Training plan for only 1x a week

lethalazn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm a an odd spot right now, my instructor doesn't want to promo...just kidding :icon_chee:

All joking aside, I can only train once a week, I have both school & work so that eliminates being able to go to the gym or even watch instructionals (I barely even go on Sherdog anymore :icon_lol:) so that means every week I have about two hours to make the most out of my training.

It also doesn't help that my instructor mentions that as a blue belt, training consistently/often is even more important than before

So how should I make the most out of those two hours? Any specific gameplan? etc.

sorry to hear, always sucks when you can't train.

sometimes i throw instructional vids on my phone and watch during my commute to work and school. I find it keeps my mind jiu-jitsu oriented :icon_chee

I have been in a similar situation in the past, and I only did open mat rolling. My thinking was that I wouldn't get the reps I need to reinforce new techniques and that I should use my limited mat time to keep my old techniques as sharp as possible (as well as stay a little bit in BJJ shape). Again, that's just personally what I did, and I'm sure other people will have other experiences.

make sure to get high repetitions of the basics and roll time. I'm not sure if you'll get to choose the amount of new material that you absorb, but keep it to a minimum.

Also dont get discouraged when people that have been training less time than you start to pass you in both skill and rank.

While I don't have any technical suggestions, I would say to remember that BJJ is a great luxury and to enjoy your time doing it regardless of rank and frequency!

Don't forget to do solo drills at home when you have some time here and there.

30 minutes of finding new techniques. Drilling them constantly for 30 minutes.
1 hour roll time.

Try to keep your cardio up when you can't make it to the gym. That way your mind will stay fresh the whole time you're at practice.

Back