Training 5 days a week

AaronWindy

White Belt
Reaction score
When I started Jiu-Jitsu over three years ago I was only doing it three times a week at most. I felt as though I was training enough and was happy with my progression. Over the last three month I began training 5 days a week. At first I thought that it would be too much strain training pretty much every day during the week but I have experienced such a massive leap in my Jiu-Jitsu skill I can hardly believe it. I understand that more mat time inevitably means you'll get better quicker but I never thought that it would make this much difference in such a short amount of time.

My question to everyone is have you experienced anything similar to what I've gone through in the past three months. A time period in which you decided you were going to train much more than normal. Perhaps you've been training 5 days a week since you started and have seen yourself rise above the people around you at a much quicker rate. Thanks for the feedback!

I was also wondering if people could comment on what the breakdown of their training was per day. Was it more technique with less rolling or vice versa. Thanks.

I was also wondering if people could comment on what the breakdown of their training was per day. Was it more technique with less rolling or vice versa. Thanks.

Depends on where you are in your training. For brand new beginners, you'd want mostly technique, with a little situational drilling.

As you get more advanced more and more time is going to have to go into situational drilling, which will be mixed with technique additions and refinements from trial and error, and having a good coach.

But basically you got those 3 pieces:
- Static technique work
- Situational drilling
- Full sparring

The right balance isn't a static thing. Early in training it will be one thing. Several months from competition it will be another. Leading up to a competition it will be another.

IMO situational drilling should always be high, followed closely by rolling, then reps on core and favorite techniques and finally new stuff for more advanced practitioners.

ive been going 3 days a week but my school offers 5 days so i've been considering going those days too but thought it would be the same strain as u. but noe after reading about your improvement i really want to.

our class is 2 hours and usually goes like this: warm up(run, side steps, front and back rolls, hip slides down length of mat, pushups and and ab work). technique of the day(get a partner and practice it) usually we have about 3 a day that we drill. and then for the last 45 minutes we train and switch partners every 10 minutes or so.

I saw a big difference in my game when I started training 5 days a week. You just have to be careful not to burn yourself out... If you're to fatigued you really don't get as much out of training.

I usually do 4 to 5 days a week but if my body is telling me to chill out, I take a day off.. Congrats on the improvements you've been making.

I train 6 to 7 days a week. Somedays I train twice a day usually wednesday and thursday. Friday is open mat or i go to BJJ class at my other school. Sunday is wrestling takedown class.

I saw a big difference in my game when I started training 5 days a week. You just have to be careful not to burn yourself out... If you're to fatigued you really don't get as much out of training.

I usually do 4 to 5 days a week but if my body is telling me to chill out, I take a day off.. Congrats on the improvements you've been making.

Thanks man, I agree with making sure not to burn yourself out. I vary up which days I train each week to a certain degree to make sure that doesn't happen. Sometimes you gain more by taking a day off.

The biggest leap in my game came after taking 7 months off due to a shoulder injury. While injured I watched a lot of BJJ matches and instructionals. When I came back I felt 100% better than before I got hurt. It was great.

i'm going 3 times a week, around 1.5 hours each session and it's a squeeze as it is with life/work, etc. i would like to go 4 times a week, at least, but my schedule just won't allow it. on off days though, i like to do other activities that i like to think contribute to an overall better bjj experience, like run, or weight lift.

i envy those with the ability to go more often.

The biggest leap in my game came after taking 7 months off due to a shoulder injury. While injured I watched a lot of BJJ matches and instructionals. When I came back I felt 100% better than before I got hurt. It was great.

Oddly enough, I feel the same way. The few times I've been hurt enough to skip BJJ, I have felt great when I come back. Think it has something to do with the lowered expectations/pressure, which makes me more relaxed. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere, but whatever, let's roll

I started training 4-5 days a week earlier this year, my game has never been tighter.

Classes are 1.5 Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Unless we are getting ready for a tournament it's usually an hour of technique (minus warm-up, of course), then a half hour of sparring. Usually it's "positional" sparring, so we can try and work the technique we just learned.

Classes on Mondays and Wednesdays are 2 hours. We spend about 45 minutes on technique (again minus warm-up) and then like an hour and 15 minutes sparring.

It's been truly great for my game going to more classes. My transitions, explosiveness, stamina, response time, it's all gotten so much better.

Last edited:
The more you train the better you will become! I have been training at the 4 year mark although I have not been consistent and 3 days is a good week for me 2 days is average and I have taken a few breaks!

There are guys at my academy that have been training 1.5-2 years at 5 days a week and they are a little better than me! The more you train the better you will become! Most true bjj competitors will train at least 4 times a week!

Listen to your body. If you can train more than 3 times a week, then do it! It can only help you unless you overtrain. I work full time (but being an IT consultant I get to work from home), am a little older (32) and have an active social life during the weekends, so I usually shoot for 5 times during the week (twice on Thursday, I go during lunch) and lift 3 times MWF. Saturday and Sunday are recovery periods unless I take a private lesson on Saturday.

I've found that yes, I do make bigger gains when I go more times during the week, however, I still and will continue to hit plateaus. However, as I said, listen to your body and make sure to rest when you can.

Good nutrition is key to not only making this training schedule easier, but maintaining it.

As for breakdowns:

M-W-F mornings - Work out Run 5-8 min, Weighted Pull Ups, Deadlifts or Squats (alternating days), and Flat Bench Press. I follow a heavy day Monday, medium day Wed, and really light day Friday.

M W - I try to get to class early and drill reps for 20 minutes. Usually just one move over and over along with its variations. Then I do hip drills until class begins. From there its about 20-30 minutes of technique, then 30-45 minutes of sparring. When I roll with people lighter than me or are white belts, I try and concentrate more on technique and try to use not too much of my strength. This allows me to not burn out since I worked out earlier in the day.

Tu - This is just our advanced class, blue belts and above. 20-30 min of technique, then 30-45 min of sparring. Here, if I outweigh my partner I still try to use technique, but often I'm going about 90-100% as our guys that I outweigh are still beasts on the mat. A week or 2 before competitions, I let my sparring partners know that I am getting ready for comps and try and push myself cardio wise. Going for sweeps when I'm tired, doing a standing guard pass when Im tired, etc.

Thur - This is new. I have been going both in morning and night, so that way I can keep my weekends open while being able to train 5 times a week. REST is HUGE! During the morning I train like the MW class. At night I train like the Tu class.

I can't emphasize enough eating right. EAT CLEAN!! I follow a strict diet during the week and during the weekend I just pig out.

Man, I totally rambled didn't I?? Sorry for over-info!

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback from all of you. Sometimes it's nice to just get a feel for what other Jiu-Jitsu guys (and gals) are doing and what's working for them.

Back