top king 16oz or fairtex bgv1 16oz? help me

LOWKICK87

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hey guys, I need your help.

what would be better suited for me, fairtex bgv1 or top king 16oz air/ult/pro

I prefer smaller gloves but what are the top king 16oz like for sparring? unrealistic, just to big ? weird ? any1 got them and spar with them?

these are my 14oz top king, but im going to get 16 instead or fairtex, i havnt used them for sparring yet going to sell them but yeh they are big gloves even the 14oz, thats the only problem i have with them, otherwise imo they are the perfect gloves.

i like to punch a bit harder in sparring , so maybe the tk are better but then the fairtex are smaller and more closer to fight gloves which makes it better for your fights. what do you guys think?

thanks guys.

I just got the top king 16s. Little on the big side, but I like em a lot.
good sized hand compartment as I have hands on the larger side, and it was comfy with my wraps.....No complaints from sparring partners, but I did notice the fairtex that my sparring partner used was a little firm on the receiving end.....I recently saw some 16s from gorilla fight gear that looked pretty nice too, but I'm totally happy with my TK 16s.

thnx for the reply have you used the fairtex aswel? can you comment on them?

I would rather go Fairtex, but that may be just me. I'm not a big fan of King/Top King gloves. For Muay Thai I normally go with Fairtex, Twins, Sandee or MTG, not in any particular order.

hey guys, I need your help.

what would be better suited for me, fairtex bgv1 or top king 16oz air/ult/pro

I prefer smaller gloves but what are the top king 16oz like for sparring? unrealistic, just to big ? weird ? any1 got them and spar with them?

these are my 14oz top king, but im going to get 16 instead or fairtex, i havnt used them for sparring yet going to sell them but yeh they are big gloves even the 14oz, thats the only problem i have with them, otherwise imo they are the perfect gloves.

i like to punch a bit harder in sparring , so maybe the tk are better but then the fairtex are smaller and more closer to fight gloves which makes it better for your fights. what do you guys think?

thanks guys.

I personally hate Fairtex gloves. The pair I owned kept my thumb in an awkward position and I injured the joints. They're a bit hard to get a hold of, but Raja imo are some of the best gloves I've ever used. if size is an issue for you, Raja is the way to go. Someone once complained in sparring that I was using gloves that were too small for my weight. I showed them that I was actually wearing 16's and they were amazed. The rajas are super compact. They look slightly smaller than Top King 14's.

thnx for the reply have you used the fairtex aswel? can you comment on them?

Never used them, but my sparring partners have them. They are a little solid/firm on impact... when I first starting sparring with them, I snuck a glance to make sure they were 16 and not 14s. Not that big of a deal, but noticeable to the guy who is receiving the blows..... if you care about that kind of thing of course..

fairtex overated? maybe?
do the the size of the tk gloves make it hard to spar ?

im pretty happy with my fairtex but my twins hand compartment feels more comfy but the fairtex is slightly more roomy.

ive had no complaints about sparring maybe cause i dont spar wit bitches or im not hitting hard enough, just kiding i tend to pull punches so ppl dont hate me at the end of the day

Fairtex (BGV1) are a very good glove. I have used them for many years before switching to Top King. My only issue with the Fairtex gloves is the velcro closure is crap. It tends to lose it's ability to close about 6 months in.

I think if you look at all the Thai brands bar Top King / King the construction is very similar. They are a traditional "Muay Thai" glove and that has not really changed over the years. Whilst this was fine in the initial years I think the training needs have moved on from those days. Personally, I want a glove that offers good wrist support and a larger hand compartment, so I can get my hands in whilst wearing wraps.

King / Top King do offer this. However if you have used other Thai brands the actual sizing and the long cuff will come as a shock. I also had my apprehensions when I started using the gloves. For more details have a look at http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/top-king-boxing-gloves-16oz-995368/.

I am not saying the gloves are perfect, but they suit my training needs. I think when purchasing equipment you have to consider how you are going to use it, because certain brands are slightly better at making certain products than others. Try not to get caught up in the whole brand bubble and instead look at your training routine and what brand will best suit that.

One of the reasons I don't like the Top Kings is because they are too big in my opinion.

do you know how much bigger the tk 16oz are compared to say other thai gloves such as twins/fairtex/boon/windy 16oz? anyone can put a pic comparison maybe ?

please

If they're too big use 14oz. I use King 14oz for sparring/padwork and they are perfect.

I like to spar a bit harder so I want the most protection I can get for my sparring partners face, thats why Im looking at 16oz but maybe too big tho.

I like to spar a bit harder so I want the most protection I can get for my sparring partners face, thats why Im looking at 16oz but maybe too big tho.

I just got these: Lonsdale Professional Sparring Glove - Lace-www.Ringside.com

I have them in 18oz and their size seems comparable to other 16's I've used. I have heard people say that Lonsdale's don't last too long. I just got mine so I don't have any personal feedback on this. These gloves are pillows! I'm not a big puncher but I have great hand speed for my size which is why I got these. Perfect when sparring smaller or less experienced partners.

Also they're on sale at Ringside for $90 and if you used coupon code NSF1 you get free shipping :)

I think you should never go lower than 16oz for sparring gloves unless you are like 120lbs.

I just got these: Lonsdale Professional Sparring Glove - Lace-www.Ringside.com

I have them in 18oz and their size seems comparable to other 16's I've used. I have heard people say that Lonsdale's don't last too long. I just got mine so I don't have any personal feedback on this. These gloves are pillows! I'm not a big puncher but I have great hand speed for my size which is why I got these. Perfect when sparring smaller or less experienced partners.

Also they're on sale at Ringside for $90 and if you used coupon code NSF1 you get free shipping :)

Never used Lonsdale but what I have always heard is that the quality is no better than Everlast, which I personally do not like.

Let us know what you think once you get more mileage on them.

Back