• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies TOP GUN: MAVERICK (Named Best Picture by National Board of Review, post #1201)

If you have seen TOP GUN: MAVERICK, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Haven't seen it yet.

With the success it's made, any chance we will get a Risky Business 2?

Haven't seen it yet.

With the success it's made, any chance we will get a Risky Business 2?

I'm thinking there's a much higher chance of a remake of...

8SGNGtWDOTbbT9XsMTgfoVHGb2s.jpg

I saw it last night in a standard theater, and think I'm going to see it in IMAX again this weekend.

In Cruise I trust, and after watching YouTube videos on the filming process to make the flying scenes look as realistic as possible...this movie will hold up for another 36 years atleast. Unlike say Jurassic Park, and how the dinosaurs in the new one look shittier/more unrealistic than they did in 1993.

Deserves all the praise it's receiving! Could have turned out a lot worse but I thought they did well! Cruise has to be on Cloud 9 with the reception this film is receiving and the fact he was right to wait and put it in theatres!

Bro it’s so worth it in IMAX.

This might be the first movie in my life that I watch for a second time in the theater, because those flight scenes were just so much damn fun in IMAX.

Once it leaves the theaters, you won’t get the chance again.

I saw it last night in a standard theater, and think I'm going to see it in IMAX again this weekend.

In Cruise I trust, and after watching YouTube videos on the filming process to make the flying scenes look as realistic as possible...this movie will hold up for another 36 years atleast. Unlike say Jurassic Park, and how the dinosaurs in the new one look shittier/more unrealistic than they did in 1993.

Bro it’s so worth it in IMAX.

This might be the first movie in my life that I watch for a second time in the theater, because those flight scenes were just so much damn fun in IMAX.

Once it leaves the theaters, you won’t get the chance again.

It didn't take much, but you sold me. It was funny because even walking out to the parking lot, it seemed like people were so amped to even drive fast(similar to Fast and Furious opening night), and we heard roughly 5 cars peeling out leaving the theater. <45>So I obviously made the joke of "those guys clearly have the need...the need for speed!"

My only thumbs down part of the movie, and the only thing stopping me from giving it 10 (for a ten it's gotta be perfect...9.5-9.75 from me...normally I round up but you can't round up to a 10)
After Mav was shot down, avoiding the chopper, Baby Goose saving him then getting shot down, then him and Goose Jr stealing a Tomcat that was ready to fly....

Other than that, one of the most engaging thrill rides of a movie I've seen in the Theatres in a long time.

Casting on point, soundtrack, suspense and action all very engaging.

Just like Maverick in the film, the Old Dogs of Hollywood can still crush the arrogant upstarts.

Update: June 6, 2022

TOP GUN: MAVERICK Scores Record $90 Million 2nd Weekend; Crosses $550 Million Globally

pAcc7XHSJq6krHBPZ2EUMH.jpg

Joseph Kosinski’s Top Gun: Maverick is showing no signs of slowing down.

The Paramount and Skydance tentpole, starring Tom Cruise, is doing massive business in its second weekend. The sequel earned $90 million to boast the smallest decline ever — 29 percent — for a movie opening domestically to $100 million or more. Shrek 2, which launched to $108 million in 2004, fell 33 percent, according to Comscore.

On Sunday, Paramount’s estimate was $86 million, but better-than-expected traffic drove that number up.

Top Gun: Maverick has now earned $295.6 million through Sunday in North America and $557.2 million globally. Top Gun 2 continues to fly high overseas, where it is likewise holding strong. It earned another $85.8 million this weekend for a foreign tally of $261.6 million. (Actual weekend numbers came in ahead of Sunday estimates overseas as well.)

On Saturday, Top Gun: Maverick became Cruise’s top-grossing film domestically, surpassing 2005’s The War of the Worlds ($243.3 million), not adjusted for inflation. That’s after zooming past the first Top Gun ($180.3 million) and Cruise’s Mission: Impossible films, including the last installment, Mission: Impossible — Fallout ($220.2 million).

Internationally, Top Gun: Maverick is already well ahead of the $176 million earned by the first Top Gun, not adjusted for inflation. The U.K. leads with $39.7 million. However, it is far from matching many of the recent Mission: Impossible films at the foreign box office. One reason — the sequel isn’t getting a release in China or Russia.

The movie’s overall performance is a huge win for the summer box office and shows that people are eager to return to theaters after two years of sparse Hollywood product due to the pandemic.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...-top-gun-tom-cruises-biggest-film-1235158714/
I cant remember what i asked from before, but i either predicted this would make more than dr strange 2 or it should make more than whatever last memorial weekend record was.....

Fuck, what was that question

My only thumbs down part of the movie, and the only thing stopping me from giving it 10 (for a ten it's gotta be perfect...9.5-9.75 from me...normally I round up but you can't round up to a 10)
After Mav was shot down, avoiding the chopper, Baby Goose saving him then getting shot down, then him and Goose Jr stealing a Tomcat that was ready to fly....

Other than that, one of the most engaging thrill rides of a movie I've seen in the Theatres in a long time.

Just like Maverick in the film, the Old Dogs of Hollywood can still crush the arrogant upstarts.

Really though I think thats the kind of thing that would have been out of place in the original film which is more grounded but this film is more larger than life all the way though, escaping a 10K test crash landing at a diner, blowing up a bond villian base, stealing the dogfights generally, etc. If the original is First Blood then this is Rambo 2.

I'm pleased for the director as well, Tron Legacy deserved to do much better than it did.

Really though I think thats the kind of thing that would have been out of place in the original film which is more grounded but this film is more larger than life all the way though, escaping a 10K test crash landing at a diner, blowing up a bond villian base, stealing the dogfights generally, etc. If the original is First Blood then this is Rambo 2.

I'm pleased for the director as well, Tron Legacy deserved to do much better than it did.

There's an acceptable level of cheese, and my example went over it IMO. My buddy who I saw it with compared it to some Iron Eagle level cheese.

Hell of a movie though.

There's an acceptable level of cheese, and my example went over it IMO. My buddy who I saw it with compared it to some Iron Eagle level cheese.

Hell of a movie though.

Really I felt the film as a whole worked by ramping things up as it went along, after the opening it went reasonably down to earth before things got progressively more over the top. It did I think actually end up being more like a classic Arnie/Sly film in that respect but kept the drama/romance a bit more realistic.

I tend to think its easier to judge "good or bad" with one viewing, a bit harder to judge between "good and truely great" so I'd reserve final feelings on it a bit.

Last edited:
Really I felt the film as a whole worked by ramping things up as it went along, after the opening it went reasonably down to earth before things got progressively more over the top. It did I think actually end up being more like a classic Arnie/Sly film in that respect but kept the drama/romance a bit more realistic.

I tend to think its easier to judge "good or bad" with one viewing, a bit harder to judge between "good and truely great" so I'd reverse final feelings on it a bit.

I'm an hour out of the theater Sherbro. That sequence was what stuck with me as a "down" IMO

Again not a bash of the movie which was the most fun I've had start to finish in a very long time.

The fan service was excellent tom cruise basically fellated me on his knees with the fan service. It was cheesy but I loved the cheese.

The F14 was ridiculous they should have busted out that mach 10 stealth plane instead at the end.

I didn't not appreciate them having gorgeous ass phoenix to dilute the homoerotic football game with her fine-ness.

I almost cried a tear when they showed the photo of goose and his kid and he was singing the same song at the bar.

It was a fun theater experience actually a perfectly tailored film for a theater with pov from the jets.

While this film was good I will say that it is very overrated as a masterpiece it did not do nothing too unique I dont think time will be kind to this film.

Last edited:
Would have been funny if they made rooster trans.

Loved the movie! Had goosebumps in the opening scene. Appreciated the nostalgia with all the photos. Especially the one with Ice and Mav, seeing how young they were. Made me feel old.

I wish it could get one more weekend before Jurassic World tanks it. I wanna see this thing hit a billion

Eh, hopefully not. The Jurassic World movies are beyond dogshit and Top Gun Maverick is shaping up to be an all-time classic. I won't be surprised if JW takes #1 but I'm pulling for Maverick to keep it at bay. What are the chances JW takes #1 for a week and then Top Gun comes back and reclaims the top spot?

Funny, in response to when the spoiler first started, I leaned over to my buddy and said "Oh shit, are we going to get an Owen Wilson Top Gun/Behind Enemy Lines crossover?"<Lmaoo>

Back