Torn Rotator Cuff and Torn Labrum

right hand lead

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So my #1 fighter in my stable (Bryc Palmer MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com) his rotator cuff and labrum in a freak acciddent back in July. He ended up getting surgery late August/early September.

From what the doctors say, they have no idea if his shoulder will ever be back to 100%. This is a very sucky situation, especially because his money punch is his jab and left hook. I've tried to do some research online about this kind of situaition in combat sports and the only thing I can find is what happend to Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy (who has never been the same after tearing his rotator cuff).

Anybody go through this or no somebody? Any tips or advice? Should I focus on his right hand when he gets better? Anything?

Thanks for readin guys....

I tore my labrum (tendon conecting shoulder/Collerbone correct?) It was extremely painful because my shoulder would seize up when ever I relaxed my arm. Everytime the muscle spasmed the pain would be terrible and I wore a sling for a month and a half and couldn't even lift my arm at all for close to that long.

I had no insurance as I was finishing college and no longer played college athletics so surgery was out of the question. I was a wrestler/football player in HS and played 2 years of football at the JC level before quitting so I was build well and in decent shape. Without surgery I was lifting and playing BB in around 6 months. My shoulder still only felt like 85-90% and would click or pop all the time. Still does occasionally.

There are different degree's of separation as well(1st, 2nd, 3rd). I think mine was first or second degree separation (first being the most serious) but its been 8 years so I'm not sure which. It was 3 or 4 years before it felt "almost 100%". It was never and will never be the same.

From what I understand a torn rotater cuff is the more serious an injury. A torn labrum is a common injury in football and most player make a full recovers w/ surgery very quickly. Some atheletes can even play through the injury if the separation is second or third degree(see Jim Mcmahon former Bears QB who played with two torn labrums at the same time). I don't know how he did it as I could barely move mine and when I did it would seize up. I can only assume that when a shoulder has been injured multiple times it kinda becomes similar to that ankle you always roll. It hurts but not as bad as it did the first time you injured it. As far as you partner/fighter, he might just need some rest depending on the degree of separation but if he tore or somehow injured his rotater cuff I think he'll be out for a while.

Last edited:
I also tore my labrum in wrestling my senior year and missed half the season, and it ended my season after I had returned. It has been 2 1/2 years and I still cannot throw anything normal. My shoulder will randomly hurt after certain movements. And it really restricts strength when your arm is extended too far to your side. For months my arm would slide out of socket and I wouldn't realize it til it moved back in and hurt like a sob. My strength returned, but reinjury is kind of imminent.

I am recovering from my surgery in late Aug right now. I had alot more issues in my shoulder though. It's a long road but the answer is physio, just don't push too hard but hard enough. A bit of a balancing act.

I tore both of those as well, and the subscalpularis major all on the same shoulder. I was out for 6 months after surgery just doing therapy. It has been over a year since the surgery and it still tweaks when I spar, I doubt it will go back to 100%.

Blew my labrum out last year and had it repaired. I'm not 100%, but I'm much better now. Maybe 70%... ? It was definitely worth it as I'm not in pain on a daily basis any longer. Just tell him to take recovery and rehab seriously, which I didn't do. I was taking arm out of the sling and shadowboxing a week later, which is extremely stupid.

ouch man. i know Jeff Lacy has never been the same since that injury. Ive had some problems with my rotator cuff and my shit has never been the same. i can still train, but i do miss being able to throw hard left hooks.

good luck to you and your fighter man

Yeah, he'll certainly never be the same as in 100%, but it's a huge improvement, pain-wise, over where I was before the operation. I know he did some other stuff while he was in there -- spring cleaning, I guess -- and everything seemed to go great except for the fact that he didn't stitch me up, so now I have about four or five gnarly scars on my shoulder. Builds character or something, right?

The doctor also handed me a CD after the operation that included videos of the surgery, which was pretty neat. I put two of the videos up on YouTube, for some dumb reason:

YouTube - Posterior labral tear repair

YouTube - Posterior labral tear repair

I totally forgot how to embed YouTube videos here.

How did you guys do this tear? I am paranoid it will happen to me because I have had shoulder issue, tendonitis, etc.

How did you guys do this tear? I am paranoid it will happen to me because I have had shoulder issue, tendonitis, etc.

Honestly, I have zero idea how it happened.

i was talking to other local fighters/strikers, and frrom what they said and what you guys said, it seems like a 100% percent recovery is not likely. :(

glad to hear that it has happend to other people and that you guys have bounced back.

good question

my guy rolled on his shoulder akwardly during grappling class

Back