Training in Orange County

Legendnutz

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, i don't have much mma practice and i am looking to start training somewhere in Orange County. Does anyone know or recommend of mma training facilites that are worth the money?
So far this is what i've found, but before i make a 1 year commitment i would like to know what you guys thinks. Thanks for the posts.

1. Todd Medina's Fight School in Newport Beach

2. Gracie Barra in Costa Mesa

3. No Limits in Irvine

Any info on the schools would be greatly appreciated.

there is o.c. kickboxing in irvine. they seem pretty complete. they have mma, boxing, jiu jitsu, muay thai, savate.

rigan machado also has a place in redondo beach.

how much is a decent price for MMA? Im 5'9 240lbs so, obviously im overweight. Should i lose weight prior or just start training. Would i wasiting my money if i started now, or lost 20lbs?

how much is a decent price for MMA? Im 5'9 240lbs so, obviously im overweight. Should i lose weight prior or just start training. Would i wasiting my money if i started now, or lost 20lbs?

I would go with Gracie Barra, its BJJ not MMA but if your completely new you would do yourself a favor by building a base in one discipline first. As far as losing weight first, just jump right in, youll lose probably lose 30 pounds in the first 2 months. You'll start to feel improvments in your cardio by the third week, assuming you go at least 3 times a week.
Jump right in dude your gonna love it.

Cleber Jiu-jitsu

In Huntington.

Clebers a black belt under Rickson and Royler.

I've been around to quite a few in Orange County and some in LA County and my favorites are De La O jiu-jitsu in Stanton and Erik Paulson's in Fullerton.

http://delao.i2mmarts.com/default.php - doesn't appear to have been updated in awhile

http://www.erikpaulson.com

De La O is 125$ a month month to month, 110? a month with 6 month, and $90 a month with a yearly.

Paulson's is $150 a month with a yearly, $135 if you sign up with a friend for a year. I think there is also a month to month of $175 or something like that...

No Limits huh? Real nice there, but too expensive and you're more like a customer than a teammate.

Pricing depends upon what you're looking for. Did you want to just do general MMA training? Just BJJ? Just striking? Separate classes in BJJ and striking? You have a lot of options. Lucky for you there's a ton of great places to train at in the OC.

Personally, I would just start training now. With consistent quality training, you'll get into shape fast. Of course, it wouldn't hurt if you started working on your cardio now .

Start today. 5'9/240# is not a good BMI.

Try Cleber. I've seen him and his guys roll in tournaments. They are good and seem to have a real solid camaraderie. After you build a good ground game and get in good shape then bring in the striking. It works for the Brazilians.

Option # 2. you wont regret it

GB Cosa Mesa is run by Mike Buckels. He's a BB under Carlos Gracie Jr in JJ, a Brown in Judo under Master Juan Montenegro, and a Certified Muay Thai Kru instructor directly under Master Toddy in las vegas. The training there is about technique and not who is the toughest guy. I've trained at a couple places like Clebers & etc, and this place is by far the best instruction i have gotten.

The website there is

http://www.graciebarra-costamesa.com

I train at Todd Medinas. he is a BB under Carlson Gracie. I obviously like the gym I am at.

You should try a class at each gym and see which one fits what you are looking to do.

dont forgrt about Ralph Gracie in Anaheim.
it has 2 black belts Brad Jackson and Bruno Paulista who is a world champion. huge place. 2 stories 2 mats good price. $150/month for unlimited.

Thanks for the post, it is helping me with my options. I love the jiu jitsu game, don't really like the gi but from what i understand it is better to start with a gi then take it off. Other than that i have decent boxing skills but need help learning the correct way to kick and combinations using punches, kicks, and knees. I have a solid wrestling background which i feel is really good.

You've also got OCJJ in Lake Forest and Ralph Gracie BJJ in Anaheim.

I would go to Rounders MMA and Boxing in Santa Ana. They got everything here. Real Muay Thai, Real Pro boxing classes, Brazilian Jiujitsu class, and MMA classes. check them out at RoundersMMA.com

I would go to Rounders MMA and Boxing in Santa Ana. They got everything here. Real Muay Thai, Real Pro boxing classes, Brazilian Jiujitsu class, and MMA classes. check them out at RoundersMMA.com

You do realize this thread is from 2008, right??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back