't get close to perpendicular. my favorite place to finish it is the top. either sweep them or set it up from the top to begin with. no one does triangles from the top....why? ill never know.

To tighten up the triangle, take a yoga ball and put it just above your knees. Squeeze together real hard and get used to keeping the triangle tight with your knees. If they ain't shakin, it ain't tight.

Magma99 said:
Probably both. Don't worry! Adjust the move to your body type and compensate as needed, don't adjust yourself to a move!

Flexibilty training and drilling will make you get better, play around with weaker fighters and try to get it from hard to reach positions- you will improve!

Oh Yeah, hang weights from your legs while you do chin-ups, it will never work, but you can actually stretch your spine and gain like a 1/8 of an inch in height!(jk, never actually do this.)

Do any of you disagree that being perpendicular on the triangle is the best way to be? I know it can be finished parallel, but I always strive for perpendicular as it is significantly more efficient and also a lot easier to prevent slamming (actually, the way I do it it always prevents slamming).

without the turn from kicking the hip.. not only is the choke weak and not tight.. its much easier to escape. PLus if you dont turn in hard enough you cant hook the leg and your going to get slammed.
But some times it is enough to hold them while you crank the arm instead.

Finish the triangle how ever you can. Being perpendicular will help you close it better. If you absolutely feel that you must be able to finish it strait flexibility will help, but also do this...

Pull them in tight and when you hook the leg over their neck experiment with moving your hips over a little in the direction of the trapped arm (I think... I'd need to do it to be sure). Don't leave your hips square between your opponents knees.

yeah for sure being stalky makes the triangle more difficult to pull off,

by actually working various other chokes in BJJ, it will improve your
triangle.

at first i had trouble with the triangle but then I got it, but I couldn't do the
arm triangle, now I'm got the arm triangle which is for some reason helping
me do the gi chokes better,

it just takes time, to understand little ways to apply pressure, angles, and
what your attacking.

Magma99 said:

the bottom line is you should be perpendicular when finishing a triangle. jiu jitsu isn't about using technique, when possible, in liu of strentgth. why power through to finish a move when you are just a slight ajustment away from a good finish?

Back