Triangle choke??? Help me

CanadianStriker

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I am having a lot of trouble working my triangle choke. I can position my legs properly and apply pressure but I dont seem to be able to get the tap. Can somone help me/

CanadianStriker said:
I am having a lot of trouble working my triangle choke. I can position my legs properly and apply pressure but I dont seem to be able to get the tap. Can somone help me/

really? I doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. Even if you don't have tight enough grip already you can pull their head down to get the tap. Are you turning your hips away to make the choke tight? Either way, it isn't a bad position to have, work a kimura on one of their arms on go for armbars or armlocks.

Sometimes when you perform it on someone just locking the choke in isn't enough to make them tap. You have to remember to pull the opponent's arm over their face, and pinch your knees togeather.

Is your body at an angle, and are you pushing your hips up?

I find it hard to believe that you have your legs on right and aren't getting a tap. If you have a proper cut across the back of the neck AND a figure 4 lock (hard to do!!!), a tap should be almost inevitable. You can pull down the head and lift your hips to create more pressure, but if you really have the legs locked properly, it should be real easy.

My bet is that you don't really have a good cut across the back of the neck with your leg, and are catching some shoulder/back in your triangle. Have you tried cutting with your body at an angle?

PS -- triangle is my favorite sub. I have the Rigan Machado book and dvd.

try grabbing your ankle to lock it in good and then pull down on head it shouldnt fail.

Zankou said:
I find it hard to believe that you have your legs on right and aren't getting a tap. If you have a proper cut across the back of the neck AND a figure 4 lock (hard to do!!!), a tap should be almost inevitable. You can pull down the head and lift your hips to create more pressure, but if you really have the legs locked properly, it should be real easy.

My bet is that you don't really have a good cut across the back of the neck with your leg, and are catching some shoulder/back in your triangle. Have you tried cutting with your body at an angle?

PS -- triangle is my favorite sub. I have the Rigan Machado book and dvd.

I agree. No offense to the original poster, but often people think they have the correct positioning but really don't. Thus, they don't get the tap.

Good suggestions from everyone so far. I'd add that you just have to work on all the details, and maybe have your instructor watch your technique, to see what you need to improve. It's tough to get everyone's opinion without us seeing what you're doing.

Well thanks for the suggestions guys I will keep trying and hopre to get it soon

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with the triangle my opponent would tap but it seemed to take an age. I didnt have the correct body angle to my opponent. Also a friend told me to think about squeezeing my thighs together and this works for me anyway.

To be blunt, no, you don't have the right position, you just think you do. The most important part of the triangle is to make sure your leg is going ACROSS THE NECK, not across the back. Also, make sure you rotate enough. From there you should lock your other leg and pull down on the head. Key points: Make sur there arm is pulled ALL THE WAY across their neck. There should be no space left at all beetween the his head and your legs, everything should be air tight (especially if you're on the small side).I'm assuming you do not train at a jiu jitsu school, otherwise the instructor would fix this with ease.

jludley said:
try grabbing your ankle to lock it in good and then pull down on head it shouldnt fail.
Agreed. Pull the head down...

jludley said:
Of course it will fail, if he does not have his poitioning right.

I'd suggest that your problem is almost certainly the allignment of the lag thats wrapped around their neck, it needs to be perpendicular to their neck and it may well be pointing down their back, this will put more pressure on their shoulder than their neck and it will be difficult to submit them. The best thing to do is to work on your hip flexibility to try and make it easier to get the right angle. I also suggest getting someone who nkows the move well and getting them to feel where your positioning is off.

Pull head down, arm across, grab leg also if you don't want them to stand up and cut an angle

Also pull your shin, not your ankle. Pulling your ankle or foot can lead to injuring yourself.

If you have long legs like me it can be difficult to get a tap sometimes simply because the massive triangle formed by your legs leaves so much room for the guy stuck in it.

Make sure you have the arm pulled across correctly, arch hips and pull down on his head, it will come...just might take a couple seconds longer than it would with a shorter guy.

^^^ That's a new one...haven't run across that yet. Most people that complain of problems are short legged, while the long-legged usually love their triangles. Unless you're grappling girls and little kids or are extremely tall (i.e. 7') I have trouble visualizing this being a problem, unless you're missing something on technique.

Back