Training in Philadelphia

Chesty LaRue

White Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone here trained at either Maxersice or Balance studios? If so what are your thoughts on the classes and instruction? Thanks.

The best thing for you to do is to go to both schools and check it out for yourself. I have never been to maxercise. Balance is hands down the best place that I have been to train. The migliarese brothers are the instrucors and are both world class. There are alot ofadvanced belts there also, 3 blacks, 10 or so browns, and 20-30 purples. If your in Philly I would definatly recommend checking them out.

www.balancestudios.net

Delbjj said:
The best thing for you to do is to go to both schools and check it out for yourself. I have never been to maxercise. Balance is hands down the best place that I have been to train. The migliarese brothers are the instrucors and are both world class. There are alot ofadvanced belts there also, 3 blacks, 10 or so browns, and 20-30 purples. If your in Philly I would definatly recommend checking them out.

www.balancestudios.net

The Migliarese brothers also host the JJ email pyramid...good stuff.

Thanks for the response. I do plan on checking them both out in about 3 months. It looks like balance only offers 3 begginner classes a week, or am I reading that wrong. Also, what is it a month for unlimited training? Maxersice is $200 a month. I will be able to train 5x a week at night, and all day classes 2x a week.

How close do you live to Philly? Let me recommend Tai Kai Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It is in Newark De, so if you live outside of Philadelphia, it might be just as close.

I recommend the school I train at, Philadelphia Mixed Martial Arts. www.phillymma.com Ive been training there for like 9 months. The instructor, Brad Daddis, is really good. Danny Ives also teaches there. We do alot of technique during class but then we roll alot too. Its a pretty laid back environment, not intimidating at all. Check it out.

I've been to balance...they are really cool over there....a lot of really good guys. Plus the facility itself is pretty cool....it has that old dojo feel....you feel very zen and calm in there....like you're learning something old-school...plus Phil armbarred babalu in tournament match...and that's all I gotta say! This guy knows his stuff.

I live about 30 min. northwest of Philly. I will definitly check out Balance. Any comments on Maxercise though? I'm also going to check out the Rio grappling club. It has 2 BB from brazil. Alex "britto" and Roberto Atalla. They are actually not far at all from me.

If you live NW of Philly (Conshohocken, King of Prussia, etc.) you should definately come to Rio Grappling Club (Brazilian American Jiu-Jitsu Institute). We have an awesome group of guys. We have alot of new guys in addition to alot of high level grapplers, it's a nice mix. We have class every night and most days we have multiple classes available.

Class schedule is Mon, Wed, and Fri morning at 7am...Tues and Thurs lunch class at 12pm...Tues, Wed, and Thurs night at 7:30pm...Tues night there is a beginners class (open to everyone) that is all technique and no sparring...Friday night at 6:30pm...and Saturday at 11am. Also, Monday night we have class in Collegeville at 8pm.

Shoot me a pm if you want more info, I can give you Alex's cell number if you want to talk to him before you stop by. Balance is also a great school, Phil and Rick are great guys and are both really talented. I have been there before and the training was great. If you are close I would check it out, if you are outside the city it can be tough to get down 76 at night, I would take back roads through the city. I've never been to Maxercise or Phillymma, but I know Brad Daddis and Danny Ives are really talented guys.

school's website www.bajji.com

Alex's email [email protected]

Yeah, my brother trains at Rio grappling club. Mainly at the collegeville site. I also trained there for 2 months before him. That's when Sergio was still there. I moved during that time, and have to get knee surgery in about 3 weeks. Once I rehab, I plan on moving back between the downingtown/philadelphia area. I really like Alex's teaching and I hear they have another guy named Roberto Atalla. I'm just trying to keep my options open depending on where I live.

Roberto was just visiting for a couple weeks, although he may be back again in the fall. Who's your brother?

His name is Brian. He is still a white belt, but I think he is getting his blue very soon. He mainly trains at collegeville, but he has been training at downingtown. He has been there for a year now. What's your name? And what school do you train at? Maybe we trained together.

Also, I know you don't want to put down your own school, but what did you feel were maybe some things better at Balance than Rio and the other way around.

I just moved into carlisle. Does anyone know any good schools around there? I checked out all of the choices i have in the city(they suck), but havent checked on base.

Chesty LaRue said:
His name is Brian. He is still a white belt, but I think he is getting his blue very soon. He mainly trains at collegeville, but he has been training at downingtown. He has been there for a year now. What's your name? And what school do you train at? Maybe we trained together.

My name is Jim, I mainly train at Downingtown, but I go to Collegeville on Monday nights...and if your brother is the Brian that I think it is, then I'm the villain that broke his nose:)

And if it is him then tell him congrat on his blue belt...or I can tell him tonight.

Chesty LaRue said:
Also, I know you don't want to put down your own school, but what did you feel were maybe some things better at Balance than Rio and the other way around.

I haven't trained at Balance enough to tell, I just went to a seminar that they had. It was a really good seminar with alot of useful techniques. It is my personal opinion that if you are new to BJJ then you should just go to which ever school is easier to get to. You are in a no lose situation, if you go to Balance you will get great instruction and all of the guys there that I've met are really good people...likewise at our place. In the past I would have said that the area we lacked in was the same reason that we got such great teaching, we had rather small classes. The number of people we had training at a given class would range from 2 or 3, to maybe 10 or 12 and that was with 2 Brazilian black belts. We had class every night and 2 times a day most days. This limited the amount of people you had to roll with at some classes...but meant that your instruction was almost 1 on 1 with a 5th degree and 1st degree black belt. We have gotten alot of new people over the last couple years and especially lately. Classes now are usually about 8-10 people, and still every night and 2 times most days.

yeah that was him. I happy to see he finally got the blue. I'm looking to start training again in January or February. It looks like I will end up training at your school.

Back