Training with a cold??

mogway

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a bjj competition coming up on Sunday and unfortunately I have been caught up with a cold since last saturday. I Trained like a maniac before that and my last training was on saturday morning.

I have two questions:
- Will my cardio be affected by this cold?
- should I go training tonight? I don't feel particularly weaker but just cannot breath from the nose.

Thanks

Hey, could you give me the info on that competition, you know I can't compete but, I'm in trested in seeing it etc.

Look at it this way - if you're going to enter a comp with a cold you may as well train with one, so you're more prepared.

that's my POV anyway

Terrier said:
Look at it this way - if you're going to enter a comp with a cold you may as well train with one, so you're more prepared.

that's my POV anyway

Yes I know what you mean but what I am thinking is: that by Sunday ( the day of the competition), I will be cured of this cold. I'm worried that actual training will delay my recovery period.

I trained last night on a bad cold. Had to leave early. I gassed really bad, felt light headed and really dizzy.

Give your body a rest. Plus no will really want to train with you ifd you spend the session sniffiling and blowing your nose. Maybe go watch instead. Your cardio might be affected by the cold if you still have it. You have a lot of time to recover, try drinking lots of orange juice (vitamin c) and water. Oh, i wouldn't recommend trying to cut weight while sick either

Cojofl said:
Give your body a rest. Plus no will really want to train with you ifd you spend the session sniffiling and blowing your nose. Maybe go watch instead. Your cardio might be affected by the cold if you still have it. You have a lot of time to recover, try drinking lots of orange juice (vitamin c) and water. Oh, i wouldn't recommend trying to cut weight while sick either

I agree. Just take it easy until the comp.

This is insane! I have the same problem for 10 days already, mogway! The last 2 training sessions were a pain in the... head. I drilled passing the guard and some hg stuff and I thought I would pass out at one moment (there was little fresh air, too). My sinusitis do this to me every time I catch even the "lightest" cold. I had fever, my amigdalitis (sp?) were like two red plums and my nose was running big time. Maybe, if we face each other, we should allow the "blowing the nose" time out! :) Get well!!!

I've only been doing bjj for 7 months but I have a lot of competition experience outside of bjj. I find that it's impossible to predict what a cold will do to you. Sometimes they impact my cardio and drain me throughout the comp.

On the other hand, I remember one time I had a swim meet against our rivals in high school. A coach (former NFL player) asked me how I felt and I told him I was sick. I was concerned about how I would do and I was one of the key member of the team, which adds pressure. He paused to think and said, "You know, I've played with people that had their best performances ever when they aren't feeling well." I broke two school records that day.

I would get your rest and fluids in an effort to get better but I surely wouldn't count yourself out on "game day".

tudor_bjj said:
This is insane! I have the same problem for 10 days already, mogway! The last 2 training sessions were a pain in the... head. I drilled passing the guard and some hg stuff and I thought I would pass out at one moment (there was little fresh air, too). My sinusitis do this to me every time I catch even the "lightest" cold. I had fever, my amigdalitis (sp?) were like two red plums and my nose was running big time. Maybe, if we face each other, we should allow the "blowing the nose" time out! :) Get well!!!

I went training yesterday and was Ok. i should be fully recovered bysunday I think.
Yeah I alway get sick before competitions. I had diarreah once the whole week before a comp. I can tell you I had no problem making weight lol.
Get well too man ( vitamin C and rest) and see you on saturday. I should make it by 10 am there.

mogway said:
I went training yesterday and was Ok. i should be fully recovered bysunday I think.
Yeah I alway get sick before competitions. I had diarreah once the whole week before a comp. I can tell you I had no problem making weight lol.
Get well too man ( vitamin C and rest) and see you on saturday. I should make it by 10 am there.
Ohhh! Let's hope if you have diarreah we don't meet on the mat... :D

Don't worry man, no diareah but slighltly constipated though hehe

ps: u have PM

Back