Training in the bush...

EvilElmo

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I currently live in Sydney, but I am soon moving to the bush, (mildura for the Aussies). As far as I have been able to check, TKD is the only place I can get trained in Stand-up. I am a grappler by nature, but I am wanting to start my stand-up training.

Now my question is, should I do TKD classes? Or instructional videos and use the gym at uni to train?

(Also a side question, dont want to make 2 threads, where in Sydney can I get gloves, fight shorts and rashies?)
Cheers.

-Elmo

Bump.

No-one has an opinion as to if I should do TKD cause its a form of stand up, or if I should just train alone?

Check out the gym and see whether it can boost your game.

Gym has like boxing classes (ie. Cardio kinda boxing.. you know the type) but a few heavy bags and speed balls etc. etc.

No actual coaching is available. I asked.

What experience do you have?

You should check the TKD school out, see what their sparring and instruction are like. If you supplement it with boxing, it could be a good introduction to standup.

I have pure ground work background. No experiance in standup.

I will check out the TKD places (there are like 3).

I cant see how it could hurt you to do TKD, although you might be better of yourself.

if i where in your clothes: I would do TKd to check it out, and at the same time watch videos. Watch Bas ruttens DVD's (but maybe you already knew that), then try to find someone to spar, get a helmet and some big gloves and shinpads and try and kill each other.

damn internet in thailand its slow as a fuck and made a double post, sorry...

myrtle said:
I cant see how it could hurt you to do TKD, although you might be better of yourself.

TKD is great for learning to kick but it does instill some bad habits, for example there are no kicks below the waist so you don't get used to doing leg checks, there is also no punching to the head so you won't get used to defending punches to the head.

Of course it depends on the individual dojang as to what they teach

EvilElmo said:
(Also a side question, dont want to make 2 threads, where in Sydney can I get gloves, fight shorts and rashies?)
Cheers.

-Elmo

There's numerous martial arts places around Sydney you can get this stuff from, whereabouts are you in sydney?

Basically some bag/spar gloves, fight shorts (I like the Vale Tudo ones especially) and some gracie rash protectors.

If you could PM me some locations EPT that would be awesome :)

Yeah, I am in Mildura for 4 years, so I want to continue my training and eventually get better, I've heard only bad things about TKD though. So yeah, if it came down to it, I will do it. But its more if its worth the money lol :)

Cheers :)

I don't think TKD is as bad as a lot of people here make it out to be, while it will teach you some bad practices it will make you a better kicker.

I used to do TKD a long time ago and now that i'm doing kickboxing i seem to be able to keep up with guys that are even a couple of grades ahead of me, though i was lucky enough to have a dojang in my area that wasn't quite as into the sport only aspect of TKD.

Lol, a Standup Technique sex thread?

EvilElmo said:
Gym has like boxing classes (ie. Cardio kinda boxing.. you know the type) but a few heavy bags and speed balls etc. etc.

No actual coaching is available. I asked.

I would avoid the cardio kickboxing classes if you're wanting to get better technique. Maybe it's different at that studio, but it seems that around here they are designed for over-weight housewives that are looking to get into shape. Not that there is anything wrong with that. And, if you want a good cardio workout, those classes can give it.

Yeah, that cardio stuff won't help you much. Just training hard in real effective standup should improve your cardio, especially with sparring.

Keep in mind that TKD takes a little longer than other styles to master. If you would only be there for a year then that's one thing, but if you're going to be there for four years then go for it. It's far better than nothing and it never hurts to know another way of fighting.

where there is a will, there is a way,

I would take TKD,
it can help you transition to Thaiboxing.

Back