Training the Pivot Step

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So a short step to the side and then a pivot on one foot to change the angle and get out of the way is what I'm talking about. Maybe we can expand my knowledge about this a little bit.

I was training with a friend last night and we worked on this a little, but I found my ideas for working on it ran dry pretty fast.

Drill 1)

To just practice the step in a shadow boxing like environment, one person paces around, occasionally walking straight towards the other person who is moving around and throwing punches. He pivots out of the way and throws some hits at you as you go by.

Drill 2)

Put on some gloves and blitz towards your partner throwing punches. He parries each hit and pivots to one side or the other as he makes the parry on that side, then throws some counter hits.

Drill 3)

On the focus mits, throw a short combo, like just a 1 or a 1-2. Pivot as you throw the last hit to keep him busy while you step, then throw a power combo. For example: 1-2-pivot-2-3-2-step out.

This is about the limit of what I know to do with the circle step provided I'm not working on some kind of wrist lock or whatever.

Anyone have anything else?

Much appreciated.

ive been workin on this so much lately too, lookin forward to this thread gettin some responses

....Idk but, isnt that called a dip? not a pivot step? >.<
AAH i get it, you forgot to mention that you should also rotate the step you take atfirst, or its going to be extremely externally rotated/internally rotated! I never practiced that >.>

I like to do the pivot with a hook personally.

From a boxing perspective, I'd maybe slip a right cross and step out a bit, then pivot on the front foot while sweeping the rear foot clockwise a bit and throw the lead hook. The key is being able to time weight shift so that even though you're moving forward to shift the weight back again on the hook so that the punch lands when the rear heel does (or when the weight settles back again).

From a Muay Thai perspective, a textbook counter is to literally step out to your power side (stance switch) and throw a hook with that side hand as you pivot on that (now) front foot to change the angle. The thing here is that the weight stays on the front leg when the hook is being thrown (right hand if you started from an orthodox stance). One of the reasons for this is because an opposite side angle kick typically comes directly after.

Last edited:
I like to do the pivot with a hook personally.

From a boxing perspective, I'd maybe slip a right cross and step out a bit, then pivot on the front foot while sweeping the rear foot clockwise a bit and throw the lead hook. The key is being able to time weight shift so that even though you're moving forward to shift the weight back again on the hook so that the punch lands when the rear heel does (or when the weight settles back again).

Good move, I'll work on that. I throw hooks as a cover sometimes but I almost always move straight back. It would be better if I could take angles with it.

From a Muay Thai perspective, a textbook counter is to literally step out to your power side (stance switch) and throw a hook with that side hand as you pivot on that (now) front foot to change the angle. The thing here is that the weight stays on the front leg when the hook is being thrown (right hand if you started from an orthodox stance). One of the reasons for this is because an opposite side angle kick typically comes directly after.

I used to do that, and I had a teacher that yelled at me for it, "don't jump when you punch!" Textbook huh? I mean, I always felt that kind of movement was obvious. Maybe I'll practice it again.

I used to do that, and I had a teacher that yelled at me for it, "don't jump when you punch!" Textbook huh? I mean, I always felt that kind of movement was obvious. Maybe I'll practice it again.

It's typically done against heavier straight attacks. I might do it against a deep push kick or distance knee or power kick from his right side.

Back