Trend: Smart UFC Fighters Don't Respect The Belts

machidafan99

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Nowadays they make it seem like only suckers care about the belts beyond the money aspect.
Earnest fighters like Miocic and DC have been overtaken by the Conors of the world.

I see no logical reason for Nate not to throw this fight for a bigger trilogy pay day.
These fictitious belts created by a single company that gets sold when the price is right.

Actually it's the ones that are less skilled who try to capitalize on 15 minutes

Real Champs:

Jon Jones - fight anyone anytime anywhere at LHW

GSP - Fight anyone anytime anywhere at WW

BJ Penn - fight anyone anytime anywhere at LW

Etc.

Results = LONG reigning champs

Less skilled counterparts:

Connie Mac - DUCKED Frankie and ended up getting strangled by a middle of the pack LW

Bisping - DUCKED Jac, will probably go on to beat 60 year old Hendo, then get finished by Romero or Jac and retiring as the MWs Matt Serra

Ty-Run - will probably hold out for a big payday fight which he won't get... then get a few extra thousand to get fed to Wonderboy and be a one and done champ.

Can't really blame the guys looking for a payday fight, but it's more because they know they don't have the skills to hold the belt for more than a fight or two.

When you say belts are sold when the price is right, are you implying that fighters get paid to take a dive? Do you have proof?
Also, there's no guarantee there will be a trilogy. If Conor somehow manages to pull out a win, he will be smart enough to run and take other fights. He will justify it as he vindicated himself and he has nothing else to prove by fighting Nate again.
There's a reason why Miocic and DC are not as marketable as Conor, and it has nothing to do with them caring about the belts.
Man, where were you when they taught logic in class?

Do people really think Nate cares about going for the belt?

He wants the pay days he's deserved.

It's money, money, money. Nothing wrong with that but devalues the belts in the sporting aspect of it all.

Fun fact: When BJ Penn sued the UFC to get his title back, the UFC's defense was that there was no such thing as a title, and that the belt merely constituted a "trophy". The UFC "title" doesn't exist like it does in boxing. It's just a strap they put on your waist.

Actually it's the ones that are less skilled who try to capitalize on 15 minutes

Real Champs:

Jon Jones - fight anyone anytime anywhere at LHW

GSP - Fight anyone anytime anywhere at WW

BJ Penn - fight anyone anytime anywhere at LW

Etc.

Results = LONG reigning champs

Less skilled counterparts:

Connie Mac - DUCKED Frankie and ended up getting strangled by a middle of the pack LW

Bisping - DUCKED Jac, will probably go on to beat 60 year old Hendo, then get finished by Romero or Jac and retiring as the MWs Matt Serra

Ty-Run - will probably hold out for a big payday fight which he won't get... then get a few extra thousand to get fed to Wonderboy and be a one and done champ.

Can't really blame the guys looking for a payday fight, but it's more because they know they don't have the skills to hold the belt for more than a fight or two.
Jones didn't fight Sonnen on short notice. You are wrong.

I see no logical reason for Nate not to throw this fight for a bigger trilogy pay day.

Just-stop-GIF.gif

Jones would never fight if he didn't have assurances about being allowed to eye gouge.

i don't really care about belts.

I would care about "money fights" if that were synonymous with "entertaining fights" however they are not (c.f., GSP)

Crossing weight classes is an extremely exciting prospect to me when done correctly and justifiably.

Conor had just disposed of Aldo without even breaking a sweat after rampaging through the division.

Striking while the iron was hot on the UFC's cash cow is hardly worthy of contempt.

Whether or not the rematch is warranted is up for debate however I do agree that Conor looked pretty good in that first round and it was far from a bell to finish ass whooping like the haters paint the narrative.

Do people really think Nate cares about going for the belt?

He wants the pay days he's deserved.

It's money, money, money. Nothing wrong with that but devalues the belts in the sporting aspect of it all.
He doesent care no. But he only gets a third Conor fight if he wins again.

Nowadays they make it seem like only suckers care about the belts beyond the money aspect.
Earnest fighters like Miocic and DC have been overtaken by the Conors of the world.

These fictitious belts created by a single company that gets sold when the price is right.

You realize Conor cares more about Belts than any other fighter in MMA right? He wants to hold 2 if not 3 belts simultaneously and won't vacate a belt he has no plans to ever defend since making the FW limit is too difficult for him now. The Diaz brothres don't care about belts any more since they have no realistic chance at one. Smart on their part but its not a trend at all.

Back