Traditional Martial Arts After BJJ?

jaysculls

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Have any of you ever started a traditional martial art after BJJ? I respect all martial arts because I feel there is a martial art for everyone so to me traditional martial arts isn't a waste of time as it benefits many people.

BJJ is for certain types of people, Karate is for different types of people, etc. Besides Muay Thai, Boxing, Judo, Wrestling

I know tons of people who started BJJ after a traditional martial art but has anyone done the opposite? And I guess I mean in conjunction with your BJJ training. Not to replace it but just as a different change of pace.

If so what martial art did you start?

Last edited:
Im sure a lot of people have started Judo after BJJ..

I started judo, but I am still training BJJ not sure if you mean "after" as in stop doing BJJ and replace it with another art.

Besides Muay Thai, Boxing, Judo, Wrestling. And I mean either during or after.

1. since when is bjj not a traditional marial art...?
2. why would you want to take up a martial art that doesnt work in real life after u do bjj?

not personally but we had one guy train with us for about a year and leave to do aikido, he said he preferred the more rigidly structured approach... he used to complain a lot about not getting graded at BJJ though....

I would like to learn aikido, i find the art interesting.

2. why would you want to take up a martial art that doesnt work in real life after u do bjj?

1. Since it's not been around in it's established form for over 100 years I guess (the equivalent "traditional" version might be Judo or JJJ).

2. To appreciate the culture and custom, and get a sense of history maybe. To take part in something that might expand your mind in different ways, without having to be 100% proven in modern combat.

Semantics. The way the term "traditional martial art" is used these days - it generally refers to East Asian martial arts that aren't combat sports in the western world, and hence, styles that are not too common in MMA.

Shiets and giggles.

Besides Muay Thai, Boxing, Judo, Wrestling. And I mean either during or after.

i doubt many do.

I mean, after training in styles that actually work and you get to practice them against a resisting opponent, who is going to go back to kata and air kicking?

A BB at our school has specifically told me that he's studied Capoeira and Tai Chi and that they have both greatly benefited his BJJ game. Does studying a style to benefit another style count?

i doubt many do.

I mean, after training in styles that actually work and you get to practice them against a resisting opponent, who is going to go back to kata and air kicking?

I fail to comprehend the blatant generalization in this (& other) forum regarding TMA's.
Most (probably 98%) of you are kids who haven't actually trained in ANYTHING, let alone in any art long enough to actually know anything about it.
There are McDojo's for every MA (they are starting to pop up in BJJ according to some of the threads in this forum) but that doesn't mean that the MA they purportedly represent are worthless.
I started training over 38 years ago (boxing) & have trained in a variety of styles in the ensuing years (Karate, Kung Fu, TKD, Judo, JJJ, BJJ, Hapkido, etc.), every school that I attended included full contact sparring against other students.
Of course every school I attended also produced fighters & I carefully examined each school prior to actually attending in order to weed out the McDojo's.
For all of you who want to trash TMA's.... EVERYTHING that you do in a style that "actually work" decended from a TMA. If you can't seperate a McDojo from a reputable school that doesn't mean that a particular style is worthless, IMO it reflects more upon your lack of understanding.

I'm not trying to infer anything upon the poster quoted, it was just the closest post showing prejudice against something without any rational knowledge.

I was thinking about this the other day and yes I fall into this category.

I've been training BJJ for about almost 3 years now and I moved to japan recently for work. I'm training judo now to keep the grappling up and also to improve my nagewaza as much as i can. BUT

I've been taking up shotokan karate classes from a 4th dan 65 yr old man. On a side note, this guy is just like yoda, he moves super slow and appears like a slight breeze would knock him over but when it comes to practice time he is fucking bad ass!!!

I would say that i have a new found appreciation for karate, when i was a kid i did TKD and thought it was a waste of time then and then i found BJJ and that sentiment even increased. But it's very relaxing to just go to the dojo practice the katas and work really hard to improve your skills. It's an interesting dynamic in that BJJ is completely individual but at the same time there is someone else who is involved in your progression/stagnation. i.e. well i had a bad day cause my partner was rolling really well or i did amazing today maybe my opponents were really easy for some reason. But in karate, along with many other TMAs, your form and techniques outside of kumite or randori are completely dependent on your focus and I find it very interesting to find ways to improve my stances or ameliorate my technique.

one can argue the practicality of TMAs in a real life situation, but one of the golden rules of most TMAs are to avoid fighting at all costs unless absolutely necessary, with that mentality you can see why plenty of people can still enjoy something that wouldn't work in "real life"

I know I was negative towards the grappling portion it in another thread but I would join a HEMA in a heartbeat, bash people with swords all day, not ghey fencing or lame kendo

just full on whack people with wooden swords

I understand that a lot of "TMA's" are not as tough and not as realistic as BJJ but I also understand that there is a martial art for everyone. Just because Tae Kwon Do isn't as affective for most people doesn't meant there isn't a valid reason for having it around. That goes down to people having different reasons for training.

I enjoy all martial arts but i've never trained in all of them extensively.

I've wrestled, have and still train Judo, and I'm a Black Belt in BJJ. I've competed a lot and I still compete.

As Shen said it's nice to have a change of pace. I guess I'm going into it with a different mindset because I'm coming from an extensive background in BJJ first and "non TMA" martial arts.

(I'm not concerned with the definition of TMA - while I may be wrong I'm using it to describe the most common martial arts used in MMA such a bjj, wrestling, boxing, judo, muay thai).

Also since most Karate isn't up to par with Kyokushin karate. I'm not putting karate in the MMA category.

Can anyone list the different types of martial arts out there for me (and also different karates as well)?

I understand that a lot of "TMA's" are not as tough and not as realistic as BJJ but I also understand that there is a martial art for everyone. Just because Tae Kwon Do isn't as affective for most people doesn't meant there isn't a valid reason for having it around. That goes down to people having different reasons for training.

I enjoy all martial arts but i've never trained in all of them extensively.

I've wrestled, have and still train Judo, and I'm a Black Belt in BJJ. I've competed a lot and I still compete.

As Shen said it's nice to have a change of pace. I guess I'm going into it with a different mindset because I'm coming from an extensive background in BJJ first and "non TMA" martial arts.

(I'm not concerned with the definition of TMA - while I may be wrong I'm using it to describe the most common martial arts used in MMA such a bjj, wrestling, boxing, judo, muay thai).

Also since most Karate isn't up to par with Kyokushin karate. I'm not putting karate in the MMA category.

Can anyone list the different types of martial arts out there for me (and also different karates as well)?

when you said shen, were you referring to me?

as for karate there's

shotokan
gojuryu
shotokai
wado ryu

there's a couple more im forgetting but these are some.

what about...

aikido
kenpo
Tae Kwon do
hapkido
wing chun
jeet kune do (maybe not traditional given it's inception)
soo bahk do
kung fu (which has so many disciplines within itself i.e shaolin and all the animals)

i'm drawing a blank...

That would be virtually impossible since just about every shyster who ever studied more than one style "invented" a "new" style & pronounced themselves the "grandmaster" of it. :icon_lol: (IMO this is where a lot of the disparaging of TMA comes from, & rightfully so)
Beyond that there are styles which vary from others in such minute amounts as to be almost indistinguishable from each other.
I have a book at home that I picked up sometime in the early 90's that tried to list all the styles from each geographic region but it failed to list several that I was aware of. If you're really intersted I'll see if I can dig it up, but I'm kind of busy over the next few days- BJJ class & a test in my Spanish class (besides work).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back