Traditional boxing stance vs. wider stance?

Prodigal Son

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I notice I start off with the basic orthodox stance I was taught and when I'm moving around I still maintain the stance, but when I'm really trying to avoid punches or throwing hard I tend to develop a wider stance and knees are more bent - lower to the ground. I think I like being low and feel more comfortable with my punches with a wider stance. Right now I don't have access to a trainer and have to ask older former-boxers who just want to spar me. My stance seems to naturally change a lot as well, I think part of it is an issue with my balance and the other is a comfort level with my movement. Moving around the ring - traditional orthodox then it when about to engage or avoid punches, knees bend more and wider stance.

Any suggestions? Is this wrong? I guess I could ask some guys at the gym...they are way ahead of me and can switch stances like nothing, but seem to be better sparring partners than trainers.

Lateral movement will be more difficult with the wider stance. Actually, ANY movement will be harder. You see a lot of guys plant with wider feet when they are about to sit down on their punches to throw.

Lateral movement will be more difficult with the wider stance. Actually, ANY movement will be harder. You see a lot of guys plant with wider feet when they are about to sit down on their punches to throw.

Exactly what if feels like and was going to say I can sit down on my punches a lot better. What about weaving, should weaving be harder with a wider stance? I feel like I can get really low with knees bent even more - but maybe a balance issue.

Edit: After further review it really isn't that bad - but when I throw my right straight and step in I seem to get a little wide. Does this leave me open more to counters. Also, I would like in the future to transition to Thai Boxing and they have a much more upright posture from what I've seen. Thanks again. :)

in the end stance all boils down to personal preference. What all of my coaches have recommended to me, and I think make sense, is to train in a very orthodox fashion.

As you have noticed, when you spar and punch your feet tend to seperate anyways, you'll tend to drop hands and flail when sparring anyways and this is inevitable, and weaving, head movement will be exagerated when you get hit anyways, so when training solo it's best to keep everything orthodox and as tight, clean as possible.

Back