Training wrestling and BJJ on the same day. I need some help.

hamoom

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
this week I decided I had enough of my takedowns being subpar, and I wanted to really learn wrestling. I went to beverly hills high school, and amazingly, frank trigg is the coach. So I got started on monday, and I do wrestling from 2-4, and jiu jitsu from 7-9.

You can imagine training with frank trigg is not going to be easy. I have never been so exhausted in my life. Will I get used to this? How do pro fighters train hard so many times a day? By the time I get to BJJ, I just feel kinda drained.

I REALLY want to learn how to wrestle properly, but I don't want to mess up my BJJ training. Does anyone have any experience with this? I already feel like I'm sacrificing my BJJ training in a sense, because by the time I get to training BJJ, I don't feel like I can keep up with the crushers in the academy.

yeh you'll get used to it, Im 15 and on saturdays I train 1 hour of TKD 2 hours BJJ and 2 hours of wrestling in a row all at the same club, eventually your fitness will increase a huge amount, By the way whats frank trigg like, Im going to be training at R1 where him and vladimir Matushenko take classes in LA

he's a cool guy, hes not exactly personable though. he's all business

hamoom said:
this week I decided I had enough of my takedowns being subpar, and I wanted to really learn wrestling. I went to beverly hills high school, and amazingly, frank trigg is the coach. So I got started on monday, and I do wrestling from 2-4, and jiu jitsu from 7-9.

You can imagine training with frank trigg is not going to be easy. I have never been so exhausted in my life. Will I get used to this? How do pro fighters train hard so many times a day? By the time I get to BJJ, I just feel kinda drained.

I REALLY want to learn how to wrestle properly, but I don't want to mess up my BJJ training. Does anyone have any experience with this? I already feel like I'm sacrificing my BJJ training in a sense, because by the time I get to training BJJ, I don't feel like I can keep up with the crushers in the academy.

eating right can also help with this. Eat a lot of complex carbs before and after your workouts. taking some simple sugars immediately after a workout will help as well(folllowed by complex carbs).

make sure to have a good diet. you're gonna be burning a lot of ur muscle glycogen and if u dont replace it, you will feel drained.

FutureBxer said:
eating right can also help with this. Eat a lot of complex carbs before and after your workouts. taking some simple sugars immediately after a workout will help as well(folllowed by complex carbs).

make sure to have a good diet. you're gonna be burning a lot of ur muscle glycogen and if u dont replace it, you will feel drained.

what are some common foods with complex carbs?

actually with only 3 hours between sessions, I'm not sure that complex carbs AFTER your first session is really going to help. Glucose and fructose may be a better option as they are more readily accessed for energy. Complex carbs in the morning are probably a good bet.

Also, if you can, a quick nap between sessions will help. Plenty of sleep at night.

If you look at fighters who endure grueling, multiple workout sessions you'll notice a couple of things:

1) Overall clean diet
2) Lots of sleep
3) Naps

and... frequent use of steroids, who's benefit is more for quick recovery than anything else.

You're body will adapt though over time, but keep an eye on symptoms of overtraining.

LW

Ps: I also train at R1 and I have a hard enough time alternating wrestling classes with BJJ every other day. In fact, I've only done a solid 5 day week once in the 4 months I've been there.

PS: Wrestling is the shit. I suck royaly at it but it's fun nonetheless. And yes Frank and Vlady are pretty relentless, but that's a trait of all good wrestlers.

I train 10 times a week some times.. (last 3 weeks) and at first it so amazingly taxing on the body but you quickly begin to get acclimated to it.

Best thing is a good breakfast man and lots of sleep. Start out with some complex carbs ESPECIALY Oatmeal.
Keep carbs in your system throughout the day(fruits/juices). Try separating meals and spreading them periodically throughout your day. Eat then two hours later eat again. You shouldn

I'm not sure if your question is how not to gas or how to cope with doing two differnt trypes of grappling. if its about gassing, i know nothing lol, i tend to gas often while doing stand-up but can grapple all day long. I do wrestling from 3-5 then i do from 5:45 to 6:45 then i do MMA from 7-9, and i train BJJ threwout the day whenever anybody wants to work out. Its all about adapting what you know. When i'm in wrestling practice i find that knowing judo is an advantage. I can pull off really nice throws simply because the other guy gets confused because you dont do a traditional set-up. One on the ground, use some of them BJJ skills. Granted, pulling the guard will be a quick pin for the other guy but i often use x guard to set up sweeps. I also like to use spider guard while kinda laying on my side. I quite often will go for submisions to force the transiting, as long as you dont apply excessive force they will let it go, also, never lock the submision, just use it to get him to turn. And then you got ur wrestling to use aginst the guys at BJJ class. Use some of the basic takedowns you will learn and just keep drilling them. Good luck

hamoom said:

Are you a STUDENT at Beverly Hills High School, or did you just show up cuz you wanted to learn wrestling and trigg was cool enough to let you stick around?

I do the HS wrestling / BJJ thing, too, and at first it was kicking my a$$. Took me about a week to get used to it, and now I feel pretty damn good for an old guy. (I work with the heavy weights on the HS team as an asst coach).

DMcKayBJJ said:
Are you a STUDENT at Beverly Hills High School, or did you just show up cuz you wanted to learn wrestling and trigg was cool enough to let you stick around?

i just showed up, and trigg was cool enough

agu0001 said:
yeh you'll get used to it, Im 15 and on saturdays I train 1 hour of TKD 2 hours BJJ and 2 hours of wrestling in a row all at the same club, eventually your fitness will increase a huge amount, By the way whats frank trigg like, Im going to be training at R1 where him and vladimir Matushenko take classes in LA

Where abouts do you train in Melb?

I don't advocate drug use like roids or anything. But yeah everything already suggested.

Lots of sleep, eating right, learning about nutrition and running lots/improving cardio goes a long way.

- J.

The Jake said:
Where abouts do you train in Melb?

I don't advocate drug use like roids or anything. But yeah everything already suggested.

Lots of sleep, eating right, learning about nutrition and running lots/improving cardio goes a long way.

- J.

I train at Extreme Mixed Martial arts, near chadstone,, its run by John DOnehue who is one of Gene Lebells black belts

hammom , good luck man,
it sounds like a lot of work, i hope you adapt soon and stick to it, i ifeel like it will really make you a great grappler, and a cardio machine

They let you walk onto the high school campus and hang out, though you're not a student? Normally you have to have permission of the school to get access.

Back