Top King Shin Guard Sizing

Muaywulf

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, I've read a lot and hope to learn much here.

Anyway, I've searched the site and found the sizing chart for Top King shin guards(the revised one by fightstuff), but the thing is I'm only 5'7" and about 148. My shin is 15 inches from the bottom of the kneecap to the instep. According to the chart I need an XL, but I can't believe I would need an XL in anything! Also my feet are only about a size 9, so I'm afraid it would be too big in the foot region as well.

Is the sizing due to smaller people in Thailand or what? I see guys over 6 feet saying they have the XL on here, seems crazy for me to wear the same size. Let me know what you guys think, I'd really appreciate it!

Another guy had the exact same question in PM. Here's my answer:

I'm 5'9 150 and the medium sizing's were perfect. From the bottom of my knee to the top of my ankle bone there is 14 inches of shin.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f16/to...uards-1218911/

This Top King retailers here on Sherdog says mediums only go to 13 inches.
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f16/to...uards-1218911/

Topking of UK says otherwise:
Search | Top King Boxing - Official UK and Ireland Site

Go with the mediums and you should be safe. My brother is 6'1 240 and his large's are fine for him. I don't think you'll need those.

I am 5' 7" 155lbs with 13.5-14" shins and had a hard time choosing between sizes S and M. Some sites said SMALL was 12", others said it 13", and some said 14".

Well I just picked up a size SMALL and the shin measures exactly 13" inches from the tip of the neoprene webbing to the top the shin guard.

The length is good (hits right below the knee standing), but the straps are way too short; the top strap doesn't even close halfway and the bottom strap is actually popping off--- and I'm not even kicking anything yet. It's not like I have ridiculously large calves/ankles ether.

I really think I should exchange them for a Medium because 14" actually sounds ideal.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I work out a lot and my calves are around 16 1/2". So dimensions are 15 inch shin length, and 16 inch or so calves. You think a medium or a large? At this point med sounds best but will they go around my calves? You guys are a big help.

Maybe this will help. An eBay seller used height instead of shin measurements to choose sizes:

Size : S : under 5'7", M : 5'7" to 5'12", L : 5'12" to 6'3" and XL : 6'3" and up.

I think M will work, but seeing how you have 15" shins, L might be even better. The difference would only be plus/minus an inch. It's the straps you should be concerned about if you have thick calves.

Last edited:
Maybe this will help. An eBay seller used height instead of shin measurements to choose sizes:

Size : S : under 5'7", M : 5'7" to 5'12", L : 5'12" to 6'3" and XL : 6'3" and up.

I think M will work, but seeing how you have 15" shins, L might be even better. The difference would only be plus/minus an inch. It's the straps you should be concerned about if you have thick calves.

I agree Cheesesteak, I think a large is what I will go for. 15 inch shins and 16 inch calves make me leary of a medium even if I am a midget. lol. Thanks for the help everyone, going to make the order now.

Hi Guys,

Please see below the sizing:

S = 12 - 13"
M = 13 - 14"
L = 14 - 15"
XL = 15 - 16"

Try not to go off your height, because it's not relevant to the size of shin pads you will need. It's better to go off your actual shin length.

Thanks,

John

Hi Guys,

S = 12 - 13"
M = 13 - 14"
L = 14 - 15"
XL = 15 - 16"

Try not to go off your height, because it's not relevant to the size of shin pads you will need. It's better to go off your actual shin length.

Thanks,

John

With 13.5"-14" shins, I think exchanging for Medium would be a good choice for me then. Do you know if the straps with stretch over time or will they 'seem' longer after your shins mold into the padding a little?

With 13.5"-14" shins, I think exchanging for Medium would be a good choice for me then. Do you know if the straps with stretch over time or will they 'seem' longer after your shins mold into the padding a little?

The straps feel really solid, at least on the Creative's. Genuine leather with hardcore stitching: I wouldn't expect them to stretch any time soon.

Hi Guys,

S = 12 - 13"
M = 13 - 14"
L = 14 - 15"
XL = 15 - 16"

Thanks,

John

Those are small. Do they make XXL? What about guys with big calves. Mine are over 18".

All Thai shin guards are made in Thailand, so I'm sure if you talk to someone with the right hookup, as in someone who deals straight from a shop, then you can get them specially made. FightStuff might be able to help you.

yeah Law Bob Loblaw is correct. We can get the stuff made to size. However production time is slow at the moment, so the turnaround will not be quick. Probably looking at 8 - 12 weeks.

I just surprises me they are made so small.

Back