Triangle masters with short legs

Turtlepawah

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I've always had a decent triangle choke, but it's never been one of my best moves. I really haven't got the ideal body type to be dangerous with triangles, being 5'8 and 130 pounds, but on the other hand my small man complex and general bull headedness has made me turn alot of my weaknesses into strengths. I have developed a very nasty pressure passing game, a heavy knee-on-belly and crushing chokes from the mount, and now I have decided to really make the triangle my own. I have figured out some really effective principles that keeps me from getting stacked or picked up, so I think I'm on to something good, but I'm having trouble finding effective entries to the position. I thought of looking at what the pros do, but most of the guys I associate with triangles are lanky guys with long legs that relies alot on elaborate grips in the gi. I'd like to see how stockier guys like to solve the triangle, so can any of think of someone that chokes the shit out of people with their legs, without being super tall?

tbh ilike neil and karl silver fox's method of finishing triangles works great for short legs dont even have to get a good angle works well for me vs having to do the way john teaches which has so many adjustments

It's weird but i've always found my short (but big) legs to finish off triangles quite well, and my rolling partner outweighs me by quite a lot, might be because I can get quality squeeze but idk

Try answering more from the back or from halfway to the back. I think you'll have better angles than entering from your guard.
I'm one of those tall guys with long legs but my coach is closer to your size and that's how he usually catches me with a triangle

Height isn’t everything... you could be 5’8 with skinny long legs or 5’8 with short stocky legs... if have short stocky legs you can develop a good triangle, but to be honest, it should never be the focus of your game...

Height isn’t everything... you could be 5’8 with skinny long legs or 5’8 with short stocky legs... if have short stocky legs you can develop a good triangle, but to be honest, it should never be the focus of your game...

marcelos triangle on leo comes to mind apparently he has a insaneee squeeze with those tree trunk legs on his triangle tbh he should be decent at it given he has such insane 2 on 1 grips to bully into them on guys in his weight class

marcelos triangle on leo comes to mind apparently he has a insaneee squeeze with those tree trunk legs on his triangle tbh he should be decent at it given he has such insane 2 on 1 grips to bully into them on guys in his weight class

Yeah that was good, anyways how many triangles did you see him even go for in competition? That’s all I’m saying, I bet he has good squeezes, but the squeeze Isn’t that important, since most people should have a strong enough squeeze with proper tecnhque to finish it once fully locked

Yeah that was good, anyways how many triangles did you see him even go for in competition? That’s all I’m saying, I bet he has good squeezes, but the squeeze Isn’t that important, since most people should have a strong enough squeeze with proper tecnhque to finish it once fully locked

well u dont see many trianges because 90% of the time hes playing top position after 2005 he pulled guard and swept a lot

he also love shis guillotines omoplatas and butterfly sweeps to much from bottom to focus on triangles

and i think i remember reading leo saying that was by far the tightest triangle he has ever felt

So far, every video has been about finishing. As I said, I'm looking for entries into the triangle. I'm a brown belt and know how to finish quite well. I want to look at new entries in order to get some inspiration. I'm beginning to develop what might become a pretty solid system where even guys that are +200 pounds can neither posture up nor stack me, so I'm pretty pleased so far. Trouble is finding ways of getting there. I can get it from the top quite well, and from the back to a lesser extent, but there are generally way better subs to go for from there. I'd like to focus on bottom guard simply because it's hard, and it will feel so much sweeter when I finally get it down :) Also, as a coach, I always feel that if my small, short, weak body can pull a move off, any one of my students will be able to make it work as well.

I tend to get more out of competition/sparring videos rather than technique demonstrations, so feel free to post any cool matches you come across.

well u dont see many trianges because 90% of the time hes playing top position after 2005 he pulled guard and swept a lot

he also love shis guillotines omoplatas and butterfly sweeps to much from bottom to focus on triangles

and i think i remember reading leo saying that was by far the tightest triangle he has ever felt

And why do you think he plays top position a lot? Why was that Braulio and Edwin attacks triangles so much? Cause their body type is fit for those attacks. Marcelo would’ve been wasting his time going for triangles with those legs, it doesn’t mean he can’t triangle people if the situation arrives...

And why do you think he plays top position a lot? Why was that Braulio and Edwin attacks triangles so much? Cause their body type is fit for those attacks. Marcelo would’ve been wasting his time going for triangles with those legs, it doesn’t mean he can’t triangle people if the situation arrives...

well obviously you should fight how your built thats why he plays top most and he knows he has insane base by the way he is built u never see him getting swept no gi in his division but as is aid he use to play bottom till after 2005 he started aggressivly taking top

well obviously you should fight how your built thats why he plays top most and he knows he has insane base by the way he is built u never see him getting swept no gi in his division but as is aid he use to play bottom till after 2005 he started aggressivly taking top

He used to play bottom, but he was never triangle hunter, that’s all I’m saying

I bet he has good squeezes, but the squeeze Isn’t that important, since most people should have a strong enough squeeze with proper tecnhque to finish it once fully locked

Doesn't Marcelo finish triangles without locking them too.

tbh ilike neil and karl silver fox's method of finishing triangles works great for short legs dont even have to get a good angle works well for me vs having to do the way john teaches which has so many adjustments

Can't take this video serious with both guys being skinny with small legs.

I apologize in advance since you are probably way higher ranked than me (I am a blue belt), but your post caught my eye because I too am 5'8" with a longer torso to leg proportions.

I've been getting triangles from the bottom a lot, and my favorite way is the pretty basic arm weave through their arm to pull down on the opposte lapel (trapping the left arm) and then just pushing their right arm below my knee and once that happens I left go of lapel with left arm and basically just pull down on their head. This works really well for me despite being so basic.

Again, you probably know all this already but just wanted to share since we are similar height. (I'm 170lb though)

He used to play bottom, but he was never triangle hunter, that’s all I’m saying
i know he mostly hunted butterfly sweeps he didnt believe inkimuras or prob triangles he had the insane wristcontrol though t bully triangles if he really wanted to it just wasnt in his nature is what im saying

I apologize in advance since you are probably way higher ranked than me (I am a blue belt), but your post caught my eye because I too am 5'8" with a longer torso to leg proportions.

I've been getting triangles from the bottom a lot, and my favorite way is the pretty basic arm weave through their arm to pull down on the opposte lapel (trapping the left arm) and then just pushing their right arm below my knee and once that happens I left go of lapel with left arm and basically just pull down on their head. This works really well for me despite being so basic.

Again, you probably know all this already but just wanted to share since we are similar height. (I'm 170lb though)

My friend, never apologize for contributing :) The fact that I might have acumulated more knowledge and experience than you doesn't mean that I can't learn something new from you. If it works for you, despite actually having a greater height disadvantage relative to opponents of your own size than I do, then it means you are doing something right. I'm not entirely sure exactly what set up you are refering to, I would probably need a video to understand, but I think it is one of the most basic set ups, correct? If it is the one I'm thinking about, I really like it, teach it alot and use it to some extent. However, I find it hard to get against people with a meaningfull size advantage over me (+50 lbs and I can only get it on white belts). Generally, I find it hard to controll posture against bigger guys using this set up.

Back