training for Jiu-jitsu without doing Jiu-jitsu

dallas405

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
hey guys, heres the deal, ive been training BJJ for almost a year now and im about to leave for 1 month and a half for a tour with my band and so i will not be able to train at all for that time. i am hoping i can leave and come back ready to go again and be in better jiu jitsu shape.

so i ask you, if you were in my shoes what would you do and what excersizes would you do so that when you came back you moved better than before?

obviously nothing can be as good as actual training in the academy so please refrain from retarded common sense things such as saying that.

thanks for your help.

Stretching.

If you're gonna be on tour, dunno what else you can do.

get into random street fights and throw in arm bars left and right

but dont lose...

or work on flexibility/conditioning

jump rope that is a great way to keep cardio up without needing a lot of space.

at least for conditioning u can take a copy of Scrappers workouts n stay in shape

find a gym in the one of the cities you are touring or just practice on a groupie either way you win

Play football (or what Americans call soccer). Perhaps it would increase you hip and leg dexterity.

I brought a kettlebell on tour. Doesn't take up too much space and gives you quite a bit of bang for your buck.

A month wouldn't really get you out of jiu jitsu shape, I mean you still would have the knowledge and skill you learned which is the most important thing. Probably stretching and cardio would be best since you have no gym.

There are a ton of 1 man drills you can do on a daily basis. Get a routine that involves like 30 minutes of 1 man drills and 20 minutes of stretching. That will work BJJ movements, cardio & flexibility. If you can find a gym in the cities you are in, jump in for whatever you can. And of course, try and Jiu Jitsu your friends while drunk cuz that's just fun.

haha, thanks armbarking! thats the kind of stuff im talking about, some good 1 man drills to help my movement so when i come back in moving even better than before, i plan on running and doing alot of exersize but i need some good one man drills to do, if anyone could help me out on finding some great ones i would owe you one!

haha, thanks armbarking! thats the kind of stuff im talking about, some good 1 man drills to help my movement so when i come back in moving even better than before, i plan on running and doing alot of exersize but i need some good one man drills to do, if anyone could help me out on finding some great ones i would owe you one!

Stephan Kestings DVD is a very good collection of basic drills. Check it out here: Grappling Drills

If you have space and time, I would recommend more of a Ginastica Natural approach. But it takes some time to get good at without feeling like an idiot doing it. It is basically grappling movements and conditioning blended into one. You are encouraged to make up your own moves and be creative.

"Gin

use your band mates as training dummies.. haha.

Band mates probably not, but one of the people at RGA, who is also regularly away from training for long periods due to his band, works his grappling with one of the sound guys when on tour. So might be worth checking if any of the technical staff are into BJJ and willing to roll.

Could also be a good opportunity to do some reading - e.g., Beneville.

i dont know where id even be able to roll, no gym duders. we play a show in a different city every night so im not going to have time to visit other gyms even though i will be passing through alot id love to train at. i need some sweet one man drills to help out.

those andre galvao vids do rule the school, we do alot of that stuff as warm ups in my gym actually.

i dont know where id even be able to roll, no gym duders.

I seem to remember the guy I mentioned brings some mats along in the tour bus, not sure though. CGJJ over on EFN does something similar (also travels a lot with his job), but then in his industry he can presumably draw on some decent resources.

shrimp across an area with a skippery floor, be eplosive.
an if there are grassy/sandy hills available, bear crawl up them at a sprinting pace. Jiu-Jitsu version of hill running.
if you have a swiss ball, you could practice mobility while staying heavy on top.
You can always practice your breathing too.

Back