• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies TOP GUN: MAVERICK (Named Best Picture by National Board of Review, post #1201)

If you have seen TOP GUN: MAVERICK, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Just watched it. It's a fun time but the story is pure dumbassery.
I found it dumb that they didn't have like a fleet of F 117 bombers or similar planes bomb the sam missiles first they probably would have flown too high for radar and the enemy planes. Then have like maybe 30 top gun pilots do that mission instead of the number that did it maybe have the navy also continuously bombing the air strip with 2 carriers instead of one.

I found it dumb that they didn't have like a fleet of F 117 bombers or similar planes bomb the sam missiles first they probably would have flown too high for radar and the enemy planes. Then have like maybe 30 top gun pilots do that mission instead of the number that did it maybe have the navy also continuously bombing the air strip with 2 carriers instead of one.

Yeah, I think even a 12 year old can think of a simpler way the US Navy can implement to take out that plot-device target.

Thing is, this was the Tom Cruise show all around so he focused on the stuff he wanted to show that he could do. This is a recipe for a lot of plotholes kind of like in the last Mission Impossible where a doctors-without-borders lady ended up disarming a nuclear device lolol.

Christ, I can see it now. With how pussified the real life military is becoming it's only a matter of time before servicemen have their "pronouns" on their helmet and/or uniform.
<{clintugh}>

Also, look at this:

top-gun-maverick-2022-tom-cruise-movies-poster.jpg

page-header

I find it funny that they put the black guy on the poster. The dude was a minor side character. Why not put Hangman in that spot? You know, one of the main characters? And just in case anyone really cares about ""representation"" the hot senorita Phoenix is on there.

But I suppose they were worried about movie theaters being burned down and such.
<{hughesimpress}>

yeah. woke Hollywood types are OBSESSED with this stuff. Like you, I spent a lot of time looking at the ethnicity of each person on the movie poster and really thinking about what it meant from a political pov.

Interesting business dynamic right now re the theatrical window. Supposedly 120 days & requires Cruise to approve any change.

Seems to be the sort of movie that could actually play that long. On the other hand. Paramount is motivated to get it on their streaming service sooner if possible. I can’t imagine that Paramount+ has a better idea for a catalyst to drive subs.

this is all a good problem to have but curious how it plays out. Cruise has been outspoken about the “theatrical experience”

yeah. woke Hollywood types are OBSESSED with this stuff. Like you, I spent a lot of time looking at the ethnicity of each person on the movie poster and really thinking about what it meant from a political pov.
It took maybe 3 seconds. Thanks for caring enough to chime in though.
l@nd0

I've seen it in 4DX and IMAX, and definitely preferred the IMAX experience. It may have been the Regal I was at though. The seats for the 4DX weren't comfortable at all to began with, which made the volatile and intense movements rather rough.
Considering the nearest 4DX theater is like 3 hours from me, I think I'm just gonna pass. I'm hoping my local Cinemark will show it in XD again. They normally only show 1 movie in XD at a time but right now they're splitting it between Jurassic World, Lightyear, and Elvis. Now, Elvis I can uniderstand, but the atrocious Jurassic World and Lightyear?
<{1-17}>

I’d never heard of 4DX before, checked and saw my local theater has one and is showing Top Gun in it.
I already saw it in IMAX, is 4DX better?

Considering the nearest 4DX theater is like 3 hours from me, I think I'm just gonna pass. I'm hoping my local Cinemark will show it in XD again. They normally only show 1 movie in XD at a time but right now they're splitting it between Jurassic World, Lightyear, and Elvis. Now, Elvis I can uniderstand, but the atrocious Jurassic World and Lightyear?
<{1-17}>

I’d never heard of 4DX before, checked and saw my local theater has one and is showing Top Gun in it.
I already saw it in IMAX, is 4DX better?
The seats move and there can be flashes of light, smoke, and mist during the movie depending on what's happening. From what I hear it's like *whatever movie you are seeing* The Ride.

Sold. :cool:

The seats move and there can be flashes of light, smoke, and mist during the movie depending on what's happening. From what I hear it's like *whatever movie you are seeing* The Ride.

Yeah, I think even a 12 year old can think of a simpler way the US Navy can implement to take out that plot-device target.

Thing is, this was the Tom Cruise show all around so he focused on the stuff he wanted to show that he could do. This is a recipe for a lot of plotholes kind of like in the last Mission Impossible where a doctors-without-borders lady ended up disarming a nuclear device lolol.
Or just fly high enough to avoid radar ........ drop a Moab on the site ......... call it day. Have cruise missiles take out the Sam's as well as runway.

But force movie was first movie u have seen twice in theater since the first John Wick

Or just fly high enough to avoid radar ........ drop a Moab on the site ......... call it day. Have cruise missiles take out the Sam's as well as runway.

But force movie was first movie u have seen twice in theater since the first John Wick
I mean, yeah, realistically it wouldn't have gone down at all like in the movie. But it's a movie so it's not that big of a deal.

Thing is, this was the Tom Cruise show all around so he focused on the stuff he wanted to show that he could do.
I loved that. I'm not a fan of treating the previous main character like a side character in the sequel. I love that the beloved main character from the previous movie is still the main character in this.

Back