Top 5 Comic Book Movies

This is tough.... So many great ones. I mean it's really a genre I enjoy. I even like the movies that other people hate. Green Lantern, Blade 3, Superman 4. Sometimes just a really cool fan moment or easter egg in a movie is enough to have made it worth it.

I have to go with Avengers Infinity War. It was epic, large scale, and meaningful with character cross overs. It had a Great Villain. It took 18 movies to build to that one. It delivered and culminated in Endgame becoming the highest grossing movie of all time after the success of Infinity War.

This is tough.... So many great ones. I mean it's really a genre I enjoy. I even like the movies that other people hate. Green Lantern, Blade 3, Superman 4. Sometimes just a really cool fan moment or easter egg in a movie is enough to have made it worth it.

I have to go with Avengers Infinity War. It was epic, large scale, and meaningful with character cross overs. It had a Great Villain. It took 18 movies to build to that one. It delivered and culminated in Endgame becoming the highest grossing movie of all time after the success of Infinity War.

Yeah, one cool moment in an otherwise less than great movie can do it for me too.

I know people seem to not like JL, but I loved the scenens when the other heros try to stop Superman when he comes back to life, with little success. I also liked when Superman just destroys the big bad, like no problems at all for him.

The Flash-Supergirl crossovers did this well too, really captured how much more powerful they are than the rest.

Thats a horrible list ts

Its

Spiderman 2
Tdk
Watchmen
Blade
Aand maybe crow

No particular order

The Crow had some poor aging moments.. but also has 2 of the best villains in cinematic history..

giphy.gif

David-Patrick-Kelly-as-T-Bird-in-The-Crow.jpg

1. Punisher: War Zone
2. Blade
3. Ultimate Cut of Watchmen
4. Iron Man
5. Road to Perdition

Yeah, one cool moment in an otherwise less than great movie can do it for me too.

I know people seem to not like JL, but I loved the scenens when the other heros try to stop Superman when he comes back to life, with little success. I also liked when Superman just destroys the big bad, like no problems at all for him.

The Flash-Supergirl crossovers did this well too, really captured how much more powerful they are than the rest.
Yeah I liked the scene where Supes beat his team. Especially when flash was running and then you can see Supes can perceive him at that speed and he tosses everyone and then turns his attention to the flash. Cool moment.
Thought they missed the mark though when he was able to whoop Steppenwolf so easily. The movie is only as good as the villain. This was a team up movie. It should have required the entire team to beat him. Much like End game did with Thanos. In stead they had to take Supes out of the fight for a period by having him go rescue civilians to make the fight entertaining.
This is where a lot of hero movies fail. There has to be a risk of losing (or at least perceived... I mean we all usually know that the hero is going to have to win in the end). Take Captain Marvel for example. Reason I cite this as being such a crap movie was there was literally nothing she had to over come except her memory loss.
Another cop out is to have the hero face just a bad version of themselves (Except Superman 3 as that was cool). Black Panther for example. At least in Ironman 1 he had to face off against a bigger stronger version of himself (Iron Monger). Superman 2 he had to face three other Kryptonians and in Man of Steel it was an entire army of them.

Yeah I liked the scene where Supes beat his team. Especially when flash was running and then you can see Supes can perceive him at that speed and he tosses everyone and then turns his attention to the flash. Cool moment.
Thought they missed the mark though when he was able to whoop Steppenwolf so easily. The movie is only as good as the villain. This was a team up movie. It should have required the entire team to beat him. Much like End game did with Thanos. In stead they had to take Supes out of the fight for a period by having him go rescue civilians to make the fight entertaining.
This is where a lot of hero movies fail. There has to be a risk of losing (or at least perceived... I mean we all usually know that the hero is going to have to win in the end). Take Captain Marvel for example. Reason I cite this as being such a crap movie was there was literally nothing she had to over come except her memory loss.
Another cop out is to have the hero face just a bad version of themselves (Except Superman 3 as that was cool). Black Panther for example. At least in Ironman 1 he had to face off against a bigger stronger version of himself (Iron Monger). Superman 2 he had to face three other Kryptonians and in Man of Steel it was an entire army of them.

I dunno man, I like JL as a Sups return movie more than teamup.

The hero facing the evil version of themselves is tricky. My fav was Buffy vs. Faith. Tbf, it was preinternet p0rn, and I was a teen so …..

I dunno man, I like JL as a Sups return movie more than teamup.

The hero facing the evil version of themselves is tricky. My fav was Buffy vs. Faith. Tbf, it was preinternet p0rn, and I was a teen so …..
Yeah it's not always bad. That one worked as Buffy typically fought vampires so it was a good change in villain. She also wasn't the big bad that season and it was the Mayor who was being creepy Daddy to Faith.
It's cool sometimes. I like Captain America vs Red Skull too where they're similarly powered. Obviously in story telling Man vs. Self, or Man vs. Man are two of the most used conflict types.
I think the best ones are where they are opposites. Something to over come, a weak spot. Like Lex Luthor is as smart as Superman is strong. Or Joker is as crazy as Batman is mentally discplined. Or where they are so powerful the have the attributes of the whole team like Thanos.

Avengers: Endgame
Avengers: Infinity War
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Joker

I have unorthodox choices...

5. Man of Steel
4. The Avengers
3. Batman Begins
2. Batman (1989)
1. The Dark Knight Rises

TDK hasn’t aged well.
Batman Begins has always been its better.

I just tried and can’t narrow it down to a top 5.
Joker is the only Batman related movie that is in consideration.
Logan and Deadpool are the only X-Men related movies in consideration.
(I think my top 4 are pretty solid), can’t pick a #5

Logan
Deadpool
Joker
Guardians of the Galaxy
Infinity War
V for Vendetta
Watchmen
Captain America The Winter Soldier
Iron Man
Hellboy 1 and 2
Blade 2
Kick Ass

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-Man 2002
3. V For Vendetta
4. Logan
5. Civil War

And for the hell of it -

6. X-Men 2

Haven't watched all the Marvel movies. I need to catch up.

I loved Joker, but only seen it once so its hard to rank it among the GOAT comic book movies.

Deadpool
Iron Man 1
Infinity War
Guardians of the Galaxy 1

Special mention:
Avengers 1 - Plot was simple but it laid the blueprint for comic crossovers. And DC still fucked it up.

Akira
Oldboy
Ghost in the Shell
Persepolis
Lady Snowblood
Ichi the Killer
Ghost World
A History of Violence
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Batman Returns

Deadpool
Dark Knight
Watchmen
Iron Man
Winter Soldier maybe.....first 4 I have confidence in, 5th is up for debate. I also enjoyed Batman vs Superman for the unpopular choice

I would have Shazam in my top 5 for sure.

This, not a movie but potential is there.
095.gif

I mean to be fair that was specifically listing non superhero films to make a point, how you rate entertainment cinema against art cinema and the crossover between the two is never easy.

I didn't really considered anime for some reason, maybe because something like Akira seems like an extension of the source material rather than someone else making a film of it years latter.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World is definitely undervalued for me, I think if you like Edgar Wrights style that film is arguably the purest version of it. I'm guessing a lot of people turn their noses up at it due to the "coffee drinking hipster" culture it features but really a lot of the film is poking fun at that culture.

Last edited:
Blade 2

I saw that in the theaters and it's easily one of my favorite movies ever...

I quit watching TV like 10 years ago, so I literally have not seen any of the newer movies..

Blade 2 is a classic though. Enjoyed it a lot more then Blade 1.. The final fight in Blade 2 was amazing..

Back