Tournament problems

K

K-Style

Hey guys just wanted your opinion on this. I have been having a problem at my last few tournaments lately. I seem to be focusing too much on submissions when i compete. As a white belt I was able to get way with this and win tourneys but since I got to blue belt it seems to do nothing but get me in trouble. My last two tourneys I will get up by several points on my opponent then go for a submission when I don't really need to and get reversed and subbed. I can't seem to get out of the submission mindset even if it puts me in bad positions. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I just start drilling positions in class and not even go for submissions? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks,

Sounds like your issue is securing position. A lot of new people give a lot of space from the position to when they're attacking. Drill that until you don't.

You're obviously good at subs, but struggling with your positional work - so just work extra hard in training on the latter.

A lot of people focus on one (usually sucky) part of their game at a time. Focus on your guard and maintaining side/top/back control. If there's a particular positon you struggle with / get swept from consistently, ask your instructor for tips.

Have a couple of competition matches at your school after class or something.

Have someone coach you to not rush things when you are ahead on points. Take your time and secure your position first. Practice listening to your coach in a competitive situation.

The ability to listen to and obey a coach in a competition is very important. It's something to practice in and of itself.

Back