trainer question..

pr0ne2gr8tness

Orange Belt
Reaction score
having read through the boxing history classics how vital is the trainer fighter combination .. i was wondering is their a trainer that can be thought of as one of the best ever? my gut feeling is that it is a victim of circumstance having a great trainer and a great fighter.. one without the other doesnt seem to matter?

anyway top trainers = 1)angelo dundee 2)teddy atlas 3) emmanuel steward

^^ feasible?

Yes and no.

One of the problems with the question of trainers is the truly Great ones are guys that rarely get mentioned or get much credit, because a guy can be called a Great trainer for numerous reasons. Teddy Atlas, for instance, is not the best Boxing mind in the business per se. What he is, is extremely organized, dedicated when his system is adopted, truthful, and consistent, which are very Great qualities, some of which Steward doesn't share.

If I had to pick greats I'd be inclined to name guys like Tommy Ryan, Bouie Fisher, Eddie Futch, Dick Saddler, guys that aren't often talked about but could be credited with Great performances from Great Fighters on more than one occasion.

it always seems to be that a great trainer will always be linked to a great fighter... watched a tv documentary on teddy atlas and his corner motivational work seemed second to none (moorer)

Why wouldn't a Great trainer be linked to a Great Fighter?

Truly Great trainers are linked to more than one Great Fighter.

Back